The insane roads we travel.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
FWIW....my neighbor is a Oregon State Patrol....if you're doing 10mph under the posted limit, he will/has/can pull the driver over. At speeds 10mph below the posted speed, you are considered a hazard, as everyone will be jumping over to pass....which makes them increase their speeds and the snowball starts.

Wow, I can't imagine -- we have some speed limits at 75 and 80 in Texas, we are usually pulling at 60-65.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brianlajoie

FWIW....my neighbor is a Oregon State Patrol....if you're doing 10mph under the posted limit, he will/has/can pull the driver over. At speeds 10mph below the posted speed, you are considered a hazard, as everyone will be jumping over to pass....which makes them increase their speeds and the snowball starts.

Since the posted speed limit is 55mph for trucks in Oregon (I propose a fiver qualifies) one would need to be going slower than 45mph. I would agree (and many others too) 45mph on a highway that is generally going 65mph is going too slow and should be pulled over. In Texas I don't even go 10 mph slow than the 80 mph speed limit sign - I go even slower. In Colorado there some posted minimum speed limits.

dykesj11

Arizona too - 75 in lots of areas. I think even I40 west of Flagstaff is 75 and where there's some of the worst interstate condition in the country. One good thing about going a little slower than most traffic - you sure get to see how many crazy drivers there are. I'm thinking I was probably one of them in younger days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Since the posted speed limit is 55mph for trucks in Oregon (I propose a fiver qualifies) one would need to be going slower than 45mph. I would agree (and many others too) 45mph on a highway that is generally going 65mph is going too slow and should be pulled over. In Texas I don't even go 10 mph slow than the 80 mph speed limit sign - I go even slower. In Colorado there some posted minimum speed limits.

I propose you have a pickup and a trailer not a truck. Are you stopping at the dot weigh stations too? When I see a truck speed limit I apply it to 80k semi's. States that want people to drive as slow as you claim to drive will usually say "vehicles with trailers" or something like that in my experience.

Sent from my PU-36 Explosive Space Modulator.

Oregon_Camper

I propose you have a pickup and a trailer not a truck. Are you stopping at the dot weigh stations too? When I see a truck speed limit I apply it to 80k semi's. States that want people to drive as slow as you claim to drive will usually say "vehicles with trailers" or something like that in my experience.

That is correct for Oregon. Towing an RV does not classify you as "Truck".

Update...talked with neighbor last night. He said he probably wouldn't pull over a truck/trailer doing 10mph under, but it is more of an issue with car/truck NOT towing something. He went on to say this is normally someone trying to NOT get pulled over and trying to hide something...which for the most part is a drunk driver.

Now...if you're staying in the left lane too long (regardless of speed)...he will get you. :)

brianlajoie

Sent from my PU-36 Explosive Space Modulator.

When I drive, any time I see a warning sign for trucks - I pay attention. When the sign says 35mph for vehicles over 26k GVWR, that means me even though I weigh a little over 22k. It doesn't specify trucks and it has nothing to do with weigh stations. It has everything to do with safety. So when you come down Floyd Hill, I guess you are going the speed limit for the cars since the warning sign didn't specify "vehicles with trailers"...

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I generally skip Floyd Hill when coming down the mountain and jump on Hwy 6 at Idaho Springs when the trailer is in tow.

Been cut off too many times by the local Mario Andretti's . . .

carl.swoyer

Well, I certainly don't think I would ignore any caution signs 😰

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Lou_and_Bette

No John, I'm talking about those yellow signs used often to indicate a slower speed for ramp/curve etc. The LEO's can and will, at their discretion, give you a citation.

carl.swoyer

I'm stuck on "STUPID" cause "STUPID" stuck on me. Sounds like a great song.lol

nscaler2

I am constantly amazed by the NASCAR types who HAVE to exceed the speed limit, pass on 2 lane roads in no passing zones, and the we end up at the next stoplight side-by-side. What did they save (30 seconds?) to be putting themselves and the general public at such risk???

Yes, and they will be the same ones sitting at the GREEN light, not moving, fooling with their phone. I call them go on red and stop on green folks.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Just because the speed limit my be 70 mph doesn't mandate that everyone has to go 70 mph. I can travel in the travel lane and go 65 mph . If that doesn't work for other drivers than they can pass in the passing lane. All driver have the right to travel at different speeds. Just because I'm giving myself a safety window to react to the crazy people who tailgate and do Nascar style lane Changing does not by any stretch of imagination mean I caused the accident. Further more it's the aggressive driver that causes the accidents.

I don't think you should look at slower drivers as causing accidents, but as being a contributing factor. Folks get defensive easily when someone contradicts what they do. No need for that here. If you want to drive slow that's on you. No one can tell you different. But if you drive like that knowing there are folks in a hurry behind you, and you still don't think you are a contributing factor in what they do next you are delusional.

Everyone who has driven has seen first hand what happens when a 65 mph semi is passing a 64 mph semi. Is he just doing his job and working? Sure he is. Is the fact that it is going to take him a couple of miles or more to pass contributing to the actions of the "in a hurry" drivers behind him? You bet. Cause and affect. Action and reaction.

carl.swoyer

I think that this is a good conversation. I have accomplished what I set out to do. Get people to think and talk about our insane roads.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
How about the slow pokes who like to get in the fast lane . . . and drive slow :confused:

RandyDeb

My last duty station was in Houston, TX. Using your turn signals was just tipping your hand to the stupidly aggressive drivers, that for whatever reason needed to be in front of you. Please don't get me wrong, I love Texas. But turn signals on a vehicle with TX plates is a waist of money. I think I'm going to put a note on my dash to myself (TAKE YOUR TIME)! At the risk of being shunned by yawl I did a little research I know, its for commercial drivers, but sure can apply to the discussion.

The following is from the MNDOT 2005 Model Commercial Driver’s License Manual
Section 2 – Driving Safely Page 2-14.

2.6 – Controlling Speed = Driving too fast is a major cause of fatal crashes. You must adjust your speed depending on driving conditions. These include traction, curves, visibility, traffic and hills. Includes weather.

2.6.1 – Stopping Distance = Perception Distance + Reaction Distance + Braking Distance = Total Stopping Distance
Perception Distance. The distance your vehicle travels, in ideal conditions; from the time your eyes see a hazard until your brain recognizes it. Keep in mind certain mental and physical conditions can affect your perception distance. It can be affected greatly depending on visibility and the hazard itself. The average perception time for an alert driver is 1¾ seconds. At 55 mph this accounts for 142 feet traveled.
Reaction Distance. The distance you will continue to travel, in ideal conditions; before you physically hit the brakes, in response to a hazard seen ahead. The average driver has a reaction time of ¾ second to one (1) second. At 55 mph this accounts for 61 feet traveled.
Braking Distance. The distance your vehicle will travel, in ideal conditions; while you are braking. At 55 mph on dry pavement with good brakes, it can take about 216 feet.
Total Stopping Distance. The total minimum distance your vehicle has traveled, in ideal conditions; with everything considered, including perception distance, reaction distance and braking distance, until you can bring your vehicle to a complete stop. At 55 mph, your vehicle will travel a minimum of 419 feet. The Effect of Speed on Stopping Distance. The faster you drive, the greater the impact or striking power of your vehicle. When you double your speed from 20 to 40 mph the impact is four (4) times greater. The braking distance is also four (4) times longer. Triple the speed from 20 to 60 mph and the impact and braking distance is nine (9) times greater. At 60 mph, your stopping distance is greater than the length of a football field. Increase the speed to 80 mph and the impact and braking distance are 16 times greater than at 20 mph. High speeds greatly increase the severity of crashes and stopping distances. By slowing down, you can reduce braking distance.
The Effect of Vehicle Weight on Stopping Distance. The heavier the vehicle, the more work the brakes must do to stop it, and the more heat they absorb. But the brakes, tires, springs and shock absorbers on heavy vehicles are designed to work best when the vehicle is fully loaded. Empty trucks require greater stopping distances because an empty vehicle has less traction.

2.6.2 – Matching Speed to the Road Surface
You can't steer or brake a vehicle unless you have traction. Traction is friction between the tires and the road. There are some road conditions that reduce traction and call for lower speeds.
Slippery Surfaces. It will take longer to stop, and it will be harder to turn without skidding, when the road is slippery. Wet roads can double stopping distance. You must drive slower to be able to stop in the same distance as on a dry road.

Lou_and_Bette

Factors, IMHO, promoting the "insanity" of many drivers;

1. With the constantly improving crash safety systems being developed, people are less fearful of being in an accident.
2. Constantly improving "vehicle autonomy" leading drivers to rely on the vehicle to keep them safe leading to less attentiveness.
3. Increasing the "agility" and power of vehicles leading to a desire to "airing it out"
4. Increasing the size and "toughness" of trucks leading to the "I'm the biggest and baddest thing on the road so clear a path."
5. Loss of consideration for others and increasing "its all about me" mentality.
6. Deterioration of infrastructure across the USA related to the need to spend tax money on more "important" things.