Changing Hydraulic Fluid in hydraulic reservoir

Hi All~

I have a 2012 Heartland Landmark that has a 4 point + 2 slide hydraulic level system. Our 5ver is experiencing the popping noise that addresses in other posts so I will be adding CAT fluid additive as suggested... After doing a bit of research I've been seeing in the LCI manuals that it's recommended to change the hydraulic fluid every 36 months. We purchased our trailer used and I can't find any documentation that the fluid was ever changed nor did the dealer advised if it was changed, so I can only assume that it has not.

Since I'm going to be removing and adding hydraulic fluid and the CAT additive I figured this would be a good time to go ahead and just replace all of the old fluid in the reservoir. In all of the LCI literature I see the suggestions on how to add small amounts of fluid but nothing that references how-to fully change the fluid... So I just want to make sure I do this right.

My questions is: When I change the reservoir fluid, can I simply just suck out the old fluid and replace with new fluid while all of the hydraulic stuff is retracted or are there anything additional I need to do? Like re-priming the entire system???

The whole process seems pretty straightforward but I just want to make sure I have all of my bases covered.

Thanks!
Ryan

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
My questions is: When I change the reservoir fluid, can I simply just suck out the old fluid and replace with new fluid while all of the hydraulic stuff is retracted or are there anything additional I need to do? Like re-priming the entire system???

Thanks!
Ryan
That's the way I would do it.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

Hi Ryan,

I'm not aware of any way to empty the tank other than using a bulb to suck the fluid out. When the tank is empty, there's probably still a bit of fluid in the pump and in the hoses. I think you'll be leaving that old fluid which will eventually mix with the new. Given that you aren't purging the entire system, I don't see where any priming is needed. But you probably need to cycle things a few times to mix the new fluid with the old.

MTPockets

I used a manual transfer pump..or, siphon pump as I recall it's about $10 at auto parts store

Great, Thanks for the responses, it's much appreciated! Figured I probably just need to siphon out the old fluid and just replace but just wanted to double check around.

Cheers!
Ryan

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I'm getting ready to do mine,and I wasn't sure if there is a special type of fluid or a special kind you would recommend?
Any synthetic or blend ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) will work. You can use Dextron III or Mercon5.
I would substitute a quart ATF with Torco RFF15 fork oil. Or add some Caterpillar 1U-9891.
Follow this link to a Lippert Lipsheet for instructions on additives. [LINK]

Peace
Dave

The LCI Leveling system fluid for a 2015 Road Warrior 390, it appears the recommended fluid is Automatic Transmission Fluid, correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk