Planning cross coutry trip (next year, maybe)

RamblinFever

We just finished a month long trip to see the national parks in the four corners area. Our traveling friends have suggested that we do a cross country. I'm thinking of mid April to leave from N. Cal and take the southern states, then east coast and nothern tier to WA and back home. I'm estimating three months and about 15,000 miles. We can utilize RPI facilities as well as military, commercial, and possibly a night or two in a Walmart. I'm sure there are many of you who have done this so suggestions are WELCOME!

danemayer

Jim,

Before taking this trip, you should evaluate your tires. If the date code is more than 3 years old, even if they look ok, you should start with new tires. Many people have had failures with Towmax tires. If that's what's on your Elkridge, you should replace them regardless of age.

Unless you know the history of repacking the bearings, you may want to have them inspected before leaving. And you should take a close look at the suspension. Particularly the shackle links. If they are showing signs of wear (elongated holes for example), they need to be replaced.

RamblinFever

We just purchased the trailer last month. The dealer has their tech go through it thoroughly. If anything needs replacement, it gets done. All the servicing is taken care of so the new owners do not have to worry about a thing. By the time we start the trip, we'll have some pre trip maintenance to do I'm sure. We have our other trailer, 26 ft. Viewfinder out on the four corners trip. Thanks for the input.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Jim,

Before taking this trip, you should evaluate your tires. If the date code is more than 3 years old, even if they look ok, you should start with new tires. Many people have had failures with Towmax tires. If that's what's on your Elkridge, you should replace them regardless of age.

Unless you know the history of repacking the bearings, you may want to have them inspected before leaving. And you should take a close look at the suspension. Particularly the shackle links. If they are showing signs of wear (elongated holes for example), they need to be replaced.

I second this, as a previous ElkRidge owner. Please check your tires and change them, upgrade to a load range G tire of you can. You will have zero tire worries. If they are load range E, you will have potential problems. Too many bad reports of blowouts, even with exceptional care and maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

Currently has Goodyear Marathons. Should be good to go.

You may want to review the NHTSA database on tire complaints for Goodyear Marathon. Here's a link. Since Goodyear shows up under at least 2 variants, and Marathon under 2 or more variants, these 99 complaints are only a portion of the reported problems.

If you don't want to upgrade to Load Range G (Sailun or Goodyear G614), you might consider Maxxis.

RamblinFever

You may want to review the NHTSA database on tire complaints for Goodyear Marathon. Here's a link. Since Goodyear shows up under at least 2 variants, and Marathon under 2 or more variants, these 99 complaints are only a portion of the reported problems.

If you don't want to upgrade to Load Range G (Sailun or Goodyear G614), you might consider Maxxis.

I haven't purchased tires locally for a long time. Mostly for my GoldWing and get the tires from Tire Rack. Is there a good vendor to go to for RV tires? The Marathons on the trailer were manufactured March 2014. The G614 I found was considered light truck instead of ST for a trailer.

Tundra2084

If you want a good, easy on the pocket tire, then the Maxxis is a great tire, if you want a load range G tire to replace those Marathons you can also use the Sailun 637s tires. The Sailun 637s are a commercial grade tire that is 14 ply, and rated for 3960 lbs each. They have no complaints that I can see and are a heavier tire. You Should be able to purchase either tire from discount tire or tire rack. If your looking for Sailun 637s they are listed on the Sailun.com site under the commercial tires.

Good luck on your trip and as said before repack bearings, check shackles for wear, check brake pads, and ALWAYS remember that a dealership is there to make money AND they don't do more than they have to as far as maintenance when selling a used unit. Once out the door it's not their problem it's yours.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Here's some pics of 4 year old shackles, before and after.

44e096493835e2af921e5cb2837a9311.jpg

Before. Notice the bolt doesn't look centered through the shackle and spring eye.

ca852e5828924ee12e149ab3d6894c94.jpg

After. Notice the bolt is now centered.

05ac70f33b9bda77038d3b415a885e92.jpg

New shackle vs old shackle.

Bolts, shackles, and spring eye bushings were replaced, as well as the TrailAir suspension. Springs, which were upgraded to 7k rating in 2011, still looked good (except for rust).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

The G614 I found was considered light truck instead of ST for a trailer.

Goodyear G614 is designed for trailer use, but is certified to the more demanding LT standards. Sailun S637 comes in an LT flavor and an ST flavor. The ST version appears to carry a higher load capacity, probably because of the different certification requirements, and is very likely the same tire design. Sailun s637 tires have been used on RVs for a number of years and thus far, I don't think a single S637 failure has been reported.

A lot of people have good things to say about Les Schwab tire dealerships. Online dealers like TrailerTiresandWheels.com are also well regarded. I bought my GY G114 tires from them, mounted on 17.5" wheels.

Gaffer

You should upgrade those Marathons. They are junk (IMHO). Take a look at Maxxis. Many of us have run them and I have never heard anything bad about them. They are known for ATV racing tires. And make quality trailer tires. Order them at your local Discount Tire Store.

RamblinFever

Good luck on your trip and as said before repack bearings, check shackles for wear, check brake pads, and ALWAYS remember that a dealership is there to make money AND they don't do more than they have to as far as maintenance when selling a used unit. Once out the door it's not their problem it's yours.

The dealer guaranteed that the trailer would be fully inspected and make any repairs as necessary plus complete cleaning. Part of that was automatically repacking wheel bearings. I had to take the trailer into Sacramento to another repair facility for them to check out the brake system. They found grease in the brakes and also DRY bearings. The brakes were cleaned up, wiring to them replaced, and the bearings were repacked. All charges were billed to the selling dealer. After a short weekend trip for the first time, I have another glitch that has been posted elsewhere. The dealer has taken care of everything so far but has not responded to the latest problem since it was reported to them yesterday afternoon. I have two friends in the area looking for trailers. My dilemma is recommendation. I feel in between since I am not disgusted with them, but rather disappointed that their guarantees / promises were not kept. My choice is not to mention them. As somone mentioned in this thread, I will replace the tires before the next trip and purchase the Sailun s637 tires.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
The dealer guaranteed that the trailer would be fully inspected and make any repairs as necessary plus complete cleaning . . . After a short weekend trip for the first time, I have another glitch that has been posted elsewhere.

The dealer has taken care of everything so far but has not responded to the latest problem since it was reported to them yesterday afternoon. I have two friends in the area looking for trailers. My dilemma is recommendation. I feel in between since I am not disgusted with them, but rather disappointed that their guarantees / promises were not kept. My choice is not to mention them.

Welcome to the wonderful world of being promised the world by an RV dealership and then getting not much of anything from them once you've pulled off of their lot.

I often wonder how so many RV dealerships can remain in business when they treat their customers they way they do.

Anyway . . . congrats on the new RV . . . you are going to love it!

Think about joining the Heartland Owner's Club and maybe checking out a rally or two on your journey.