Insurance

CoveredWagon

What types and amounts of coverage, if I may ask do you carry? Not what carrier but what type.

thanks,

dave

danemayer

RV coverage is usually an extension of your auto policy and covers Collision & Comprehensive. Liability coverage is on the tow vehicle.

You'll want to look at the detail on how contents are covered, and vacation liability coverage.

I've been told that some policies just cover the RV shell - not the appliances or furniture. Something to be clear on.

Some companies offer full replacement cost coverage for the first few years of an RV's life, then dropping to max of the original purchase price for the next few. Other companies provide Actual Cash Value coverage, which is the depreciated value.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Our rig insurance is with a different carrier (specific to RV's) than our home, auto, and pontoon. Although the latter three are the same company, they are independent policies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lou_and_Bette

Since we are full timers, not all insurance companies will write a policy for us. We have a company that does cover full timers. Our policy covers RV, truck, and contents. We selected a $500 deductible on both RV and truck but if both are damaged in same incident, a likely scenario, only have to pay one deductible for both repairs.

HornedToad

One caveat if you insure your TV & RV on separate policies...

On most personal auto policies the liability from the pulling unit flows to the trailer without limitation, no problem if the trailer is on a separate policy.

If you have a large TV that is over the GVW eligible for a personal auto policy and it is insured on a business auto (commercial) policy then this liability flow to a trailer is usually limited to small utility trailers if the trailer is not specified / listed as a unit on the business auto policy. So if you have the TV on a BAP and the RV insured on a separate policy that only includes premise type liability then there could be a gap that leaves the trailer without any auto liability coverage.

Most insurance agents are aware of this situation and can structure your coverage accordingly, if you buy insurance from separate companies over the phone then please keep this in mind.

pegmikef

RV coverage is usually an extension of your auto policy and covers Collision & Comprehensive. Liability coverage is on the tow vehicle.

You'll want to look at the detail on how contents are covered, and vacation liability coverage.

I've been told that some policies just cover the RV shell - not the appliances or furniture. Something to be clear on.

Some companies offer full replacement cost coverage for the first few years of an RV's life, then dropping to max of the original purchase price for the next few. Other companies provide Actual Cash Value coverage, which is the depreciated value.

I have basically what Dan said with a liability rider of $1Million on my auto policy instead of whatever the standard requirement is, with the RV being an extension of the policy. Since I insure four vehicles (one with the RV), and my home with the same agent/company I have been doing business with for twenty plus years, I get a pretty good hack on the cost, but it is still a little pricey for everything.

donr827

The coverages I had on my trailer was comp, collision, replacement cost on trailer, liability and contents.
Don

MCTalley

From a full-timer's perspective, make sure to check coverage on more expensive personal items that you carry with you (i.e. DSLR cameras and lenses, laptops, etc.). Most policies allow you to select a coverage amount on contents (such as $5,000, etc.). However, when reading the fine print, you might find that that coverage will not pay more than, say, $1,000 for any one item. On a previous policy we had to cover our laptops with separate riders.

avvidclif

Yeah, mine is due for renewal and I need to read the fine print. A bunch of very good suggestions and gotcha's to look for.

Thanks everyone,

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Another coverage offered: trip interruption/emergency expense coverage. Very good to have if you have a breakdown on the road and are stranded somewhere while waiting for repairs. This can cover stuff like hotel stay and non-refundable park fees.

LBR

One caveat if you insure your TV & RV on separate policies...

On most personal auto policies the liability from the pulling unit flows to the trailer without limitation, no problem if the trailer is on a separate policy.

If you have a large TV that is over the GVW eligible for a personal auto policy and it is insured on a business auto (commercial) policy then this liability flow to a trailer is usually limited to small utility trailers if the trailer is not specified / listed as a unit on the business auto policy. So if you have the TV on a BAP and the RV insured on a separate policy that only includes premise type liability then there could be a gap that leaves the trailer without any auto liability coverage.

Most insurance agents are aware of this situation and can structure your coverage accordingly, if you buy insurance from separate companies over the phone then please keep this in mind.

Thanx for this insight on the larger TV issue which we are going thru also...we have a BAP TV pulling a non BAP fiver and am wanting to combine the 2 on one policy to avoid "the caveat" should payout time occur.

jleavitt11

retired Utah Chapter Leaders
I just wanted to clarify one thing. While the liability coverage does cover the damage the RV may cause while hooked to the tow vehicle. The Collision and Comprehensive coverage do not follow. The RV will always have to be added to the auto policy or on a stand alone policy. We get a phone call a week here in our office from clients who think their auto policy automatically covers the RV once is is hooked to the tow vehicle. Now while I am licensed in several of the western states, I would guess there could be some states where that could be different but I have not seen one in 30 years.

Jeff

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I just wanted to clarify one thing. While the liability coverage does cover the damage the RV may cause while hooked to the tow vehicle. The Collision and Comprehensive coverage do not follow. The RV will always have to be added to the auto policy or on a stand alone policy. We get a phone call a week here in our office from clients who think their auto policy automatically covers the RV once is is hooked to the tow vehicle. Now while I am licensed in several of the western states, I would guess there could be some states where that could be different but I have not seen one in 30 years.

Jeff

I remember reading something in my policy recently, and there's a limit that is far lower than what these Heartland trailers are worth! I think it's meant to cover a U-haul trailer or something like that.

HornedToad

Jeff

Thanks for the clarification Jeff...

My post was just in regards to liability coverage and many insureds do mistakenly assume this flow would also apply for Comp & Collision damage to the trailer.

Abear79

And your rv insurance covers your rv even if someone else is pulling it. Well here in Louisiana. My in-law picked up my rv for me, hit a parked car and my rv insurance had to cover my rv. His auto insurance covered the parked car. Not sure if I could have fought it, it was family so just rolled with it.

jleavitt11

retired Utah Chapter Leaders
That's true. The coverage always follows the vehicle. So if you had your TT on a policy it would be covered no matter who was towing it. When you let someone borrow a car or trailer or anything else and they are involved in an accident even if they have there own insurance it is going to be your policy that pays the damages.

Jeff L

HornedToad

That's true. The coverage always follows the vehicle. So if you had your TT on a policy it would be covered no matter who was towing it. When you let someone borrow a car or trailer or anything else and they are involved in an accident even if they have there own insurance it is going to be your policy that pays the damages.

Jeff L

Historically in most states, the car owner's insurance must pay for damages caused by an accident.

However, in Texas some companies have recently adopted ‘Other Insurance’ Coverage Endorsements for Liability and Medical Coverage. This ‘Other Insurance’ Endorsement reads that when a policyholder lends out their car to a driver not listed on the policy and that driver is responsible for an accident, that driver’s own insurance policy will be considered the primary source of coverage. If the driver does not have their own insurance, the vehicle owners policy will continue to be the primary source of insurance, and if the drivers liability limits of coverage are exhausted the vehicle owners policy could apply as excess.

As companies look for ways to control claims cost, this 'Other Insurance' approach could likely spread across the auto insurance industry.

avvidclif

I'm doing my shopping around and found out several things. The auto policy that my rv was on does cover the entire rv if totaled, appliances and all, anything permanently attached to and part of the rv. It had a limit of personal property set at $3,000, computers etc. Hmmmm I was quoted a separate policy with higher personal limits (20k) and replacement cost on the rv. BUT at $600/yr more. Neither covered anything damaged by voltage surges, high or low voltage, or appliances that died. Need to ask about water damage but don't think so. Basically they are "Accident" policys, if it's not an accident it's not covered. More to come as I'm having a sit-down with the agent to do some more comparing.