Tire changing with the Lippert Level Up system and safety

DW_Gray

Let’s discuss using the Lippert Level Up as a means to change a tire and safety practices.

Lippert’s hydraulic system is more than capable of lifting and holding a trailer up off the ground, even for extended periods of time. I lifted my empty Cyclone off the ground at a storage lot for 8 months until I brought it back down. It did not budge an inch for the whole 8 months.

Lippert and Heartland may advise owners now not to use the hydraulic system for maintenance because their attorney instructed them to for the reason of liability protection. I don’t believe for one minute it had anything to do with lifting limitations.

It’s been said that lifting the trailer off the ground could invalidate the warranty. I think that would be difficult to enforce. Occasionally, my trailer has been lifted off the ground on one side at an RV park because the ground was sloping down on that side. I doubt any company could deny a warranty in those situations.

It has been said that jack stands under the trailer are not needed when the hydraulic system is being used to change tires. Sure, a consumer can do whatever he or she wants to. They are not required to abide by any safety practices.

I have lifted one side to change a single tire. I don’t view this technique unsafe at all. However, if I remove all the tires on one side or I’m going to do some work underneath, I use jack stands and strongly recommend everyone do so.

On the other hand, an employer at a repair facility is required to abide by certain safety practices.

Every time I have taken my trailer in for axle or brake work, the techs there have me raise the trailer up and then lower it down on appropriately rated jack stands.

On Dec. 29, 1970, President Richard M. Nixon signed The Occupational Safety and Health (OSH) Act of 1970. This act states:

5.(a) Each employer:
(1) shall furnish to each of his employees employment and a place of employment which are free from recognized hazards that are causing or are likely to cause death or serious physical harm to his employees;
(2) shall comply with occupational safety and health standards promulgated under this Act.

Therefore, the employer is required by federal law to provide a hazard-free workplace and failure to do so can, and often does, result in serious fines. Properly using jack stands is part of the requirement.

The bottom line is, each of us must decide what is the appropriate safety measure for the task at hand. Moreover, just because someone else may do something different than what you or I would do does not always mean it is wrong.

Jack stands can save lives. One of my co-workers in the Postal Service lost his life because he did not use the required jack stand. Never substitute a certified and properly rated jack stand.

dave10a

I use level up forchanging, rotating, bearing maintenance and general suspension work.The only thing one must be careful of is doing it is such away as tonot torque(twist) the frame to cause permanent damage (however Lippert has safety built into the software to minimize that), and watch theshackles so they don’t reverse (some shocks have limited travelwhich minimizes that problem.) If I take more than one wheel off or Isuspend the trailer with two or more wheels removed, I use safetyjacks. One wheel will off will not let the trailer axle slip to the ground unless both wheels on the same side are removed, but it would go down about half way. One should always be aware of what could happen to be safe and use appropriate precaution.

NYSUPstater

We were told the 6pt could lift 1 side of coach to change a tire if need be. Just recently, i installed a wet bolt kit on susp. I attached 5er to truck, raised front legs off the ground, then jacked up raer of 5er w/a 25ton bottle jack then placed 10 ton jack stands directly under frame. Lowered 5er down until it rested on stands. For the most part no problem. Problem I encountered was trying to re-align front spring back into hanger. Finally got it, but don't ask me how. When I did the other side, repeated the procedure. However, this time I could NOT get the spring into hanger. After a few choice words, I finally said "Let me try the 6pt and get the opposite side tires off the ground. Still learning how to operate the control panel, I FINALLY got the other side in the air. Spring lined right up in shackle in 2 seconds. Grrrrrrrrrr. Once done, unhooked from truck and hit "Auto-level". For whatever reason, one side's tires were off the ground which never happened before. Went on a trip following weekend and when parked in same spot and auto-leveled, all tires were on ground now.

If I need to change a tire on the road, I have a safety vest like the hiway workers wear and couple blocks of wood to use under bottle jack. Guess if ai get proficient enough on operating the control panel for the 6pt, may use the appropriate jacks instead. Would I fell comfy using just them? Yes, BUT for only taking 1 wheel off at a time. Otherwise if both wheels coming off same side, jack stands will be used.