USB 120V plug upgrade

alexb2000

In our Torque we each have a bedroom 120V plug on by our little (very little) nightstands. I wanted to upgrade the 120V plugs with USB ports so that I didn't need to use those huge power converters to charge our iPads and phones.

Doing a little research on Amazon and I bought two of these since they seem better rated than the other choices:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0128SSKSA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I picked up a couple of Carlton low voltage old work boxes and we're all set. Before you code enforcement people comment, I know the box is not rated for 120V, but the depth of wall will not allow a normal single gang box. The outlets I installed are well protected in these boxes and I taped any open terminals for another degree of safety. If this bothers you worse than what the factory did (no box at all), then by all means don't do the project.

The cover plate on the existing plug just snap out with a flat edge screwdriver.

Then I discovered a complete hack job done by the factory to install the outlets (no boxes BTW). The new low voltage boxes will not fit into the "cutout" as they left it. Rant: These people install electrical box after electrical box everyday and they can't make the cutouts any better than this!

I used a Fein multi-tool because it can cut the panelling straight in, but you could have used a small handsaw, etc. IMPORTANT: DO NOT NICK THE WIRES! Hold them out of the way or you will make yourself a real problem.

Take your time fitting the new low voltage boxes so that the ears make good solid contact.

I then stripped back the romex sheathing because the wires are very tight in the cavity and I needed to route them along the side of the outlet.

I don't use push in electrical connections ever. These outlets look like a push in but they are not, they have a large screw on the side to clamp down on the bare wire. The connections are very secure on these outlets.

As I mentioned I wrap a couple of round of electrical tape around the terminals for a little extra safety.

When you put the new outlet back in the box the wires will be pushing against you. Do NOT use the screws to suck them in, use your hand and work the outlet in flush and then screw them down. If you try to use the screws the plastic will strip out.

Once everything is nice and tight against the paneling, then the outlets I linked come with a new snap on cover plate.

Turn on the power, plug in a USB charging cable, and you are good to go.

Hope this helps some of you with a lot of mobile technology.

Attachments

• IMG_2158.jpg
    IMG_2158.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_2159.jpg
    IMG_2159.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_2160.jpg
    IMG_2160.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_2154.jpg
    IMG_2154.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_2155.jpg
    IMG_2155.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_2156.jpg
    IMG_2156.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_2157.jpg
    IMG_2157.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 105

oldelmer1

In our Torque we each have a bedroom 120V plug on by our little (very little) nightstands. I wanted to upgrade the 120V plugs with USB ports so that I didn't need to use those huge power converters to charge our iPads and phones.

Doing a little research on Amazon and I bought two of these since they seem better rated than the other choices:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0128SSKSA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I picked up a couple of Carlton low voltage old work boxes and we're all set. Before you code enforcement people comment, I know the box is not rated for 120V, but the depth of wall will not allow a normal single gang box. The outlets I installed are well protected in these boxes and I taped any open terminals for another degree of safety. If this bothers you worse than what the factory did (no box at all), then by all means don't do the project.

The cover plate on the existing plug just snap out with a flat edge screwdriver.

Then I discovered a complete hack job done by the factory to install the outlets (no boxes BTW). The new low voltage boxes will not fit into the "cutout" as they left it. Rant: These people install electrical box after electrical box everyday and they can't make the cutouts any better than this!

I used a Fein multi-tool because it can cut the panelling straight in, but you could have used a small handsaw, etc. IMPORTANT: DO NOT NICK THE WIRES! Hold them out of the way or you will make yourself a real problem.

Take your time fitting the new low voltage boxes so that the ears make good solid contact.

I then stripped back the romex sheathing because the wires are very tight in the cavity and I needed to route them along the side of the outlet.

I don't use push in electrical connections ever. These outlets look like a push in but they are not, they have a large screw on the side to clamp down on the bare wire. The connections are very secure on these outlets.

As I mentioned I wrap a couple of round of electrical tape around the terminals for a little extra safety.

When you put the new outlet back in the box the wires will be pushing against you. Do NOT use the screws to suck them in, use your hand and work the outlet in flush and then screw them down. If you try to use the screws the plastic will strip out.

Once everything is nice and tight against the paneling, then the outlets I linked come with a new snap on cover plate.

Turn on the power, plug in a USB charging cable, and you are good to go.

Hope this helps some of you with a lot of mobile technology.

I've installed a couple of these in the house and in the camper, work very well. but I didnt see the ones WITH the outlet cover, had to but them seperate.

GREAT JOB!!

alexb2000

I've installed a couple of these in the house and in the camper, work very well. but I didnt see the ones WITH the outlet cover, had to but them seperate.

GREAT JOB!!

Thanks. These actually came with two covers, a snap in, and a normal screw down. I used the snap in this time because it matches the factory look perfectly, but they have you covered for residential use also.

My wife already wants these in the house so I can see needing to order some more of these.

avvidclif

Not the same brand but we were looking at those at Lowes earlier, abt $29 ea but I will have to measure the depth of the holes, not very deep. I can see a couple in the bedroom.

alexb2000

Not the same brand but we were looking at those at Lowes earlier, abt $29 ea but I will have to measure the depth of the holes, not very deep. I can see a couple in the bedroom.

Depth really is the challenge, if you look at the low voltage box in my picture the outlet was exactly that deep and in my case left about a 1/4" to the outside wall.

Also, you might check the Amazon reviews for whatever brand you are considering a lot of these outlets are not very well made (big surprise).