Questions about 2nd AC install

1adam12

I have a 2011 Heartland Elkridge 35QSQB 38ft (50 amp service) that only has one AC installed on it (I can’t imagine why). When camping in the summer in direct sun light, this thing gets pretty warm. I want to have another AC installed but am hoping someone can help me with a couple of questions. I am concerned with “tripping out” a breaker while running two ACs. The guy at the dealer said I need to check to see if I have an extra 20 amp breaker for the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] AC and said that I need to check to make sure my converter was around 60 amps. I know how to check for the breaker but I have no idea where the converter is. Currently, if I am running my AC and coffee pot and then plug in a toaster oven or the girls plug in a hair dryer, I will trip a breaker. And now I am wondering how my unit will handle another AC without tripping out. So what I need help with is 1 – where is the converter and how can I tell how many amps it is? 2 – Do you think I will have a problem tripping breakers when I install a 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] AC? Thanks, Adam

***Please let me know if you think I should have posted this in the HVAC section.

danemayer

Hi 1adam12,

You may need to find another dealer to do this. The Power Converter has almost nothing to do with the air conditioner, except that the thermostat uses a tiny amount of 12V or 5V DC power, and the thermostat may use 12V to fire a relay that powers the A/C unit. This is very minor. You don't need to check anything on the converter with respect to a 2nd A/C unit.

As for the breaker to run the 2nd A/C unit, yes, you will need an additional 20 amp circuit breaker, unless the factory already put one in. The bedroom A/C position is often pre-wired for 120V and possibly for a thermostat.

If you look at your main circuit breaker panel, the first question is whether there's already an unused breaker set aside for the 2nd A/C unit. If not, is there a blank space for one. Next, the load has to be balanced across the 2 power legs that make up your 50 amp service. Each leg delivers 50 amps at 120V. So you would want the living room A/C unit's breaker on one leg, and the bedroom A/C unit's breaker on the other leg. On some circuit breaker panels, the breakers on the left all go to one leg and the breakers on the right all go to the other. On other breaker panels, they alternate as you go from left to right. Your dealer tech should understand which you have as soon as he looks at the breaker panel.

If the factory didn't install an unused breaker for you, and there is a blank, it's very simple to add a breaker. If the loads aren't balanced, breakers may have to be moved around in the panel to achieve balance between the loads on Leg 1 and Leg 2.

If there are no blank spots in the panel, the solution is to get a twin breaker where a pair of 20 amp breakers are made as a single unit and fit in the space of a normal breaker. Lowes and Home Depot and similar stores carry these.

The hardest part of the install would be running the wire between circuit breaker and A/C unit, if the factory didn't pre-wire it.

If the factory didn't pre-wire for a wall thermostat, that could be another tricky part of the install.

If the dealer installs the 2nd unit correctly, when on 50 amp service, you'll have no problems with tripping breakers.

1adam12

danemayer - everything you said makes perfect sense. Fortunately, I understand when you mentioned the "two 50 amp legs" topic because I learned this after wiring in 50 amp service at my house for my camper. I will investigate what I have when I get home this evening. The converter advice camp from Camping World.

Gaffer - I have tripped both at different times. But mostly, it is the 50 amp outside on the pole at the camp site. When this has happened it's been in the morning during breakfast (AC on, coffee pot on, and a griddle plugged in outside cooking bacon and my wife turn on the hair dryer or something). I'm probably just trying to run too much stuff at once. I have learned to sling me a drop chord under the trailer to cook the bacon :D

1adam12

Yap...I have two 20 amp breakers in my panel. One for the 1st ac and one labeled 2nd AC. I should be good to go.