Charleston SC RV Parks

Buckeye

We are planning a trip to Charleston, SC with our Elkridge after the first of the year. Any recommendations on where to stay? Thanks in advance.

kowAlski631

We don't care for the KOA in Ladson (decided to give it a try but kind of dumpy when we were there last year). We stay at Oak Plantation when we go - and we go a couple of times a year.

ziggysun

We stayed at the Mt. Pleasant/Charleston KOA when we went to Charleston. Loved staying in that area, it's close to Boone Hall Plantation and Fort Moultrie and not too far of a drive over into Charleston. It was a very nice campground.

BarbandFrank

We just spent a week at James Island County Park Campground and thoroughly enjoyed our time there. The sites are large and level, and most have very good privacy. We had 50 amp service, water and sewer. The park is extremely well maintained, and clean. It’s very convenient to historic Charleston and Folly beach. We will definitely return.

donr827

We stayed at the Mt. Pleasant/Charleston KOA when we went to Charleston. Loved staying in that area, it's close to Boone Hall Plantation and Fort Moultrie and not too far of a drive over into Charleston. It was a very nice campground.
We have stayed there for our trips to Charleston. Well kept up.
Don

ziggysun

We have stayed there for our trips to Charleston. Well kept up.
Don

We're fairly new to camping so haven't stayed at a lot of campgrounds yet, but the Mt. Pleasant KOA has been one of my favorites so far. We had a huge corner premium site right across from the lake and were lucky enough to see an eagle catch a fish. Agree that it's well kept and the staff were very friendly and helpful with tips for best parking location for the truck over in Charleston.

kbbagshaw

We just spent 10 days at the James Island County Park and loved it. If you have dogs, they have a great area on the lake where the dogs play and swim. They were setting up their festival of lights for Christmas while we were there and we got a little preview. Very big holiday event that would be awesome to see.

Stosh

We stayed at the Mount Pleasant/Charleston KOA when we went in May of this year for a week. The staff was very helpful and the campground is neatly kept. Enjoyed our stay there and will go back again.

Buckeye

Thanks again for all the replies. We have decided to visit Charleston in mid April at the end of our Snowbird stay at Willowtree. Really do appreciate your input and suggestions.

paleclaire

If you like the beach, Edison state park is one of our favorites and the reason we decided to move to Hilton Head Island

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Thanks again for all the replies. We have decided to visit Charleston in mid April at the end of our Snowbird stay at Willowtree. Really do appreciate your input and suggestions.

We will be in Charleston the first week of April for the Historic House tours of downtown. Great time to go.

Buckeye

Our snowbird time in SC is coming to an end soon so we are making plans to visit Charleston next month before we head home to Ohio. Probably going to stay at the Mount Pleasant KOA. Oak Plantation gets the highest reviews but the traffic and congestion comments made me lean towards the KOA. Thanks again for all your comments, suggestions, etc.

DebiMac

Our snowbird time in SC is coming to an end soon so we are making plans to visit Charleston next month before we head home to Ohio. Probably going to stay at the Mount Pleasant KOA. Oak Plantation gets the highest reviews but the traffic and congestion comments made me lean towards the KOA. Thanks again for all your comments, suggestions, etc.
We stay at Oak Plantation frequently. It’s very nice and is quiet if you request a site in the middle of the park. I’m not familiar with the Mount Pleasant KOA but avoid the Ladson KOA...lots of looooong timers...they say they are cleaning it up, but we haven’t seen evidence of this yet. Our short stay there was awful...with constant sewer smells because the management wouldn’t require neighbors to have a sealing ring. UGH! Also, there was a shooting recently.

Enjoyed reading the comments re: the other RV parks. We’ll look into those. We need something as close to Summerville, SC as we can get.

Enjoy your trip home!

david-steph2018

I know my answer has nothing to do with camping there but you will have a great time there.

I was stationed in Charleston in the 80's while in the navy. When you get there go to the Isle of Palms and find the restaurant "The Trawler" great seafood place. When we visited in 2002 I took my wife there for lunch. We ordered shrimp but they were out. We had to wait until the next boat came in for fresh shrimp.
Bad mistake taking her there, now we don't go to any seafood places here in Ohio to eat "fresh" seafood.