Kidde Fire Extinguisher Recall - 134 Models made between 1973 and 2017

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I did get online earlier after seeing it posted on Facebook. One of my home extinguishers will be replaced. Not able to match the info for my other one, I called Kidde and got a live person. She told me the extinguisher was not in the recall based on the info. I need to go to the storage yard and get the info on the OEM one. The little one on my pontoon will have to wait until spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
The title of this is misleading, the recall goes all the way through 2017! My 2009 unit is not affected but my 2013 units are. My little one that came in the rig is a First Alert and does not appear to be the same kind of mechanism, and the model is not on the list, even though I suspect it may be manufactured by Kidde.

JohnDar

I think the title only indicates the year the recall was issued. The actual span of it goes back to 1973, I think. Funny that my older one, bought as a Sears labelled product, but obviously made by Kidde, is not recalled. It’s identical to one of the photos and at least 20 years old.

wdk450

The title of this is misleading, the recall goes all the way through 2017! My 2009 unit is not affected but my 2013 units are. My little one that came in the rig is a First Alert and does not appear to be the same kind of mechanism, and the model is not on the list, even though I suspect it may be manufactured by Kidde.

It looks like I had some brain freeze when composing the thread title. The last date on the thread title should be 2017. Sorry.

I give the moderators full permission to edit the thread title (and maybe start a new "Fire Extinguishers" area under the "Safety Stuff" section) as they see fit.

A closer reading of the CPSC webpage reveals a link specifically addressed to RV owners on the NHTSA website on the matter: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owner...88023&referenceSearch.urlCode=3PDUWPQ41DPIHEW

I believe that the First Alert brand fire extinguisher supplied by Heartland is NOT subject to the current Kidde (brand) recall. A websearch on "First Alert Fire Extinguisher recall" only came up with a year 2000 recall for First Alert extinguishers.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I composed the title of the thread based on this text from the CPSC webpage: "The recall involves 134 models of Kidde fire extinguishers manufactured between January 1, 1973 and August 15, 2017".

I give the moderators full permission to edit the thread title (and maybe start a new "Fire Extinguishers" area under the "Safety Stuff" section) as they see fit.

A closer reading of the CPSC webpage reveals a link specifically addressed to RV owners on the NHTSA website on the matter: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owner...88023&referenceSearch.urlCode=3PDUWPQ41DPIHEW

Bill, the title says 2013, not 2017.

JohnDar

On a related note, I checked the one in the rig and it’s affected. Registered it online for replacement.