Installed TorkLift's Glowstep Revolution Step System Today

danemayer

Replaced our Lippert Quad Alumi-Tread Steps with the Torklift Glowstep Revolution Step System today.

Advantages over the Alumi-Tread are 1) easier climb and 2) they sit on the ground and are rock solid.

The Alumi-Tread extended 34" and these extend 40". But in a tight space, like a roadside stop, the Glowstep Revolution can easily fit 34".

DW thinks she'll be able to jettison the extra step that she's needed to manage opening the door. With the OEM steps and the Alumi-Tread, once she got on the steps the door wouldn't open past her so she had to stand on a separate step next to the stairs. Now, because it's further away, she can get on the first step and open the door.

And the puppy was able to get up and down the steps without any issues. Since steps are pretty new to her, I'd say that makes these steps dog tested and dog approved (sorry Subaru).

Installation took about 2.5 hours. It would have gone faster but for 2 surprises. The spacing of the box where the steps mount is 27" on our coach. Most are 27.5". Lippert made the Alumi-Tread 27.5". So the installer deformed one side of the box to gain 1/4". He also compressed the steps to get the other 1/4". The steps were always stiff and now I know why. Anyway, what Lippert did made it more difficult to get the old steps out. And I had to straighten the side of the box. The other surprise was that the mounting bolts provided by Torklift were 1/4" too short for the 27" box width. The Glowstep Revolution comes in 2 models for different width boxes: 27.5" and 25.5". In the pre-order evaluation I found what Lippert had done, discussed with Torklift, and ordered the 25.5" plus spacers. I'm providing feedback to Torklift about the bolt length.

Guided by Torklift's installation instructions, I removed the steps from their frame to make it easier to install the frame. If I'd had help, I could have skipped that step. But in any case, it was very quick and easy. Installing the spacers took longer than it should have, mostly because of fooling around with the bolts. On coaches with a 27.5" box, no spacers are needed and the installation would be even easier.

Anyway, the extra effort caused by Lippert and the trip to the hardware store probably added close to an hour to the installation time. Install should have been closer to 1.5 hours. And I didn't cut my hands or scrape my knuckles during the installation. That's a first! ;)

Attachments

• Torklift-Glowstep-Revolution-installed.jpg
    Torklift-Glowstep-Revolution-installed.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 356

Dennyha

Thanks for the feedback. We're really interested in upgrading our steps to either the GlowStep Revolution, or the MorRyde.

I had to replace the Lippert steps on our coach last summer, and it was not easy getting in between the skirting and the frame for the steps. I was able to get it done, so I'm sure I could do this, but my success depended on double sided tape and numerous attempts to get the nuts back on. (It was one of my luckier days...)

mlpeloquin

Looks good. We have been enjoying ours. I even forgot how bouncy the old OEM steps were until I stepped into our friends Big Country with the OEM steps.

ATLJOHN

Jim do you think any of the vendors at rally will offer the deals for members that cannot attend the rally.
Thanks John

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jbeletti

Jim do you think any of the vendors at rally will offer the deals for members that cannot attend the rally.
Thanks John

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

John - yes, for the last several years, I've gotten most vendors to extend their specials to any club member, regardless of rally attendance. It's up the to vendor to do this.

One exception will always be the new coach rebate that I offer to club member rally attendees.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Mine arrived yesterday . . .

Snowing the next couple of days here in Colorado so probably won't get them installed for a couple of weeks.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
I'm thinking of inviting them. That would make 3 alternative step vendors and I'm not a big fan of splitting an offering like that, but they all have very different approaches.

They were a sponsor at the Oregon rally last year and have advertised that they want to be a part of more rallies. The prizes they donated were so good, we ended up getting one of them for ourselves. Also, they do a lot more than just steps.

Kristy

Mrsfish

If anyone who has installed the glowstep steps on their 3010re Bighorn - would you mind telling me what the parts numbers used were? My rig is in storage and we want to order the steps before we pull the rig out. Please and thank you.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
If anyone who has installed the glowstep steps on their 3010re Bighorn - would you mind telling me what the parts numbers used were? My rig is in storage and we want to order the steps before we pull the rig out. Please and thank you.

I'll let you try ours out down in Alto . . . :cool:

ProwlerGlowStep7-P3160624.jpg

Power247

I am close to pulling the trigger on these for our TT to make is easier for my parents/in laws when the come visit. Is the 4 step model the typical replacement for the factory 3 step?

Greg
2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Mrsfish

I'll let you try ours out down in Alto . . . :cool:

View attachment 51254

i want my own John- hence the groveling for some help. If I don't get them in time for next week, I'll take you up on the offer and come run up and down a few hundred times!!

- - - Updated - - -

I am close to pulling the trigger on these for our TT to make is easier for my parents/in laws when the come visit. Is the 4 step model the typical replacement for the factory 3 step?

Greg
2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

I was stopped at their customer service desk until I had the measurements of my rig's opening. Go to their web site, scroll down after you get to the glowstep revolution section and the instructions are there for how and what to measure. Call them and they'll help you after that is done.

MCTalley

You will want the 4-step model (probably - unless the 3010's frame is shorter than the larger Bighorns. Might want to measure vertical distance to be sure). The only choice you'll have to make is 25 1/2" wide (with spacers) or 27 1/2" wide (without spacers). The choice will be highly dependent on the space between the two step brackets on your rig (which you'll have to physically measure before ordering). General rule of thumb is if you have at least 27 3/16" between the brackets with the current steps mounted, you can get the 27 1/2" wide steps to fit (they're about 27 3/8" actual width).

If the brackets are any closer together than that, you'd be safer with the 25 1/2" wide model and sufficient spacers. The factory brackets are welded to the frame in the back and bolted to the underside of the flooring pretty good out towards the front, so moving them out a little would be a fairly big deal.

With all that said, we've measured many a rig at pretty close to the above amount or higher. Ours were about 27 1/4" between brackets and I didn't have any trouble spreading the brackets enough to get the 27 1/2" wide steps up into place.

Power247

Thank you both!! I will get some measurements this weekend 👈

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

coram8

I'm a little bitty guy (only about 280 or so) so I was wondering if anyone has tested the weight limits on these steps. I always put an extra support under the bottom step on our factory steps. I also usually have to place a separate fold up step below the bottom step, otherwise that first step up is pretty big for my kids and dog. The Glowstep Revolutions looks like it would solve these issues if they are solid enough for my weight.

MCTalley

I'm a little bitty guy (only about 280 or so) so I was wondering if anyone has tested the weight limits on these steps. I always put an extra support under the bottom step on our factory steps. I also usually have to place a separate fold up step below the bottom step, otherwise that first step up is pretty big for my kids and dog. The Glowstep Revolutions looks like it would solve these issues if they are solid enough for my weight.

They list the weight capacity of the four-step unit at 375 lb. I'm 210 and have all but jumped up and down on ours and they're solid.

ram_1955

We have these steps on the back and front doors of our RW.
I am 210 and DW and I have both been on the steps at the same time with no adverse effects.
We get lots of couples looking at ours in campgrounds, seems lots of people are looking for better steps.

As a note when I bought the first set I was hoping to have the steps fold out with shorter distance between the steps so I bought a 6 step. Well that didn't work out so I removed a step making it a 5 step which is what the measurements on Tork- Lift's web site showed. Second set I ordered a 4 step and added the extra step in to it. So now I have 2-5 step stairs.

I also added longer handles for DW's convenience.
IMG_2443.jpg