110v Flush Mount Light on 12v?

mixie57

We bought a regular 110v LED flush mount light for over the sink to replace the 2 hanging pendants which were 12v. We did this because we couldn't find any 12v lights like this that we liked and didn't cost an arm & a leg. Here is the link from Lowe's. http://low.es/2ryifhE

So now the question is; how do we make it work? To complicate things, we discovered it has a dimmable control box built in.

I'm guessing the 12v isn't enough to power the LEDs? Would we have been better off with a fluorescent one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hoefler

What ever fixture you install, you will need to convert it to 12v or figure a way to get 110v to it.

danemayer

The LED circuit boards probably run off 12V DC, so there's likely a 120V AC --> 12V DC converter somewhere close to where the cord plugs into the outlet. Maybe you can figure out how to modify it.

mixie57

There is a converter in place already for all our 12v lighting in the RV on the Cyclone (2013 4100) right?

danemayer

There is a converter in place already for all our 12v lighting in the RV on the Cyclone (2013 4100) right?

Yes, but don't confuse the coach's converter with the one built into the thing you bought. If you want to use the 12V DC from the coach, you'll have to somehow adapt what you bought to use 12V DC.

Last edited:

Kbvols

Yes, but don't confuse the coach's converter with the one built into the thing you bought. If you want to use the 12V DC from the coach, you'll have to somehow adapt what you bought to use 12V DC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mixie57

The only thing on the fixture is a dimmable controller. We didn't know it was dimmable when we bought it. Didn't want that feature.

rxbristol

Since you like the fixture, what I would do is replace the 110 volt wiring with the 12 volt wiring...should be fairly straight forward. You can get brighter 12 volt lights by using extremely bright bulbs (920 fittings) that are designed for backup car lights. They cost a little more, but produce a lot more light.

mixie57

Since you like the fixture, what I would do is replace the 110 volt wiring with the 12 volt wiring...should be fairly straight forward. You can get brighter 12 volt lights by using extremely bright bulbs (920 fittings) that are designed for backup car lights. They cost a little more, but produce a lot more light.

What does 12v wiring involve?

bsuds

If you can you should return the lights you purchased for a refund and look for proper 12V lighting.

mixie57

We did return it and bought two 12v lights from Camping World. It was more than we wanted to spend but in the long run (hiring someone), it was cheaper. Thanks for your help.

mixie57

409c7ea62c053d6945e2056af0dd02c8.jpg