Florida RV and TV registration.

sjandbj

My wife and I are planning to relocate to Clearwater FL. We are trying to get an idea what registration for a 2017 Ford f350 and a 2015 Big country. If any Floridians could help us with some info it would be very helpful.
Thanks.
Steve

BighornELK

I don't remember what our RV cost, but our TV was $140.00 for a year. Florida vehicle registration fees are based on vehicle weight, and will expire on your birth date. However, your TV will expire on December 31st.

Hulk

My truck is 120 2017 ram 3500 and my trailer is like 60 2016 oakmont 375qb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Wow . . . you guys have got it made!

For my 2015 Chevy 2500HD this year . . . $645.00 . . . for our 2015 Heartland Prowler . . . $550.00.

This was the third year for plates on the truck . . . second year on the Prowler.

Of course, they probably get those dollars out of you in other ways, like higher gas taxes and all of those toll roads.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Ouch - here in TN we have a semi tag on the Landmark which is a one time plate and the fee was $98. The truck is $24 per year. We have decided not to transfer our vehicles and camper to our FL address because it's so much cheaper in TN.

danemayer

Colorado has very high annual tag/registration fees for vehicles, but also has very low property tax. And of course there's a state income tax.

Our tax burden is about the same as it was in Austin, TX where tag/registration fees were low, property taxes were high, and there was no state income tax.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Our property taxes were more than double in Michigan from what they are in Colorado, however, a lot of stuff that was 'free' in Michigan cost lots of money here.

Like drivers education, for example.

It was just a part of 10th. grade in Michigan . . . here it cost around $1000 out of pocket per student!

Lynn1130

Yes, registration fees for vehicles is not a true test of cost. Some states, such as Arizona do not charge personal property tax on those items and the registration fee is higher than other states that do have personal property taxes.

When they really get you good is when both are high.

carl.swoyer

I believe that you have to pay sales tax base on the county your residing in. Also $100.00 title fee.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Here is the most up to date info since we just checked pricing on registration and INSURANCE for our vehicles.
The annual REGISTRATION fee's are cheaper than NY by about 50%, there is a one time fee of approximately $500 to switch registration to Florida and you also need to hand over your titles to the Florida DMV for they hold you titles. An inspection of all vehicles is need to confirm VIN numbers and vehicle descriptions supplied a time of registration. Yes, my 2013 40ft. Landmark would only cost me about $50 per year as compared to $262/yr but the insurance in Florida is extremely costly. When all was said and done I was not saving enough money to change at this time. Do your homework, call your insurance company in Florida, for it needs to be a Florida based agent and get your cost. We were disappointed to hear these fee's.

Murry135:(

Lynn1130

you also need to hand over your titles to the Florida DMV for they hold you titles.

WHAT? Why in the world would they do that? On top of questionable legal issues think about the cost involved in handling and storing all of those documents. Even if they really needed to do that, and I have trouble seeing why, it could be done by copying, digitizing and storing. Still a huge, time consuming expense. And my guess is that when you go to sell the vehicle, they will have lost the title.

MTPockets

We're registered in FL. They require 5 forms of identification to start, but going forward everything else is very smooth. Our truck was financed and all they wanted from me was the finance company info. You can also pay for two years, which we liked.

Lynn1130

Where are you registered to vote? Some states, like Arizona consider the person a resident if they are registered to vote in that state (military exempt) and require them to register their vehicles in that state also. We have a good number of "residents by law" that register their vehicles in other states that have lower fees. Getting caught can be very expensive.

danemayer

you also need to hand over your titles to the Florida DMV for they hold you titles.

I've moved from state to state a few times and best I can recall, in each case the old title had to be surrendered in order to register and get a title from the new state. I don't think a state will issue registration without also titling the vehicle.

I think I remember Texas saying something about storing the old title; probably so that possible future claims of theft or fraud could be researched. Colorado just took the old titles and issued new ones.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
WHAT? Why in the world would they do that? On top of questionable legal issues think about the cost involved in handling and storing all of those documents. Even if they really needed to do that, and I have trouble seeing why, it could be done by copying, digitizing and storing. Still a huge, time consuming expense. And my guess is that when you go to sell the vehicle, they will have lost the title.
And your point is?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Lynn1130

And your point is?

That I thought that was a pretty big waste of taxpayer money. I think the point was pretty obvious, mass inefficiency and who wants some state agency to have control of the title? How many jokes have you heard about MVD and how well they operate.

In most states you or the loan company/bank/credit union keep the title. In Arizona the buyer gets the title and when the loan is paid off the loan agency sends a document saying the title is clear. If you buy a new vehicle the title is sent to you in about 30 days. If you bring a vehicle in to register the old title is taken, a new one is mailed in a month or so.

Another thought. So you move to Montana and want to sell your vehicle when you get there. How long will it take to get the title from Florida so you can sell it?

Mrsfish

That I thought that was a pretty big waste of taxpayer money. I think the point was pretty obvious, mass inefficiency and who wants some state agency to have control of the title? How many jokes have you heard about MVD and how well they operate.

In most states you or the loan company/bank/credit union keep the title. In Arizona the buyer gets the title and when the loan is paid off the loan agency sends a document saying the title is clear. If you buy a new vehicle the title is sent to you in about 30 days. If you bring a vehicle in to register the old title is taken, a new one is mailed in a month or so.

Another thought. So you move to Montana and want to sell your vehicle when you get there. How long will it take to get the title from Florida so you can sell it?

Sorry Lynn, but my last 4 vehicle purchases, the title was held by the lien holder. I did not receive the title until it had been paid off.