I think this site saved me a lot of money in my future.

Mattman

Over my last year on this site I have picked up a lot. Especially weights, ratings, and towing. My dream after I retired or close to it was to buy a nice truck and 5er. Sell my home and live like a nomad. But all the discussion of things you have to watch, and pay attention to when towing what can be 100k worth in a set up has turned me off. So I guess for that I am thankful. It may have cost me a lot of money later for something that I probably wouldn't be enjoying. Sounds to stressful to me pulling one. So thanks for the info guys. It helped me learn it's not for me. My opinion might change at some point. But for now I'll stick with my little TT.

Oregon_Camper

Full-time RVing isn't for everyone. Enjoy your RV... We loved ours! We are still 7 years away from going full-time....but talk about it everyday.

Kbvols

Mattman

Don't let some of the talk or things you read affect you too much. There are always extremes one way or the other. I agree some of the posts can scare the heck out of you but have to keep in perspective. I went from a 26' TT to a 36' fifth wheel and will honestly say I much more enjoy pulling the fiver over the TT.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CoveredWagon

Over my last year on this site I have picked up a lot. Especially weights, ratings, and towing. My dream after I retired or close to it was to buy a nice truck and 5er. Sell my home and live like a nomad. But all the discussion of things you have to watch, and pay attention to when towing what can be 100k worth in a set up has turned me off. So I guess for that I am thankful. It may have cost me a lot of money later for something that I probably wouldn't be enjoying. Sounds to stressful to me pulling one. So thanks for the info guys. It helped me learn it's not for me. My opinion might change at some point. But for now I'll stick with my little TT.

agreed it can be expensive, but a 5th wheel travels a lot easier than a TT. of course that's only part of the whole deal. Good luck with whatever you do. 😊

LBR

If you could ride shotgun with an experienced driver for a couple days, while he is pulling a monster fifth wheel (with properly setup TV of course), your mindset WOULD be altered...Betchya!

Awareness and respect of the fifth wheel is key element, just as is the respect you give electricity in your profession....You can do this.

Give this some thought as you will be depriving yourself and loved ones of a fantastic experience, IMO. My DW and I are headed into full timeing in our CY, completely off the grid and are totally jazzed... can't wait!

Good luck with your endeavours...

Domi

You can always full time in a TT. That is our intention at this point. Looked at a NT 29 RTLS (I think) and was really impessed with the space. If something happens to the job before I retire the plan is to upgrade to a new NT and head on the road. 5'vers are nice but we see a lot of people that full time in TT's.

Our dream is still alive.

John and Domi

avvidclif

All I can say is when I switched from a 26' BP to a 30' fifth wheel I said I would never go back because of the towing experience. And yes the BP was set up correctly. Difference between night and day when meeting or being passed by a large vehicle.

Westwind

My first RV was a 26" Sunnybrook Travel trailer we used it to camp occasionally in the summer, sort of tough to leave a resort town with beaches in the summer, and to snow bird in Florida from 2-3 months in the winter. It was only a two season trailer and we got 9 years out of it. It was a great trailer and served us well. One of the best purchases we made was a Hensley Arrow ( https://hensleymfg.com ) and it towed our travel trailer like a fifth wheel and I was comfortable towing with a 1/2 ton truck. But I eventually bought a 3/4 ton diesel and that made towing even easier. Eventually we upgraded to our current fifth wheel and it tows great, but the negatives are cornering, the needed swing out, a trailer follows much closer. The other was backing it in, I can still have difficultly depending on the site, my wife says I'm dyslexic when it comes to backing in.
Would I full time "NO", I enjoy my home, yard, neighbors and being near family. I'm fortunate we can afford to travel to Florida for 4 months in the winter and then come home. I really enjoy doing it and we have made some really terrific friends, the difference being in a RV resort is the socialization which you don't find in a residence (house, condo etc.)
Towing a trailer isn't rocket science, but it isn't for everyone, I researched and talked to folks who had RV's for over 5 years before I pulled the switch and my wife actually pushed me into it. I love to drive anywhere, I stay away from cities, by finding alternate routes which is great because you see things you never would in a car. My wife is not a "Camper" we had to get a Washer/Dryer because she hated laundromats, she hates watching everyone pass us etc., but she doesn't mind it once we get there.
Good luck in your decision!

Lynn1130

Not my cup of tea, but for some it is everything. You have to be totally sold on it before jumping in or it can be very disappointing.

Poofam

We full time on a permanent resort site and love it, Dead in the winter and party (or not) in the summer. An RV has everything you need without the worry of a big house (or condo) to heat,cool and clean. What I'm getting at is you don't have to travel to be full time and it's cheap living compared to a home. We have more good friends now then we ever have when we owned homes and that is nice. I have never pulled my fiver (yet) 16 Landmark Charleston but just got my 2015 GMC 3500, got it incase a hurricane comes and we have to move. I drive big trucks (over size and over height some times) so size doesn't bother me, you just need to pay attention to you surroundings and be prepared for the fools that thing you can stop on a dime. Try and spend a week at a resort that has activities and maybe you'll find out you like it that way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk