Wifi

Kathi-27

Don't know any thing about computers so here goes. Just got back from trip to Colorado and stayed at several rv parks. Most of the spots we where at where at the rear of park and could not pick up wifi signal was told would probably need ant amplifier. What. Am I looking for and are they wireless. Can only find boosters for modems. Any help please

B

Boatman

We installed a Jefa-Tech system in our 5er, and added their 6 ft whip antenna to our ladder. The antenna is a great help in pulling in weak signals. Also allows for you to password your signal. Here's a link: https://www.jefatech.com/ Good luck and travel safe.

Oregon_Camper

How much data do you think you're using?

Watching Netflix or just checking email and surfing the web?

Wifi amplifiers are nice, but they need constant configuration from site to site, so this might be a bit challenging if you're not that tech savvy.

I'd recommend a cellular hotspot. All providers offer them and you can purchase blocks of data or unlimited data...depending on your needs. The bonus here is you can take it anywhere...not just something tied to your RV.

Oh...your phone can also create a personal hotspot...perhaps that is all you need?

danemayer

Hi Kathi,

The challenge is that you probably need 2 devices that work together, or a combination unit. You can get a WiFi Signal Booster with high performance antenna, like this. That'll give you a significant improvement. BUT, it has to plug into something compatible. I used to use the Rosewill Booster plugged into a Pepwave Surf on the Go Router (in place of the stock antenna on the Pepwave).

The Pepwave had 3 weak points. 1) It was difficult to configure - very hard for a someone without a lot of experience. 2) It only handles 2.4 GHz signals. While that's the majority of campgrounds today, the move to 5.0 GHz is underway, providing many improvements. 3) The internal transfer of data is a bit slow for anything other than casual web browsing. It'll work for streaming video, for example, but just barely.

The Pepwave has other redeeming features, like support for connecting to a cell data network (AT&T, Verizon, etc), if you have a Jetpack that is compatible.

Last year I switched to an Edimax WISP Router that is very reasonably priced. I think it's easier to set up and configure than the Pepwave, but it's still not what I would call easy. It has very good reception, supports both 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz, and is very fast. I use it in WISP mode. In WISP mode, all of your devices connect via the router. You make one connection to the campground WiFi. And if at a campground that has Tengo Internet, the coupon code gets the router authenticated on Tengo, so you only need 1 coupon code.

None of this stuff is very easy. And if the campground WiFi isn't very good, or the campground is crowded, you may find that nothing helps very much. But if you're willing to experiment, you should be able to get better service than what you currently have.

Gaffer

We never use public wifi. We have no land lines and find that our Verizon Mifi works very well for us as we don't stream movies.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Hi Kathi-27. I'm not real smart on such things and Dan Mayer is very good. With that, I need something that works very simply. So here's my suggestion...

I have used Sprint, AT&T and now using Verizon. Sprint and AT&T do not cover the US as well, in my opinion, as Verizon.

Go to Verizon and take your computer with you. Now Verizon will start with a hotspot on your cell phone which could be good if you might like it. Many do.
But for me I use a plug in modem. Like this.

DSC_2818 [1024x768].JPG DSC_2820 [1024x768].JPG

This plugs into the USB ports on your computer. Have Verizon help you set it up. Then all you have to do is plug it in when you want to use it and launch a small program that comes with the modem and your off.

I don't use campground or open WiFi's. I have my own router and plug in my modem, then just connect to my router like you would the to the campground's WiFi but it is mine and no one can use it but me.

For me this is KISS... Keep It Simple Stupid.

FWIW
BC

BTW... Verizon just gave me unlimited data and reduced my bill by 20 bucks. I an iPhone as well but don't use the hot spot..