What GPS do you use and would you recomend purchasing it?

JWK

That's good to hear! I just did the update a couple of days ago so haven't had a chance to try it out yet. Here's hopin'!
Bad news good news story
completed the update on my RV760 and the unit crashed and went into a reboot loop and will not startup
good news Garmin are replacing it free of charge. I pay the shipping one way.
The unit will be three years old in Jan 2018. They said that because it happened during a software update the will exchange for $0.00 I am very impressed with Garmin support

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I have a Rand McNally 5510 and will get another (with a bigger screen) when the time comes.

When our previous trailer broke down in Phoenix a couple of years ago I went to the POI’s and it showed all of the RV repair shops in the area along with address and phone numbers.

Plus, it also has directions to just about everything you might need, like the liquor stores, gas stations, airports, campgrounds, restaurants and much more!

It even has all of the Camping World stores in it.

I’m thinking about getting the tablet one next time.

fastcarsspeed

Have been using the Copilot RV app this season and other than I am not keen on the sound of the voice of the woman it is pretty decent.

JohnD

Took these on a drive up to 12,000 foot Cumberland Pass, Colorado a couple of weeks ago:

RM5510CumberlandPass-PA111427.jpg

RM5510CumberlandPassTruck-PA111434.jpg

wdk450

One thing to keep in mind, is that when you want to do map upgrade uploads, you need to have a large capacity high speed internet connection. I updated my Garmin the other day at my sister's house with high speed internet, and it took 1-3/4 hours of wifi router connected time. If you think about it the data involved in mapping all the roads in North America, along with all of the points of interest (restaurants, gas stations, etc.) is a HUGE amount of data. I am continually amazed by how much data these GPS's store.

I live fulltime on the road, and only have a Verizon hotspot with 10 GB monthly for my internet needs, so I had to find somewhere else with Broadband High Speed internet to do my BIG GPS map upgrades (and my Windows laptop updates).

Last edited:

Geodude

Bad news good news story
completed the update on my RV760 and the unit crashed and went into a reboot loop and will not startup
good news Garmin are replacing it free of charge. I pay the shipping one way.
The unit will be three years old in Jan 2018. They said that because it happened during a software update the will exchange for $0.00 I am very impressed with Garmin support

That's a bummer but good that Garmin is being their usual helpful selves. The same thing happened to me on my 760 when I went to install the Low Clearances database, and Garmin replaced the unit even though it was a month out of warranty. They set me up with another 760 and the same thing happened! Then they couldn't find another 760 for me so they sent me a 660. So far I have NOT tried to install Low Clearances on it! They had no idea why it was causing problems and neither did the Low Clearances folks.

JohnD

My Rand McNally didn't come with lifetime maps, but when I paid the $90 for it and downloaded the new maps it crashed the unit.

They had me send it back to them on their dime and replaced it instead of trying to fix it.

It was two years out of warranty when this happened.

kf5qby

Garmin has been really good. They replaced my first hand held GPS after it was thrown from my Jeep during a roll over. They replaced it for free even though I told them what happened. They said that since there was not visible marks on the case they would replace it under warranty.