Loaded question - No battery installed

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Erika, can you "borrow" a battery from another vehicle or friend and put it in as you remove the first battery and then remove second battery. This would keep you energized until you got the new batteries?

Our park is small and I don't think anyone would let us borrow a battery, but a good thought. I guess in theory we could borrow one from our truck if we took our small SUV to go get the batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Our park is small and I don't think anyone would let us borrow a battery, but a good thought. I guess in theory we could borrow one from our truck if we took our small SUV to go get the batteries.

Unless you're driving to Timbuktu for the batteries, you could leave your rig unpowered. Your fridge should stay cold for hours unless the cats open it to get a treat! Other than that, unless it's sweltering down there, the rig should stay comfortable for a while, too. Leave early to get it done before noon.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I've always thought that the battery(s) needed to be connected to complete the circuit.

TedS

I've always thought that the battery(s) needed to be connected to complete the circuit.

Batteries are needed only when you don't have 120vac available. And for large amp draw 12v stuff like hydraulic system. Otherwise the converter provides 12vdc sufficient for lighter loads like control boards and led lights.

danemayer

John,

Your circuit breaker panel and fuse box each have a ground buss bar where all the ground wires for individual circuits are tied down. A ground wire from each buss bar goes to the frame, as does the negative battery terminal. I think the ground wire from the Power Converter also goes to the ground buss.

If your 12V DC devices are getting the 12V from the Power Converter, with no batteries in the loop, the ground buss to frame provides a ground path to close the circuit.

When the battery is the primary power source, I believe the negative post of the battery has to be grounded to the frame in order for power to flow from the battery.

That's how it works in my imagination, and maybe also in reality.

dbbls59

Operating without a battery might be OK for a short time but the converter output is not even. There will be fluxuation in the voltage. The battery smooths that out.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Unless you're driving to Timbuktu for the batteries, you could leave your rig unpowered. Your fridge should stay cold for hours unless the cats open it to get a treat! Other than that, unless it's sweltering down there, the rig should stay comfortable for a while, too. Leave early to get it done before noon.

Well, it's about an hour drive there and hour back, plus time to shop (Sam's Club).

Probably like you mentioned, get it done early. Highs are creeping into mid 80s already.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
John,

Your circuit breaker panel and fuse box each have a ground buss bar where all the ground wires for individual circuits are tied down. A ground wire from each buss bar goes to the frame, as does the negative battery terminal. I think the ground wire from the Power Converter also goes to the ground buss.

If your 12V DC devices are getting the 12V from the Power Converter, with no batteries in the loop, the ground buss to frame provides a ground path to close the circuit.

When the battery is the primary power source, I believe the negative post of the battery has to be grounded to the frame in order for power to flow from the battery.

That's how it works in my imagination, and maybe also in reality.

I can wire up a stereo system like nobody's business, but when it comes to electrical wiring I don't have a clue. :confused:

Except how to turn it on or off or plug and unplug . . . :p :rolleyes: :D