CB RADIO communications among traveling RVs

NYSUPstater

Swearing is the norm in just general conversation. Some will go on rants and start using every name/word in the book if they get PO'd w/ someone. Can have just a couple or so folks talking and swear like it's no big deal. Topics are very interesting and informative despite the swearing. The "10" code is no longer used as are call signs or handles. Well some still use handles, but many just use first names. Channel 9 I don't think is monitored much by anyone for emergency use. Ch 19 is still the "truckers" channel. Word of advice for those that use walkie talkies. Their frequencies are the same as CB's (ie: ch 14 or others) so don't be alarmed if you get someone else talking other than your "spotter". With what I just wrote, pertains to CB's. Am not a Ham user, so cannot comment on them.

kf5qby

Just how bad is the vulgarity on CB or Ham these days? The wife and I met over CB 46 years ago and kept up with it until I was transferred to Germany in 1975. When we got back we noticed how bad the language had gotten that we just put up the radios and have not tried them since. However, getting close to retirement and thinking about going back into it. Plus was Civil Air Patrol for many years and miss it so may go back to that as well :D.

For Ham radio you rarely if ever hear vulgarity. At least this has been my experience.

dave10a

I have a CB in the truck, but rarely use it anymore because my GPS and phone apps keep me informed better on traffic conditions. Also I got tired of the vulgarity of some truckers. In short CB are obsolete. However if you convoy with other RVers it could have a use. The CB craze of the 70/80's seems to be replaced with the smartphone ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Just how bad is the vulgarity on CB or Ham these days? The wife and I met over CB 46 years ago and kept up with it until I was transferred to Germany in 1975. When we got back we noticed how bad the language had gotten that we just put up the radios and have not tried them since. However, getting close to retirement and thinking about going back into it. Plus was Civil Air Patrol for many years and miss it so may go back to that as well :D.

Ham radio operators are educated beyond the need to use vulgarity, beside the FCC frowns on it :angel:

porthole

Retired
Ham radio operators are educated beyond the need to use vulgarity, beside the FCC frowns on it :angel:

With marine radios the FCC requires the English language and proper use (no foul language) yet both of those are widely disregarded and no enforced.

LBR

I rely on my truck ham radio in a slightly different manner than most do.

We have a TH with our SxS and ride the deserts and mountains with many others, of which most of us are equipped with 50/60 watt off-roading radios. The rest have 5 watt handhelds programmed to whatever frequency we run that ride and are sandwiched between the high output radios for total communication from front to rear as we can stretch out for miles due to dusty conditions.

Back at camp for anyone not riding, they will have a 5 watt handheld I program to a UHF frequency that I also program into "one side" of the truck radio at low wattage. The "other side" is our group SxS frequency that is on high wattage. Camp hears us.... we hear camp.

Truck radio is now used as a repeater....camp 5W handheld devices are essentially speaking to my truck radio, it then crosses it over and transmits to the riding group at 50W on VHF....great for either camp or rider's emergencies, coordinating dinner, etc.

While on the road from Oregon headed south, I'll put in a couple frequencies just to monitor....such as the main CHP and CalTrans.

When manuevering the 44' CY in a tight area, the DW can grab our 5W and watches my backside, lol, and we talk back and forth along with using typical hand signals.

To you ham operators, this is just a basic "well Duh" type of procedures, but it may give others here an idea how to incorporate a ham radio thought into their daily ways and means.

OldSlowHans

CinC of Everything Else
Never dabbled in CB, so I can't comment on how useful it might be.

I've been a ham for over 50 years, and a good dual-band (VHF/UHF) transcieiver can be a good "call for help" solution (carry a repeater guide), but so can a simple cell phone. But ham radio is largely useless for checking on local traffic conditions, etc.

Google maps on an iPad is the new "channel 19", and you don't have to listen to foul mouthed drunks.