Dually Valve Extensions?

jddelano

Recently purchased a RAM 3500 dually and I'm in the process of preparing it for towing.

The truck didn't come with valve stem extensions; so I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations as to what brand, type and shape extensions I should get (e.g., brand, type: stainless steel, rubber, or braided; shape: straight, 45 or 180 degree, etc).

The rims aren't fancy, just stock steel with chrome hub caps.

Thanks.
Dave
Chesapeake, VA

Last edited by a moderator:

Mburtsvt

I was looking for extensions as well at one point. I came across this instead.

They balance the air pressure on both wheels and makes it easy to add air if needed. They are air pressure specific. I use the 65psi version. I get a lot of questions from people who see them. A bit pricey, (you would need two), but cheeper than putting 4 transmitters for a TPMS.

[h=1]Crossfire Dual Tire Pressure Equalization System, 65 PSI, one per pkg. (CF65STABT)[/h]

https://smile.amazon.com/Crossfire-...-9&keywords=crossfire+air+equalization+system

Bones

Recently purchased a RAM 3500 dually and I'm in the process of preparing it for towing.

The truck didn't come with valve stem extensions; so I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations as to what brand, type and shape extensions I should get (e.g., brand, type: stainless steel, rubber, or braided; shape: straight, 45 or 180 degree, etc).

The rims aren't fancy, just stock steel with chrome hub caps.

Thanks.
Dave
Chesapeake, VA

You don't need valve stem extensions. Just get a straight and angled chuck to fill those inner tires.

jddelano

I was looking for extensions as well at one point. I came across this instead.

They balance the air pressure on both wheels and makes it easy to add air if needed. They are air pressure specific. I use the 65psi version. I get a lot of questions from people who see them. A bit pricey, (you would need two), but cheeper than putting 4 transmitters for a TPMS.

Crossfire Dual Tire Pressure Equalization System, 65 PSI, one per pkg. (CF65STABT)

https://smile.amazon.com/Crossfire-...-9&keywords=crossfire+air+equalization+system

Thanks Mburtsvt, The justification the seller seems valid, but I would be leary about using anything that is pressurized across both tires--seems like that would be a recipe for disaster while towing if that failed.

- - - Updated - - -

You don't need valve stem extensions. Just get a straight and angled chuck to fill those inner tires.

Thanks Bones: i have both but can seem to reach the inner stems--don't know why, perhaps the tires are not aligned to permit it? Was hoping the extensions would make it easier.

Mburtsvt

Thanks Mburtsvt, The justification the seller seems valid, but I would be leary about using anything that is pressurized across both tires--seems like that would be a recipe for disaster while towing if that failed.

Thanks Bones: i have both but can seem to reach the inner stems--don't know why, perhaps the tires are not aligned to permit it? Was hoping the extensions would make it easier.

Nope- the system closes off the failing tire so you still have air pressure in the good tire. See video in the product link. This is one of the main features of the system.

http://dualdynamics.com/products/cross-fire/

jddelano

I have a gauge similar to the ones you illustrated but mine has a dial gauge and will read 110 PSI (anticipating I'll have GY H tires) but that doesn't impact my inability to reach the inner valve stem. Currently, the only way I can get to the inner one is to take the outer tire off. Had the truck inspected at my Tread Quarters last month and asked them to adjust the tire pressure to OEM spec. Got the truck back and they only adjusted the fronts. Picked up the truck and went home. Checked the tire pressures only to find they adjusted only the fronts. Didn't mind paying extra as we were heading out of state--won't be going to them anytime soon for tires!

- - - Updated - - -

Nope- the system closes off the failing tire so you still have air pressure in the good tire. See video in the product link. This is one of the main features of the system.

http://dualdynamics.com/products/cross-fire/

So, if road debris rips off the hose assembly on the outside of the tire there's no risk of the tire(s) deflating?

Mburtsvt

OK I found it but not available for Prime. 80 PSI.

They still ship "Free"

- - - Updated - - -

I have a gauge similar to the ones you illustrated but mine has a dial gauge and will read 110 PSI (anticipating I'll have GY H tires) but that doesn't impact my inability to reach the inner valve stem. Currently, the only way I can get to the inner one is to take the outer tire off. Had the truck inspected at my Tread Quarters last month and asked them to adjust the tire pressure to OEM spec. Got the truck back and they only adjusted the fronts. Picked up the truck and went home. Checked the tire pressures only to find they adjusted only the fronts. Didn't mind paying extra as we were heading out of state--won't be going to them anytime soon for tires!

- - - Updated - - -

So, if road debris rips off the hose assembly on the outside of the tire there's no risk of the tire(s) deflating?

Correct.... The ones I have are braided stainless steel. Most of the lines are inside the wheel.

B

Boatman

I too looked for extensions for our dually. Had bad experiences with extensions. Had one extension failure that resulted in a total loss of one tire. Finally located some steel 3 inch chrome stems that bolted inside the rim. Problem solved. However, like many, I need a straight and angled air gauge to check my tires. But now no problem checking the inside dual.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I replaced the rubber stems with bolt-in steel ones. And added steel flow-through valve caps. With a "trucker's" gage and mounting the duallies so the stems align, it's easy to check the inner tires.