Garmin RV760 and alternatives

dlw930

I've used the 760 for a year. There are times when it's extremely valuable to have and other when it drives me nuts. For example, the other day it inexplicably directed me a mile past the correct interstate exit, had me exit, make a U-turn on the frontage road and come back to the correct street. I try to not rely on the 760 implicitly, but use other sources such as Google Maps, to verify. The 760 has many useful features that others have mentioned, so I usually forgive it for its shortcomings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

I've used the 760 for a year. There are times when it's extremely valuable to have and other when it drives me nuts. For example, the other day it inexplicably directed me a mile past the correct interstate exit, had me exit, make a U-turn on the frontage road and come back to the correct street.

I had that same thing happen when headed to Buck Creek RV Park east of Abilene. The next time there I had updated the map data and it did something a bit different, but still not right. The third time, again after updating the map data, it took me straight to the campground. I think the map data had designated the bridge over I-20 as having a weight or other restriction that caused the GPS to route me around that bridge.

Well, thanks to our Rand McNally 5510 again leading us astray on our Christmas trip and some Christmas money, we have a Garmin RV 760LMT gps. We're already amazed, it understands voice commands, and the touch screen actually responds to your touch, and it can act as a hands free speaker for your cell phone!

I have the RV760 and love it. With your coach specs loaded, it will let you know of and low clearance and route you around it.
Great unit.

Oregon_Camper

.....................I think the map data had designated the bridge over I-20 as having a weight or other restriction that caused the GPS to route me around that bridge.

Wouldn't it be nice if the GPS gave you two options about 1 mile before your turn.

Then it provides you exact details WHY one varies from the other. Like..."Route 2 is 10 minutes faster, but the overpass on this route has weight limit of XYZ", which your current selected vehicle/RV will exceed.

Now that would be a GREAT reason to purchase.

...anyone at Garmin listening?? Hehehehehehe :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

stesmi52

I've had the Garmin 760 for a couple of years and like it better than the Rand McNally I had before. A couple of nits that I have discussed with Garmin tech support, though they aren't inclined to fix: in RV mode but not in auto mode: gives 5 mile heads up for state borders, announces speed limit changes, announces and shows school zones, and probably others. Seems to me that it would be natural to include the same features in both modes with zero cost difference. But what do I know, I'm just an engineer!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Oregon_Camper

... gives 5 mile heads up for state borders, announces speed limit changes, announces and shows school zones, and probably others. Seems to me that it would be natural to include the same features in both modes with zero cost difference.

That is crazy. Wonder what reason they would have to disable these for RV mode?

danemayer

My RV760 gives all those notices in RV mode. State borders, school zones, speed limit changes. Most Automobile mode driving is local with less miles, so I haven't noticed.

dlw930

My RV760 gives all those notices in RV mode. State borders, school zones, speed limit changes. Most Automobile mode driving is local with less miles, so I haven't noticed.

X2 on my 760 giving notices in RV mode as well as in Automobile mode.

FWIW, one day when I wasn't towing and not in routing mode, I put the 760 in RV mode as I approached an underpass I knew was lower clearance than the RV height I had stored in the 760. The 760 gave an advance notice of the low underpass by placing a symbol on the map at the underpass location. As I approached closer, the 760 showed another warning icon in the upper right screen corner. I was curious how the Garmin would handle low clearances if I wasn't using the routing mode, which wouldn't be the typical case.

olcoon

I have owned several Garmin units through the years, both for road, and trail navigation. Personally, unless Garmin does something drastic I'll never own another brand. Among Geocachers, Garmin is the go to GPS for their accuracy, and reliability. As far as road navigation, from persona experience, and talking to numerous other GPS users, I think Garmin is a winner there also.

In the last year I bought the 760, knowing that it was about to be discontinued with the 660 (LINK), and discontinued, basically because of the old eyes & bigger screen. The 660 is a little smaller, but it has more features. As several have noted you don't want to rely on any GPS 100%, but at least 90% of the time it'll get you where you want to go with no issues. I think all GPS makers use a 3rd party for their mapping software, and there are mistakes, but taking into consideration, the roads, intersections, etc in this country it's amazing how accurate they are. Plus you can download a FREE topo map, Garmin Basecamp, and with that you can make a custom route picking what road you want to go on, POI, towns, etc. that you want to travel. Bob Curry (TXBobcat) is the expert using Basecamp. He will make his route from point A-B for his next adventure, and saves it in basecamp to be used again.

stesmi52

X2 on my 760 giving notices in RV mode as well as in Automobile mode.

FWIW, one day when I wasn't towing and not in routing mode, I put the 760 in RV mode as I approached an underpass I knew was lower clearance than the RV height I had stored in the 760. The 760 gave an advance notice of the low underpass by placing a symbol on the map at the underpass location. As I approached closer, the 760 showed another warning icon in the upper right screen corner. I was curious how the Garmin would handle low clearances if I wasn't using the routing mode, which wouldn't be the typical case.

Maybe you didn't read my response correctly - my 760 makes the notifications only in RV mode, not in auto mode, whether routing to a destination or just using the map.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Does anyone know the difference in specs/features on the 760 compared to the 660. Besides a 6" screen to a 7" screen. Is there any added benefit by going to the 760. The 7" screen just seems like it would be too large and out of place in the dash. My 6" nüvi seems to be the right size on the dash. But, maybe I'd like the larger screen for the added details.

rdufek

Does anyone know the difference in specs/features on the 760 compared to the 660. Besides a 6" screen to a 7" screen. Is there any added benefit by going to the 760. The 7" screen just seems like it would be too large and out of place in the dash. My 6" nüvi seems to be the right size on the dash. But, maybe I'd like the larger screen for the added details.

This is from Garmins site

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/cat...p?compareProduct=135455&compareProduct=524447

Bob and Valerie Dufek

And our beloved Saint Penelope
2015 BH 3750FL
2014 Ram 3500 DRW
HOC # 2858

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
This is from Garmins site

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/cat...p?compareProduct=135455&compareProduct=524447

Bob and Valerie Dufek

And our beloved Saint Penelope
2015 BH 3750FL
2014 Ram 3500 DRW
HOC # 2858

Thanks Bob. Probably going to go with the 7" version. Surprisingly, I can find them for sale with only about $20-$30 difference in price.

You all ready for Goshen?? It's going to be a great time. Let me know if you need any more questions about registration.