Good Sam RV Insurance- National General

Lynn1130

About a month ago I put my RV into "storage" with National General who is Good Sam's insurance company. If you call for a policy through Good Sam your insurance is actually with National General. Today I get a check from National General for $116 so I call them to see what this is about. It turns out that while your policy is still in effect, they send you the remaining premium for the year when you go into storage. So I tell them I am going to take it out of storage effective July 6th. They tell me that I owe $128 for the premium for the remainder of the year from July 6th. WHAT? I lost money on the storage deal that Good Sam promotes on their Web Page. Their promotion for their insurance says that insured members can save up to 53% and possibly up to $400 by using storage.

So I call Good Sam to ask them about this. What I got was "did you discuss this with the insurance company?" yes, and now I am calling you to make you aware of false advertising by Good Sam. Now we go into an attempt by the "customer service" rep and I use that term lightly to explain that not all receive those mentioned benefits. I don't see that in the advertisement which I draw her attention to and read to her. It is pretty clear that you will benefit up to 53% and perhaps save $400. So now I question her attempt to "justify" the ad and this rep transfers me to her supervisor, who starts on a rant about their insurance and the fact that National General writes the policies, that I cannot get a word in at all, so I finally, through his continued rant, say "Nate, I am ending this conversation, Nate, I am ending this conversation, Nate it is my turn to talk and then hang up. I now have a call into Nate's supervisor to tell him that the whole reason for calling was to point out the misinformation on Good Sam's page. $12 is chicken feed and not worth getting excited over but if you advertise that the customer is going to save money, then the program should not cost the customer money. Oh, and right before I hang up a say, as Nate is still rambling on, " I sure hope this call is recorded".

I have not been very impressed with Good Sam and their customer service reps need some in-depth training in customer service.

danemayer

Back in 2010 when I was comparing insurance plans, I looked at Good Sam and the savings when in storage. As I recall there were 2 aspects of the coverage that made it a poor fit for us.

First, I think there was a minimum length of storage limitation. If I'm remembering correctly, to realize the savings, you had to have the unit in storage for a minimum of 1 month. Given our travel plans, I didn't expect we would have very many full months. And there was a notification requirement that would have had me calling them quite frequently to turn coverage on and off.

Second, I think the savings came from the Collision portion of the premium. The Comprehensive component had to be left on while in storage. I think I recall that by turning off the Collision coverage, if someone were to collide with the trailer while in storage, I would have to recover repair costs from the person who caused the damage. With collision in force, insurance would pay for the damage and they would try to recover from the person who was at fault.

It's been 6 years, so I may not be remembering the details 100% correctly. And of course, things may have changed. But I do remember that the savings for our situation would not have been that great, and I came away thinking there would be insurance gaps while in storage. So I passed.

Lynn1130

You are pretty much on. Our situation is that for many months we may be home and not using or traveling so it would fit our use, that is if not for this fubar.

Lynn1130

Today I got a call from Good Sam apologizing for the misinformation their agents put out and for the demeanor of the agents. Shortly after that I received a call from National General saying their agent made a mistake when figuring my new premium and that it was lower that the refund I received. Yesterday was not a good day for either but at least they corrected their errors.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Lynn1130 - so sorry about all your problems. We had National General (aka-Good Sams) without a claim but after hearing all the problems that others had, we decided to dropped them. Since then, they have continually tried to contact us to re-instate but no deal.

Lou_and_Bette

We had NG for 3 years without a problem, annual rate about $1500.00. Dropped rig on truck bed, no damage to RV, $8000.00 to truck. NG settled claim reasonably well (some foot dragging.). 4 months later, time to renew and new rate would be $4800.00. Wow, expected some increase but 300%? Changed to Miller insurance agency for $2500.00 and, like Nabo, GS/NG now keeps sending me emails saying they " want me back and can save me money,". No way

rjr6150

We shall see how they treat a customer. Have had them four years with zero claims. Getting ready to leave for a trip and had our LM out horrendous hail storm came through about 4 MST. Did a number on the ODS graphics, J Channel and couple of cracks in the gel coat along with the AC covers and shower dome. Adjuster called today he will be here tomorrow in the pm. At this point both the claims agent and adjuster have stated my choice where to take it.

Anyone have recommendations for the Denver-Greeley area. One shop that I found is Diversified Body & Paint in Denver.