Anyone else with a prodigy 3 brake controller? Plus a few other brake controller questions

Mattman

So I just put my p3 brake controller on. Few questions I could not find answers to on there website.
1. If I leave it plugged in will the unit time out after a set time so the lite goes off?
2. How many people disconnect there brake controller when not in use? Does leaving it plugged in wear down the unit?
Mine is in the manufacturer/ P3 quick plug.

3. Is putting a disconnect switch ahead of it a good idea?

Your thoughts or experiences?

Last edited by a moderator:

jnbhobe

I don't know anyone who disconnects theirs, My advice is to hook it up get it adjusted right and forget it.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
In our previous truck, the light on the front would go off eventually once the key is out of the ignition. I watched it because I wasn't sure it did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kbvols

I am pretty sure they are designed to be plugged in all the time. I have never disconnected mine between uses. The P3 is a great controller. My truck now has an integrated controller and I would much rather have the P3.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I'll add one more, I had a Prodigy in my last truck. It was plugged in for seven years and now its in my SIL's truck.

Peace
Dave

Mattman

Wow. The P3 controller is awosme. I had my brakes checked by the dealer cause I didn't think they where doing a good job. I am out this weekend and man. What a difference. I find my self turning it down. To much stopping power. But not complaining. I was dialing it down more along the way.
Not sure why my Hayes energizer 3 was not doing as good of a job. It was only couple years old.
All well. A safe travel is important. I feel better about mine. ;)