Preparing to buy our first RV-a Big Horn!

Emees

My husband and I will be moving around the country for the next two years for his job. Therefore, instead of renting in all of the locations (we have two dogs and a cat, making that challenging), we decided to full time in an RV. We are both excited and nervous for the adventure, as we knew nothing about RV's before we starting doing our research several months ago. We are literally days away from ordering our 3970RD that we will pick up in January. We are struggling to decide which options we really need and those we can live without. We will be living anywhere from Colorado in the winter to Texas in the summer. We plan to get vinyl floors in the living room (dogs), residential fridge, yeti package, Mor/Ryd hitch, fireplace, and a few others.

Any tips for a couple of newbies about the ordering/buying processing (i.e. Negotiating price), full timing in a Big Horn, and necessary features for our adventure? Thanks in advance!

jimtoo

HI Emees,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and soon to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'm sure some of our full timers will jump in soon with some recommendations for you.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit when you get it.

Jim M

brianlajoie

We were newbies when we bought our trailer. We bought our trailer over the net. Look at rvtrader or rvt. I saw over 50 3970RD trailers listed. You may find one already configured to meet your needs. Buying from existing inventory may be to your advantage. Using the net will give you an idea what dealers are asking for the trailer. We saw your model at a rally and liked it. Since you mentioned that you will move around, look for certified RVIA/RVDA techs for any issues that may arise. We use them and have never taken the trailer to a dealer for service. Good luck getting your trailer.

Gaffer

You need the dual pane windows, front AC, power cord reel and fireplace. Download the Bighorn MSRP from this site and study the options and prices. If you have no trade you should have no trouble getting 30% off the MSRP from the dealer. If not find another dealer.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
With the temperture swings you are talking about I agree with your decision to get the Yeti package, but don't forget to add dual pane windows. Excellent noise blockers and definetly help hold heat in during the winter ant out during the summer. Fireplace is a nice feature that really won't heat the camper but it sure takes the chill off the room on a cool, chilling morning.

Enjoy and don't forget to join the Heartland Owners Club "Family" once you order your rig and get the vin number. You won't regret it.

Emees

Thank you all so much for your insights, I can't tell you how much I appreciate it! In regards to the dual pane windows, the dealer advised this was an unnecessary expense which added an exorbitant amount of weight (around 1000 lbs). From my research online, it seems pretty unanimous that people find them worth the money; are they worth the extra weight?

Additionally, we have been researching the upgraded tires (GY G rated) and the upgraded brakes. Seems the tires are something that can be done after market for much less money...yes? With the brakes, it seems everyone recommends the disc brakes which I don't see as an option on the BH order sheet. Is this something that can be easily done after market or can we ask Heartland to do this at the factory? I've read some things that elude to the Mor/Ryde Suspension having disc brakes, but then Mor/Ryde itself makes it sound like the disc brakes are an additional add on. Does anyone know?

We just want to make sure our rig is as optimally equipped for safety as possible since this is our first time owning/towing anything of this size. Thank you again for your help, it is so appreciated!

BusManRG

We were given the same advice on the windows. Also that the dual panes can experience leaks. There ia new thread titled "window tint". Take a look at that. Also the mod thread that one poster refers to. Just another route to consider.

Sandy

danemayer

Thank you all so much for your insights, I can't tell you how much I appreciate it! In regards to the dual pane windows, the dealer advised this was an unnecessary expense which added an exorbitant amount of weight (around 1000 lbs). From my research online, it seems pretty unanimous that people find them worth the money; are they worth the extra weight?

Additionally, we have been researching the upgraded tires (GY G rated) and the upgraded brakes. Seems the tires are something that can be done after market for much less money...yes? With the brakes, it seems everyone recommends the disc brakes which I don't see as an option on the BH order sheet. Is this something that can be easily done after market or can we ask Heartland to do this at the factory? I've read some things that elude to the Mor/Ryde Suspension having disc brakes, but then Mor/Ryde itself makes it sound like the disc brakes are an additional add on. Does anyone know?

We just want to make sure our rig is as optimally equipped for safety as possible since this is our first time owning/towing anything of this size. Thank you again for your help, it is so appreciated!
Hi Emees,

MorRyde prices the Independent Suspension and Disc Brakes separately, and also as a package. You may be able to take advantage of the deal that was offered at the Las Vegas Rally. Here's a link.

Last I heard Bighorns were shipping with Sailun LR G tires. I think most people here would say you don't need to upgrade to Goodyear LR G tires to replace Sailuns.

As for Dual Pane windows, people who don't have them don't think they're worthwhile. People who do have them think they are worthwhile. I'm not aware of any problems with water leaks, but there have been a very few reports of fogging on older windows. I've had fogging on my residential windows, but after 6 years, no fogging on the RV windows.

Gaffer

The dealer who told you that dual pane windows add 1,000 lbs of weight was probably trying to sell you a coach off his lot that didn't have them.

Piperflyer

We will be finishing up a 13,000 mile 6 month trip next week with our BH. We have the yeti package, double pane windows, power reel, fire place, upgraded 8000 lb. axles and salium tires.
There were cold mornings where I'm sure the yeti package came in handy. The double pane windows do help keep the noise down and the fire place is really nice for taking the chill out off the rv in the mornings; while in the mountains. We didn't have any problems with the salium tires and they seemed to wear well. I have TST tire pressure/temp monitors on each tire and they held there pressure well and never got close to an unsafe temp range, even while running in the desert. They only problem I did have was a leak in the water line going to the frig, and I was able to just shut it off.
Not sure how you are going to use your rv, but if I could, I would of liked another air conditioner in the living area, if it is an option think about it, cause the rv is tough to cool down in the warmer climates.

Nuclearcowboy

Hi Emees,

MorRyde prices the Independent Suspension and Disc Brakes separately, and also as a package. You may be able to take advantage of the deal that was offered at the Las Vegas Rally. Here's a link.

Last I heard Bighorns were shipping with Sailun LR G tires. I think most people here would say you don't need to upgrade to Goodyear LR G tires to replace Sailuns.

As for Dual Pane windows, people who don't have them don't think they're worthwhile. People who do have them think they are worthwhile. I'm not aware of any problems with water leaks, but there have been a very few reports of fogging on older windows. I've had fogging on my residential windows, but after 6 years, no fogging on the RV windows.
We just picked up our BH 3970RD on Saturday and it came standard with Sailun 'H' rated tires. Our dealer talked us out of the dual pane windows because the cost and weight did not justify their expense unless we were staying parked in Montana all winter. We did get the Yeti package, however.

Gaffer

The dual pane windows are not just for cold weather. They help in hot weather and make the coach quieter. They don't sweat like single pane windows when you have a pot on the stove.

LBR

We just picked up our BH 3970RD on Saturday and it came standard with Sailun 'H' rated tires. Our dealer talked us out of the dual pane windows because the cost and weight did not justify their expense unless we were staying parked in Montana all winter. We did get the Yeti package, however.
Our salesperson tried to talk us out of dual pane windows also, but we knew better after researching this site....I wouldn't have single pane again.

SNOKING

We will be finishing up a 13,000 mile 6 month trip next week with our BH. We have the yeti package, double pane windows, power reel, fire place, upgraded 8000 lb. axles and salium tires.
There were cold mornings where I'm sure the yeti package came in handy. The double pane windows do help keep the noise down and the fire place is really nice for taking the chill out off the rv in the mornings; while in the mountains. We didn't have any problems with the salium tires and they seemed to wear well. I have TST tire pressure/temp monitors on each tire and they held there pressure well and never got close to an unsafe temp range, even while running in the desert. They only problem I did have was a leak in the water line going to the frig, and I was able to just shut it off.
Not sure how you are going to use your rv, but if I could, I would of liked another air conditioner in the living area, if it is an option think about it, cause the rv is tough to cool down in the warmer climates.

So when you get the 8K axles and 17.5 RIMs and tires do you increase the GVWR above the 16K that is listed on the web site? Chris

SNOKING

No the GVWR on the unit stays the same

So carrying capacity on paper is still an issue with the larger BHs. Our 3575el has 3K and the larger ones around 2K. We were loaded close to 3K of stuff coming down from Washington. Full water and no washer/dry. Chris

Emees

Thank you all so very much for your help, again I can' tell you how much we appreciate it. We decided to add the dual pane windows to our option sheet. The original price we got from the dealer we were working with was only about 22% off MSRP. After looking around online, it seems we should be able to do better than that. We have flexibility with where in the country we order from, as we are driving across the country to pick up our new truck any way, what's another stop to pick up our RV? We have emailed a few dealers in the midwest, a little closer to the BH plant, as their prices seemed to be more reasonable than what we were originally quoted. Hoping someone comes in with a better price so we can get this bad boy built ASAP!

Garypowell

We have never bought any of our 5th wheels in 20 years close to our house. Some times we just drove away and sometimes we stayed in the area for a while....never had a significant issue either way.

I think it is wiser to buy something off the lot if you can find what you want. This way you can see exactly what you are getting before you buy it.....and get fixed whatever needs to be fixed before you sign any paperwork.