Smoke Detector Questions

I was going to replace the Batteries in the trailer smoke detectors . I replace the one in the front bedroom, on to the next one in living area. Now I get to the rear bunk room and look all over !!!! THERE IS NO DETECTOR OF ANY TYPE !!! Seeing the water heater and furnace is under lower bunk. Maybe it is just me but doesn't that seem to be a really important place to have one ?????? Now off to Lowe's to get a carbon monoxide/ Smoke detector.

Another one the Designer really thought out. Does anyone else have detectors in all areas factory installed or did you add some ???

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Initially, our rig had a CO detector in the bedroom and a smoke detector over the steps/entry door. Using the toaster kept setting off the smoke detector, so I replaced it with two better ones, one in the bedroom and the other at the rear in the living room. I kept the OEM one in place, sans battery, just to not have exposed holes in the ceiling. I also added another CO detector under the counter extension of the kitchen island.

Adding a combination CO/smoke detector to your bunkroom is not a bad idea. Hopefully, your LP detector is in there, too.

Just ordered 2 combo smoke /co alarms. Changing out one in front bedroom only has c/o. Putting the other one in rear bunk room.I really don't know why they would not put type of alarm in rear bunk room when water and furnace are mounted under bottom bunk.I think the travel trailer industry/ RV should have some kind of codes to follow.I mean some people live year round in them so they should have to meet the same standards on a few things a house would.How much more would another fire/co alarm add to the total.

I never noticed one was missing until my son came home after a fire class at school. They asked what type they were battery or elec. Next was when did i check the battery !!! DUH with a dumb look on my face I don't know!!! That is when I found that one was missing. Curious as to how many others have overlooked this ??? All this from a 11 yr old.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Not likely for a RV to have a 120V (or even a 12V) hardwired smoke/CO detector system, but for the standard battery types, we're now suggesting that the batteries get changed twice a year when the clocks get reset. Since we only use our rig during the summer, I put fresh ones in everything that takes batteries when we first tow up to our summer site in early May. I remove them when we put the rig in winter storage in late September.

The used batteries get recycled into some non-safety household devices until they give up the ghost. Things like TV remotes, the wife's fake candles, some flashlights, etc.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Mac the Fire Guy did a seminar at the National Rally in 2015. He recommended a dual smoke detector -- ionization and photoelectric -- to detect two types of fires, smoldering and flash fires.

He also recommends a different type of fire extinguisher, a foam type that uses a non-toxic and non-corrosive firefighting component.

We added a CO and smoke detector to our rig that are tied into our security system, so they will alert us as well if we are away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk