The insane roads we travel.

Desertsky

Its not the slow drivers that ****** me off, but the slow drivers who insist on driving in the middle lanes of the freeway (truckers included!). I guess their mindset is, "if I'm not in the slow lane, I can't be going slow". Reminds me of driving the M25 around London. All of the lorries (big rigs) are governor limited over there. If one has their governor set 1/10 of a mile faster than the next guy, they will take 5 miles to pass blocking two lanes of motorway. I like the law in the Netherlands that prohibits big rigs on the freeways in cities during commute hours!

LBR

The DW and I just got done taking the AARP Drivers course online a few days ago and I would recomment it to everyone here. It is geared towards towards the aging drivers as it's focus, but if it was modified properly, it could be directed towards all drivers 16 years and older....and I personally would like to see it mandatory for every driver. It really puts all attributes of driving on the table....cost was $13 and some change.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

BigGuy82

There are studies all over the world that slower drivers cause more accidents than the "NASCAR" style drivers you outed in this post. Many studies show that slower drivers create the "NASCAR" drivers. From one that I read it says,

The report notes: ’In reaction to these slow drivers, almost half (45%) of motorists risk overtaking, thus increasing the chances of an accident.

Many agencies can and will issue citations for driving to slow and impeding traffic as it is creating an unsafe environment for all of the drivers around them.

Granted there are those that in a hurry no matter what and I am guessing just like some folks in big huge rv's, they shouldn't be driving period.

Nonsense. I do the speed limit and never less than 5 under and I've had dummies pass me on the shoulder (because I had the gall to be in the passing lane while passing), cut me off by literally inches, shoot across multiple lanes to get to an exit, etc. Somebody doing 90+ isn't doing that because someone is going slow. Not to mention the criminal idiots who are texting at highway speeds.

Maybe the reason that these homicidal nut cases aren't being arrested is because the cops are stopping all of those slow drivers ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Apropdoc

Utah Chapter Leaders-retired
My two cents...after driving in the CONUS, Korea, ALL of Europe, and in the middle east (multiple countries), I can safely state, that driving in Europe is the safest. They actually enforce the laws (especially in Austria on the mountain roads). Driving here has become so hazardous because driving laws are not enforced anymore. When the dumb idiot is allowed to drive like an idiot without repercussion, others will follow suit. For example, cops in northern Utah almost enforce traffic law, most just ignore the bad drivers and concentrate on the Krispy Kreme that they are enjoying, or the tragic accident that killed a family because somebody was drunk and driving. Law enforcement in AZ and SC are exactly opposite, they actually ENFORCE State driving statutes.
Just my view.

BigGuy82

Factors, IMHO, promoting the "insanity" of many drivers;

1. With the constantly improving crash safety systems being developed, people are less fearful of being in an accident.
2. Constantly improving "vehicle autonomy" leading drivers to rely on the vehicle to keep them safe leading to less attentiveness.
3. Increasing the "agility" and power of vehicles leading to a desire to "airing it out"
4. Increasing the size and "toughness" of trucks leading to the "I'm the biggest and baddest thing on the road so clear a path."
5. Loss of consideration for others and increasing "its all about me" mentality.
6. Deterioration of infrastructure across the USA related to the need to spend tax money on more "important" things.

Can't argue. Maybe someone can explain why we sell 600, 700, 800, 900 horsepower cars. Does someone actually need a Corvette or Charger that will do 150 - 200 mph? And just because your modern mommy told you all of your life that you are a "special snowflake" doesn't mean that you own the road - it's really NOT all about you ... mommy was wrong. Infrastructure improvement - for an excellent example of how that's working, drive the interstates around any big city - I-65 South through Birmingham springs to mind. Cincinnati and Columbus are beauts also. Vehicle autonomy leading to less attentiveness? Let's don't forget about texting idiots - why is it still possible to operate a vehicle and have a phone in your hand? If the phone is in your hand, it should not work while the car is in motion.

As far as big trucks are concerned, I don't agree. I drive a 9,000 lb diesel dually and I don't have a "get out of my way attitude" at all. What I do have is a certainty that in the event of a collision, I have a better chance of living as opposed to the "eco friendly" piece of tin foil that the other guy is driving. Epitaph: I Got 40 MPG On My Way Here

Lou_and_Bette

As far as big trucks are concerned, I don't agree. I drive a 9,000 lb diesel dually and I don't have a "get out of my way attitude" at all. What I do have is a certainty that in the event of a collision, I have a better chance of living as opposed to the "eco friendly" piece of tin foil that the other guy is driving. Epitaph: I Got 40 MPG On My Way Here

Sorry Dick, didn't mean to infer all "big truck" drivers fall into that category. You can see from my sig that I am driving a F450 so I know it's not all of us who are causing problems. I was referring to the "horsepower cowboys" who are jacking only the truck's suspension up so high that they need a stepladder to get into the "beast" but haven't added one inch of ground clearance because of the transmission/differential. The ones who feel they need to race away from every traffic light and through every parking lot with black smoke pouring out of the big exhaust pipes, and don't bother to adjust their headlights so they blind regular drivers when coming from the front or back. Again, sorry I rattled your chain, was unintentional.

