Smartphone GPS

Desertsky

For those with a smartphone and want a great offline GPS system, Sygic works great! No need for a cell signal and all the maps are contained in your phone. I tried the free version and liked it so much that I paid for the full North America and Europe maps during one of their sales (I think it was $25 or so). It also works with GPS enabled tablets. I have it loaded on an ASUS 7" tablet that I got from Micro Center for $30. You can also add your own POIs. One unique feature of this one is in 3D drive mode, it shows the hills and mountains on the horizon as you drive! If you go through a pass, the hillsides around the road are shown. Difficult to describe but provides a semi-realistic view of what you should be seeing out the front of the vehicle.

Lynn1130

I looked at it to see if it was worth loading but it has only one star. The one rating says it is missing a lot of details.

Oregon_Camper

FWIW...You can also use Google Map in offline mode. Just need to set an area that you want to have downloaded and it will save that area to your device.

I use this while riding new dirt bike trails....Yep, I've been lost before and offline maps on my phone really helped.

Desertsky

FWIW...You can also use Google Map in offline mode. Just need to set an area that you want to have downloaded and it will save that area to your device.

I use this while riding new dirt bike trails....Yep, I've been lost before and offline maps on my phone really helped.

That feature is OK for small areas but an entire state would kill all available memory. In the average smartphone, you can store nearly the entire USA for offline use with Sygic. Just saw that new version has HUD feature as well.

- - - Updated - - -

I looked at it to see if it was worth loading but it has only one star. The one rating says it is missing a lot of details.

Check it out. I don't pay any attention to those star ratings unless there are a lot to look through. I don't know what details they think it is missing but for me it works better than Google Maps and my wife's Garmin.

As far as bridge height, I don't know if it has that and I doubt it. It isn't much of a concern for me since my trailer is lower than just about all of them.

Oregon_Camper

That feature is OK for small areas but an entire state would kill all available memory. In the average smartphone, you can store nearly the entire USA for offline use with Sygic. Just saw that new version has HUD feature as well.

I'm able to download all of Oregon, via 2 separate downloads and it was only 3.2gb. I have a 64gb SD card in my Samsung Galaxy S7, so space isn't really a factor.

I looked at Sygic, but didn't see anything special that would make me move over. Truth be told, I use Waze 95% of the time....Google Maps only when I'm offline.

Agree, the interface looks awesome. :)

Finally, it seems like way too many of the features included most other Navigation apps, are all in app purchases with Sygic.

Capture.JPG

dykesj11

If I'm in just my truck, I love Waze. It seems to me to be the best at keeping us out of traffic and on the right path. We love it. For towing, I'm trying out Sygic Truck & RV which unlike the standard version allows me to enter RV length, width, height and weight to figure the route. In fact, you can enter attributes like number of axles, number of trailers, etc (big truck stuff). I'm also checking out Copilot recommended somewhere on the forum. Also allows height to be entered. Neither Sygic nor Copilot are particularly inexpensive but I have a phobia of coming upon a low overpass on a narrow road. One of these will ease my fears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ljossi

If I'm in just my truck, I love Waze. It seems to me to be the best at keeping us out of traffic and on the right path. We love it. For towing, I'm trying out Sygic Truck & RV which unlike the standard version allows me to enter RV length, width, height and weight to figure the route. In fact, you can enter attributes like number of axles, number of trailers, etc (big truck stuff). I'm also checking out Copilot recommended somewhere on the forum. Also allows height to be entered. Neither Sygic nor Copilot are particularly inexpensive but I have a phobia of coming upon a low overpass on a narrow road. One of these will ease my fears.

as a avid Waze user, i am curious to how you liked those other apps? I have been thinking of using another one for when i am towing.

DebiMac

Very interested to hear how you like Sygic Truck & RV. Thanks for the info!

DebiMac

We have been using Garmin for RV’s. Sometimes it picks wacky routes, but we’ve always been safe from low bridges, etc.