110v 15A breaker for 50 Amp RV

NYSUPstater

Just q quick question. Where we park our RV next to garage, we have a 110V outlet to which we've plugged in our old 30 Amp RV into using an adapter. Only thing(s) we turned on are the fridge or lites. No problem. Now that we are getting a BC w/ 50 Amp cord, can we do the same thing w/ same 110 outlet using a 110-->50 Amp adapter cord? If this isn't safe, then why would such adapters be made? In my mind, all should be okay as long as not trying to use everything inside the RV. Or am I just better off running new wire, change outlet to a 50 amper and dedicated breaker in main power panel? Total distance from power panel to said outlet approx 14'.

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
Just q quick question. Where we park our RV next to garage, we have a 110V outlet to which we've plugged in our old 30 Amp RV into using an adapter. Only thing(s) we turned on are the fridge or lites. No problem. Now that we are getting a BC w/ 50 Amp cord, can we do the same thing w/ same 110 outlet using a 110-->50 Amp adapter cord? If this isn't safe, then why would such adapters be made? In my mind, all should be okay as long as not trying to use everything inside the RV. Or am I just better off running new wire, change outlet to a 50 amper and dedicated breaker in main power panel? Total distance from power panel to said outlet approx 14'.

I have a Big Horn that is 50 amp and when we get ready to go I always plug into my 110 to get the fridge cold before we leave. I do have a heavy duty ext cord and a 50 amp to 15 amp dog bone that I use. Just need to be careful not to run too many things in the RV at one time.

justafordguy

A 50 amp circuit/plug would be best but the 15 amp adapter will work fine as long as you limit the items you turn on.

NYSUPstater

Thanks fellas. Was kinda hoping this would be okay....save me the hassle of re-doing the outlet. I should have pointed out that the outlet is a double 1 and mounted sideways onto the side of the garage so it's parallel w. the siding. By using the 15A to 50 A cord/whip adapter, would this put too much strain on it? Screw in a eye bolt next to things and hold up cords w/ a bungee cord to lesson the strain?

pegmikef

Thanks fellas. Was kinda hoping this would be okay....save me the hassle of re-doing the outlet. I should have pointed out that the outlet is a double 1 and mounted sideways onto the side of the garage so it's parallel w. the siding. By using the 15A to 50 A cord/whip adapter, would this put too much strain on it? Screw in a eye bolt next to things and hold up cords w/ a bungee cord to lesson the strain?

I plug my BH into a 20 amp 110 circuit using two dog bones, 50 to 30/30 to 20 (110).

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

One thin I found is that my old RV worked fine. But with my new RV with 50amp Service it would always trip the GFI breaker.
I now have 50amp Service so no more problems for me.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

danemayer

Good idea to have some support for the cord/adapter.

Stress on the connector could cause problems and possibly damage the pins. If you lose the ground pin, an electrical issue on any of the trailer appliances could cause a serious safety issue called "Hot Skin" where the trailer body and steps can be electrified.