DICOR rubber roof blistering

I have extensive blistering on a 2 year old Elkridge DICOR roof. Blisters are mostly about 3/8", with largest about the size of a quarter. The blister is in the membrane itself, and not under it because if you scrape it, you see white rubber underneath. My roof is tan and RV has been left in central Florida the past two summers. It was very hot and humid this past summer and I wonder if this is related.

DICOR has the pics but say they have not seen this before and are slow to respond. My local mobile RV guy suggests the rubber is delaminating.

The roof has not been abused and I know how to care for it.
Does anyone have similar issues?

cqznvwNl.jpg

DICOR now acknowledges that there is a problem with the top layer, but say it does not lmpact wear. They say it is cosmetic. My roof is tan and don't know if issue relates to colored roofs.

Their offer is to provide a full 12 year transferrable warranty but I don't think this will convince a potential buyer. I am going to lose several thousand in resale value. I would not buy a unit with a roof that looked like this.

While this is a DICOR issue, I am hoping Heartland will go to bat for it's owners and get a proper solution.
If other people have this issue, let's hear about it and let both Dicor and Heartland we need a fix.

When blisters are abraded even by a lightweight like me, the membrane skin is broken. This looks terrible and will definitely impact resale or trade value. I probably have about 20 spots as sown in this pic from one visit to the roof when i cleaned off my slides. I am afraid to wash the roof.

UPDATE: JAN 17, 2017 DICOR is now working with me to replace roof.

nedB1zvl.jpg

Last edited:

Bones

I think usually the top layer on anything is what provides the most protection and UV resistance.

danemayer

I don't think we've ever seen a problem quite like this. Did Dicor have an opinion as to cause? Manufacturing issue? Environmental?

Did they offer to replace the roofing material under warranty?

I don't think we've ever seen a problem quite like this. Did Dicor have an opinion as to cause? Manufacturing issue? Environmental?

Did they offer to replace the roofing material under warranty?

DICOR now acknowledges that there is a technical (manufacturing?) problem with the top layer, but say it does not lmpact wear. They say it is cosmetic. My roof is tan and don't know if issue relates to colored roofs.

No replacement. Their offer is to provide a full 12 year transferrable warranty but I don't think this will convince a potential buyer. I am going to lose several thousand in resale value. I would not buy a unit with a roof that looked like this.

danemayer

The DicorProducts.com website says the EPDM roof membrane is actually made by Carlisle Syntec and may be warranted by Carlisle Syntec. Perhaps Carlisle Syntec might be more accommodating. It's probably worth a call. Here's a link to the website.

There are a couple of challenges to getting help. The Dicor warranty repeatedly uses the phrase "to the point of failure", which suggests that they don't have to provide anything if the roof hasn't failed. Is cosmetic damage equal to failure? I'd guess by saying cosmetic, they are making the point that they don't consider the roof to have failed in its primary purpose.

The next level of challenge is that even if they agree that the roof should be considered to have failed, the warranty remedy is to provide you with new roofing material. The cost of the material is a very small fraction of the overall cost of replacement. Getting them to pay thousands of dollars in labor charges is a whole different matter which probably requires them to grant you an accommodation, as opposed to warranty coverage.

Something else to consider is that when the roof material is replaced, it's a very invasive repair action. air conditioners, vents, skylights, ladder all have to be removed. The membrane is cut at the front and rear caps, creating new seams that require careful maintenance. The thin luan layer under the membrane is likely to be damaged by pulling up the membrane, requiring sanding and new luan. At the end of the process, you'll have a more attractive roof, but it won't be equivalent to new.

As a trade or resale, having a roof replacement is probably a step up from where you are, but it probably will still cause the value of the trailer to be discounted. Sometimes people don't disclose things like this, but if there's ever a problem, it will become obvious that the repair was not disclosed.

If it were me, based on your description and pictures, I'd go for the new roof if Dicor or Carlisle would agree to pay. So the trick is to get Dicor or Carlisle to step up and make you as whole as possible. If it's actually a manufacturing defect, and Carlisle made the membrane, perhaps they would be most likely to help.

wrgrs50s

From the old saying " The squeaky wheel always gets the grease ". I believe I would be squeaking loudly if my roof looked like that.

I think the warranty has verbage such as " warranted against manufacturers defects " If this is not a manufacturers defect then I don't know what is.

For them to claim it's only cosmetic is absurd. That looks horrible !!

Bones

I would consider cosmetic a defect. If the paint on you camper started to bubble up and peel off it is cosmetic because it doesn't actually affect the performance of the wall or metal body but is still considered a defect. A price was paid for a product to perform and look well. If it doesn't do one of those then it has failed. They couldn't sell that product looking like that to a manufacture and say it's only cosmetic. I'm just babbling don't mind me.

phelpo

We own a 2014 BC 3596RE. I was on the roof cleaning it and saw
the roof cracking and in spots looked like it smeared. Rubbing those
areas caused it to loosen. In addition I have several bubbles the size
of quarters. I do live in the Keys and the roof sees sun 365. Therefore
I have treated the roof at least twice a year with a sealant.

Anyone else having these problems and a cure? This rig does not
move so that too is a issue.

Thanks
Phelpo

danemayer

We own a 2014 BC 3596RE. I was on the roof cleaning it and saw
the roof cracking and in spots looked like it smeared. Rubbing those
areas caused it to loosen. In addition I have several bubbles the size
of quarters. I do live in the Keys and the roof sees sun 365. Therefore
I have treated the roof at least twice a year with a sealant.

Anyone else having these problems and a cure? This rig does not
move so that too is a issue.

Thanks
Phelpo
What do you mean by "cracking" and what sealant are you using?

Apropdoc

Utah Chapter Leaders-retired
Looking at the photos provided, it looks very much like a chemical reversion in the materials is happening. Carlisle's website does not mention this at all, sooo, I would get on the phone with their tech support and ask what they are doing to to combat reversion in their EPDM roofing products. This is something that is happening at the molecular level and is usually accelerated by long term exposure to heat and UV. When we have this problem in my line of work, the coating is replaced in its entirety, not cheap but necessary. Reversion is something that usually cannot be prevented.

phelpo

Kathy at Dicor says the treatment product I used on it
was the cause. I used Protect All which has been around for a long
time. She agreed but said this product caused the smearing
of the top layer of the roof. Well why isn't that stated on
your web site? No answer

ok what treatment should I use to repair it? Her answer nothing?

ok then when it leaks and damages my substructure you!ll pay
for the damages? No answer

this is a warning fellow RVers watch out. I haven't got ahold of
Protect All yet

phelpo

phelpo

Even with the top layer of the roof smearing and showing
some of the lower black material Kathy says that is ok.

Wow, she offered nothing to top dress the roof and seal
the cracks and smeared areas,

Anyone else have issues with this company?

Phelpo