Help me identify this line?

StrongJava

While in the belly of the beast, I noticed a water line I had not seen before, and I realized it was kinked. This got me wondering what it what and how it would be affecting whatever system it supports. Thing is, I'm not sure what the line is for?

In the first picture, there are two (not counting the one looped at the very top) blue lines. The one to the front is the sewer flush line, which I guess runs up and connects to the vent, or somewhere else in the waste line? For reference, the black pipe to the right of that picture is the toilet waste line.

The other blue line is the one I'm asking specifically about. It also runs up into the wall, but as you can see from the second picture, it is connected to the white line that is kinked. The kink was a lot worse before I pulled it up to take the picture. The white hose runs underneath the floor. Is this part of the flushing system? Is there branch up high that I can't see, but that then runs down and connects to the black tank?

Thanks.

Cheers, Tim

IMG_3448.jpgIMG_3447.jpg

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Tim,

The black tank flush has a vacuum breaker that has to be located above the highest water connection in your rig, usually above the shower faucet. So the two blue lines going up probably go behind the shower wall and the vacuum breaker is located there. The water goes from the inlet at the UDC up behind the shower, back down, and then to the black tank. My guess is the flexible line was to make it easier to get to the black tank without a lot of elbows.

I'm no expert, just regurgitating what I've read.

Erika

$_35.jpg
Vacuum Breaker

StrongJava

Thanks Erika!

I'd had that thought, but really didn't understand there would be a line running back down. Now I get it.

I've noticed when I flush my black tank that the hose make a long of noise, and that I get quite a bit of back pressure when I disconnect the flashing water hose. I'm suspect both are caused by the kink in the hose.

I'll try to straighten it out. Lord knows though, it has been like that since 2007!

Tim

wdk450

Thanks Erika!

I'd had that thought, but really didn't understand there would be a line running back down. Now I get it.

I've noticed when I flush my black tank that the hose make a long of noise, and that I get quite a bit of back pressure when I disconnect the flashing water hose. I'm suspect both are caused by the kink in the hose.

I'll try to straighten it out. Lord knows though, it has been like that since 2007!

Tim

You could tape a rigid rod to the hose at the kink, or split some PVC pipe and secure it around the kink.
You could also remove some of the excess tubing and use this crimp free Sharkbite brand coupler to re-connect the tubing sections together: http://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBite-1-2-in-Brass-Push-to-Connect-Coupling-U008LFA/202270492

jbeletti

Tim - if by "back pressure", you mean that water flows out of the black tank flush connector when the hose is removed, that is normal. It's the water column in the line from the vacuum breaker to that hose connection.

StrongJava

Tim - if by "back pressure", you mean that water flows out of the black tank flush connector when the hose is removed, that is normal. It's the water column in the line from the vacuum breaker to that hose connection.

Thanks, Jim. I think that makes sense.

- - - Updated - - -

You could tape a rigid rod to the hose at the kink, or split some PVC pipe and secure it around the kink.
You could also remove some of the excess tubing and use this crimp free Sharkbite brand coupler to re-connect the tubing sections together: http://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBite-1-2-in-Brass-Push-to-Connect-Coupling-U008LFA/202270492

Appreciate the reply, Bill. I have done some plumbing repairs in the past and have some of the crimp-style connectors. Yes, it appears the easier approach is going to be cut the blue tubing off, and reconnect the hose so it has a gentle curve.

However, I ran out of steam today, so I buttoned it back up, and will have it on the list for the next time I remove the wall :)