BigGuy82

Sorry Dick, didn't mean to infer all "big truck" drivers fall into that category. You can see from my sig that I am driving a F450 so I know it's not all of us who are causing problems. I was referring to the "horsepower cowboys" who are jacking only the truck's suspension up so high that they need a stepladder to get into the "beast" but haven't added one inch of ground clearance because of the transmission/differential. The ones who feel they need to race away from every traffic light and through every parking lot with black smoke pouring out of the big exhaust pipes, and don't bother to adjust their headlights so they blind regular drivers when coming from the front or back. Again, sorry I rattled your chain, was unintentional.

Chain wasn't rattled at all - just making a point. In fact,my wife and I have a standing joke about "jacked" 1/2 tons - we call them "cute little trucks".

BigGuy82

I saw this news article and was immediately reminded of this recent thread on the forum. Take a look at this new mechanical wonder:

http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/05/autos/toyota-worlds-fastest-suv/index.html

Really? The world needs an SUV that goes 230 mph? Let me tell you exactly what happens when someone buys one of these. They want to show how fast and manueverable their new toy is and they immediately fancy themselves as a Grand Prix driver. But don't worry! I'm sure it is just loaded with "safety" features like side collision avoidance, rear collision avoidance, lane centering warning, hands free operation of everything (so you can chat while your going 230 mph), and of course, it is no doubt the safest in it's class! The only thing not included is a brain, which the purchaser could likely use.

They say the most dangerous thing about driving on super highways is the speed differential. Lets calculate! Speed limit 70. This SUV 230. Potential speed differential = 160 mph. What could possibly go wrong? Yes, I know this is a test vehicle, but note the Bentley will do 187 mph stock.

Somehow, I don't think that obnoxious vehicles such as this one make our "insane roads" any saner.

MCTalley

That 230 mph SUV is a special one-off version solely for trying to set an off-road record. They'll never be sold at a dealer.

On the other hand, Jeep is introducing a Grand Cherokee with the 707 HP Hellcat engine in it. Should be a few of those wrapped around trees pretty soon.

BigGuy82

That 230 mph SUV is a special one-off version solely for trying to set an off-road record. They'll never be sold at a dealer.

On the other hand, Jeep is introducing a Grand Cherokee with the 707 HP Hellcat engine in it. Should be a few of those wrapped around trees pretty soon.

Utter insanity. Actually, I'm amazed that any insurance company would even write a policy for these things.

Lou_and_Bette

Utter insanity. Actually, I'm amazed that any insurance company would even write a policy for these things.

I would imagine the policy would cost a pretty penny and, knowing the insurance companies are NEVER going to lose money, they'll raise every policy holders' rate a little bit to cover the potential claims.

BigGuy82

I would imagine the policy would cost a pretty penny and, knowing the insurance companies are NEVER going to lose money, they'll raise every policy holders' rate a little bit to cover the potential claims.
Good point. So, to recap, the fools that own these cars may kill me AND they are costing me more money. Perfect.

Lou_and_Bette

Good point. So, to recap, the fools that own these cars may kill me AND they are costing me more money. Perfect.

Eureka!!! You've got it. Insurance companies encouraging auto makers to increase HP so they can increase rates...kind of like lawyers going to congress to make laws that only lawyers can interpret. Case in point, good friend nearing 70 buys new Charger. Very clean driving record, been with same insurance company for years, gets quote on rate AFTER the sale...practically new Charger FOR SALE, he can't afford insurance.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Chain wasn't rattled at all - just making a point. In fact,my wife and I have a standing joke about "jacked" 1/2 tons - we call them "cute little trucks".

That is funny!

I have never been a fan of lifted pickups. I do not get the reasoning behind it. Being a ranch/farm kid I can never recall a time where I even thought having a lift on my pickup would have been helpful. My neighbors son went to Dodge last year to test drive a lifted 1 ton. On the test drive while trying to make a light the center of gravity showed up and he rolled it. Granted there was some inexperience there but still.

alexb2000

This is America still right?

You wouldn't know it from the bizarre irony going on today. First as many have pointed out we are selling some really fast cars these days. Unfortunately, you can't turn them loose for several reasons:

Some 400lb. guy in a Hyundai is cruising in the fast lane doing 55 while eating a super burrito and watching Mission Impossible for the 207th time.

EVERYONE is texting and NO one looks in their rear view mirror or drives the least bit defensively.

The police have so much technology and at least in Texas they are sitting on the side of any stretch of open highway. I really wonder if we reassigned traffic officers to felonies, we wouldn't snuff out 90% of crime. I counted 13 police cars running traffic between the TX/NM border on 40 and DFW last week.

I am glad to have grown up in a time when the police and speeders played a long running game on more equal footing. Back when muscle cars weren't owned by 50+ year old professionals and everyone didn't take things so seriously.

Brad Paisley's Mr. Policeman captures those memories perfectly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT9UCH2koIU

I remember even in the early 90's a dealers sign on a Kawasaki Ninja 1100 absolutely 100% guaranteeing that it would outrun any police car in the USA. Sold a lot of bikes, now they'd get sued.