MCD tension

NYSUPstater

Is there a way to increase the tension on MCD shades so they roll up better? We have 2 that go up somewhat, but really need assistance to go all the way up. I know I've said this before, but just wish MCD would come out w/ something in order to keep them down while traveling. Just to aid in keeping the sun out along w/ everyone else's eyes.

VKTalley

Is there a way to increase the tension on MCD shades so they roll up better? We have 2 that go up somewhat, but really need assistance to go all the way up. I know I've said this before, but just wish MCD would come out w/ something in order to keep them down while traveling. Just to aid in keeping the sun out along w/ everyone else's eyes.

I’m not sure on adjusting the tension...have a couple that need that too. But I leave mine pulled down while on the road and have had no problems...other than one of them falling off the cornice board, which was a first in the two years we have owned and traveled cross country with this rig.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Our Heartland Owners Manuals has information on the MCD shades which includes adjusting tension.
That information can be found here.

Peace
Dave

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
At the National Rally, they said it didn't matter if you left them up or down. And yes there are adjustments you can make for the speed and the stop point of the shade. It has to be removed from the bracket that holds it in. I saw the demo but have not attempted it, so I can't be specific.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oregon_Camper

We just readjusted 3 of our MCD shades last weekend. Best if you remove them from under the valance, unless you can get a small flat head screwdriver up in there.

The White "knob" (use screwdriver to adjust) will set the up/down location.

The Black "knob" (again...you use a flat head screwdriver) will set the tension pressure. Clockwise for more....Counterclockwise for less.

MTPockets

I was always able to move the adjustment roller on one end of the roller, using a long shank flat blade screwdriver. The edges of that roller are serrated so the flat screwdriver blade can move the roller in either direction. Thus, avoid having to remove the shade.

Kathi-27

We just readjusted 3 of our MCD shades last weekend. Best if you remove them from under the valance, unless you can get a small flat head screwdriver up in there.

The White "knob" (use screwdriver to adjust) will set the up/down location.

The Black "knob" (again...you use a flat head screwdriver) will set the tension pressure. Clockwise for more....Counterclockwise for less.
both of ours are black. bottom one is bigger than the top. which one does which adjustment? owners manual not much help

RoadJunkie

YouTube has some video demonstrations of the adjustment process. Do a search on MCD shade adjustment.

Oregon_Camper

both of ours are black. bottom one is bigger than the top. which one does which adjustment? owners manual not much help

Yea...the "White" was more a dark gray.

For ours, the left side (as you look at the shades while attached) was the tension and the right side was the adjustment to set "stop point".

Note....our Bighorn has both shades on same rail. Meaning, one black shade allows you to see through it and the white shade that is the complete coverage.

See page 6 of the MCD manual - Link

Piperflyer

The easiest way to add more tension is to remove the end caps and just roll the shade up on itself by hand. Two to three more wraps should be all you need.