12 volt control of 120 volt circuits

Robb

I noticed the ceiling fan 120Volts is controlled by a 12 volt switch as is the awning a.c. outlets.
I am assuming the are relays some ware. If so does anyone know where they are in a 2014 29Rksa Elkridge.

Thanks.
Robb

danemayer

If by "12 volt switch" you mean a smaller rocker type switch, they are sometimes used to carry 120V. For example, Suburban water heaters use small rocker switches in the path of the electric heating element, which draws quite a few more amps than an awning or ceiling fan.

You can pull the switch out and measure the voltage on the back to see if it's 120V AC or 12V DC.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I would think there has to be a relay or something. I would hope there's not 120V in those crimped push on connectors on the back of that 12V control panel.

SNOKING

I would think there has to be a relay or something. I would hope there's not 120V in those crimped push on connectors on the back of that 12V control panel.

I think you will find a combination of AC and DC in that same panel! There really should be a warning on it that 120V is on some of the switches. Chris

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Confirmed It is all 12Volts
The ceiling fan switch, and the 120v water heater switch, and everything else on the back of that panel is 12v. Well technically 13.2volts right now.

1a64ae31095516bdbf74838899417ec4.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I would think the water heater control relay would probably be at the water heater. And I'm guessing the fan relay might be by the fan. I've been all-over under my basement and all through my wiring harness behind the control panel many many times and haven't seen any.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Bones

Well I have to work on a door strut this weekend, so I will have to scope that out. If those black relays have 120V on them I wonder why they did not use the insulated/hooded crimp on connectors? Chris
I didn't trace the black relays below. The 120 volt ones are in the electrical box on the top right. I think the other relays are used for some other control circuits.

SNOKING

The black ones look like automotive on closer exam, maybe they are for an awning? Like the new tow vehicles, these trailers are becoming quite complex, most likely leaving some repair tech that are not techie in the dark. Lucky I spent my working years doing techie electronic things starting with electronics school in the USCG.

Chris

Bones

The black ones look like automotive on closer exam, maybe they are for an awning? Chris
it is possible. One day I'm going to sit in there again and have the DW use the switches so I can see if they energize.