Telescoping Ladder Needed

Redrider007

Just wanted to get opinions on those who have purchased one of these ladders. I am removing my stock ladder because it is garbage and need to reach the top of my 5th wheel-Also are there any good ones out there that have some type of protection for when the ladder is against the rv?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:

Oregon_Camper

We bought this one back in July and LOVE it. The RV is tall, so I went with the 15 foot model. The locking mechanism is fantastic. Locks in very secure and then when you want to retract the ladder, they unlock just as easy.

I just place a small towel over the end to protect the RV. They sell a snap on cover for the ladder, but it was just too much $$ for what you really get. The towel works great.

Link to Amazon

61vua+7bTKL._SL1174_.jpg

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We bought this one back in July and LOVE it. The RV is tall, so I went with the 15 foot model. The locking mechanism is fantastic. Locks in very secure and then when you want to retract the ladder, they unlock just as easy.

I just place a small towel over the end to protect the RV. They sell a snap on cover for the ladder, but it was just too much $$ for what you really get. The towel works great.

Link to Amazon

View attachment 54807

I have the next shorter version of that ladder (I don't use it to get on the roof, though) that I bought back in 2012. After a while, you may find it doesn't always like to retract as easily as it did when new. On occasion, I've had to retract it as much as possible, then invert it to get the rest of it retracted. The other thing not to get for it is the carrying case they sell. Didn't take long for the seams at the bottom to start ripping. Even with the problems, it is still about the best for carrying in the rig basement without taking up a lot of space and weight.

Previously, I carried a 13 ft. Cosco version of the Little Giant ladder. Heavier than the Extend & Climb and takes up more space.

I still use the rear ladder to get on the roof.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We bought a 12' telescoping ladder back in 2011, and still use it. The features we were looking for: 1. high weight limit (ours is 330lbs) 2. taller than the rig -- some of these don't recommend standing on the top-most rungs, so better to get taller than what you need. 3. Usable at any height. Make sure the ladder can be extended part-way and still be used. Some have to be fully extended to lock in place. 4. Check the warranty and return policy. Make sure if you don't like it or it fails too soon, you can get a resolution easily.

We use a towel bungeed to the top rung for protection against the rig. The rubber at the top can still leave a mark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
We have the 15' telescoping that has worked very well.

CAUTION. DO NOT GET IT WET!!!

I loaned it out at a campground to someone who had done me a favor. When he brought it back he said "That's really nice. It doesn't retract very easy but I guess that's because it's new" Apparently he laid it down in sand and figured hosing it off was the best way to clean it. WRONG The manufacturer says that the locking mechanism absorbs water and must be dried thoroughly to ever come close to working smoothly again. It does work fairly well again after leaving it extended in the sun for several days but I still hear the grating sound of sand caught inside.

happykraut

My wife made a sleeve that fits over the top of the ladder. No problem with scratches. It came in a very nice carrying bag that is holding up very well. Highly recommend it, but do have to agree with JohnDar that sometimes it doesn't want to retract as well as I want it to. I has retracted every time so far.

esscobra

the werner brand of little giant extending ( homedepot also has copy cheaper )- very stable- yes takes up more room but lots more stable and more usage options- going to mount under rear using another spare tire carrier

redevil

Got one this year off Amazon as well. Just don't let it slam down on your fingers when you retract it back in....:rolleyes:

Super handy and light weight.

Bones

Link to Amazon

View attachment 54807

I bought the same model. I have only used it once though. It currently resides in the front closet.

mlpeloquin

I have one. First how mush do you weigh? Then how much weight would you add with stuff going up? I purchased one with a 330lb rating. There are some that are rated in the 260lb to 300lbs. I would not take off the existing ladder even though it is worthless. I use it to help stabilize the telescoping ladder when getting onto the roof by butting the top section across the top of the existing ladder. Also you can mount a flag pole to the existing ladder as well.

teasac69

Link to Amazon

View attachment 54807
I too bought the next smaller version and I love it. I easily reach the top of my slides to blow them off but use this to get to the top of my coach ladder then use the handles of the coach ladder to get on the roof

Crumgater

CAUTION. DO NOT GET IT WET!!!

I loaned it out at a campground to someone who had done me a favor. When he brought it back he said "That's really nice. It doesn't retract very easy but I guess that's because it's new" Apparently he laid it down in sand and figured hosing it off was the best way to clean it. WRONG The manufacturer says that the locking mechanism absorbs water and must be dried thoroughly to ever come close to working smoothly again. It does work fairly well again after leaving it extended in the sun for several days but I still hear the grating sound of sand caught inside.

Seriously? Can't get it wet??
That wouldn't do us any good here in Seattle, then.

We have a Little Giant. No need to lean it against the rig to use it, either.

Redrider007

Thanks-I weigh under 200 plus all ladders have a safety factor so weight shouldn't be an issue. I did end up removing the old ladder because I made the mistake of hanging a couple bikes and the ladder bent in severely- I did bend it back fairly well so I put it in the garage storage in case I want to re-mount it again or replace it. I have the 3010RE so removing the ladder gave a full view out of the rear window which of course we like.

I have one. First how mush do you weigh? Then how much weight would you add with stuff going up? I purchased one with a 330lb rating. There are some that are rated in the 260lb to 300lbs. I would not take off the existing ladder even though it is worthless. I use it to help stabilize the telescoping ladder when getting onto the roof by butting the top section across the top of the existing ladder. Also you can mount a flag pole to the existing ladder as well.[/