MDT Sport Chassis Insurace

Rhyph

MDT Sport Chassis Insurance

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to find insurance for a truck such as a Sport Chassis? So far it's proving elusive, Geico and Progressive won't touch it. I'm doing my pre-purchase homework, and so far insuring the beast is proving to be a challenge.

Thanks in advance! :cool:

jbeletti

Consider giving Jack or Gregg at RVH Lifestyles a call (877-631-0060). They build RV hauler trucks and will likely know what insurers are big-truck friendly.

LBR

Re: MDT Sport Chassis Insurance

National General thru Good Sam.

(314) 493-8776

chiefneon

Howdy!

if your a veteran are have a veteran family member check with USAA. I use them for our MDT.

” Happy Trails”
Chiefneon

B

BouseBill

We use National Interstate for our F-450,but I do believe they are going to leave the personal insurance line. they transferred our auto insurance over to
Safeco and are suppose to transfer the Ford soon.

jleavitt11

retired Utah Chapter Leaders
Most insurance companies wont write trucks larger than an F350 on a personal policy. All of the compaines that offer commercial auto insurance will write it on a commercial policy. The price should be about the same and you have some options for higher liability coverage that most personal policies don't offer.

jbeletti

We don't have an MDT but we do have a truck that many don't want to insure on non-business policies. We have an F450 and are with Liberty Mutual. We had another F450 and an F550, all with Liberty Mutual.

LBR

I've had our truck (our personal fleet vehicle) on our business policy since we bought it in 2005 and had to do some shopping so to bring it onto a personal policy. Thank goodness there are a few underwriters that realize some of us prefer 4 series and up trucks for towing our behemoths, not only for our own safety, but for everyone we meet.

My wish while shopping was for one that insured both the vehicle and trailer as a unit. It is so nice to call the agent and have them look at to discuss both. I did run into one caveat a few days ago tho...

...our Maverick SxS annual premium was coming up for renewal, so I defintely wanted it bundled onto the same policy, as it is always in the back of our Cyclone when traveling. Called the agent and gave him the existing policy limits, etc and got the quote from him...conversation in a nutshell went like this....

him..."$425 a year"
me..."$425?!!.....wow....you sure...who is the underwriter?"
him..."yup....Progressive is the best pricing for our clients SxSs"
me..."well, OK...I'll just renew it again for my $140 a year...thanx tho"
him..."if I might ask, who do you have insure it for $140?"
me..."since 2011, we've had all our SxSs thru PROGRESSIVE!"

So it does pay to shop insurance around as we all know.

For our 2003 5 series Ford truck and 2017 triple axle Cyclone, we are just south of $1000.00/ yr. We just got our new 2017 4 series Ford last Monday and it will put us just north of $1000.00/ yr. The new F-450 is only $120.00 more per year than our old relic F-550....same limits on both so it is an apples to apples comparison.

I'm just one of many who dislike paying for insurance, never using it (knock on wood), but still glad that safety net is required by law and there. I too get cranky knowing I'm paying for others' accidents while also spending more money up-front to help insure everyone that we meet on the road their safety....thus the want for a MDT with more stability and more braking power.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

LBR

We don't have an MDT but we do have a truck that many don't want to insure on non-business policies. We have an F450 and are with Liberty Mutual. We had another F450 and an F550, all with Liberty Mutual.
This again shows that insurances are very tailored to we individuals.

Our business commercial property and F-550 has been bundled with Liberty Mutual for manymany years. When I asked to pull that truck off of the commercial policy and create me a personal account for it, my agent said Liberty will not underwrite it because it is a medium duty/commercial truck.

Our business property is still underwritten with Liberty to this day, but they wouldn't touch that truck for personal....go figure...LOL!

jbeletti

Our business commercial property and F-550 has been bundled with Liberty Mutual for manymany years. When I asked to pull that truck off of the commercial policy and create me a personal account for it, my agent said Liberty will not underwrite it because it is a medium duty/commercial truck.

Our business property is still underwritten with Liberty to this day, but they wouldn't touch that truck for personal....go figure...LOL!

That seems crazy that they will write it for some but not others. Wonder if it was a F450, would your agent write it. Maybe try another agency within LM??

LBR

That seems crazy that they will write it for some but not others. Wonder if it was a F450, would your agent write it. Maybe try another agency within LM??
Several underwriters view the F-450s as an MDT.

We took delivery of ours 5 days ago on Monday. Wednesday I called National General to add it onto the policy with our F-550 and instruct the agent the 450 will be the TV for our CY from now on....simple enought I thought.

The agent who helped me could not complete the application because the new truck would not show in their database. We exchanged VINs back and forth 3 times...our truck was not found. She made good notes on the account and said to call back tomorrow for another agent.

After hangingup, I called right back and got another agent and she put me on hold to research it....came back on and finished it up. I then inquired the issue for my own curiosity.

She told me my F-450 was in an entirely different database than the F-350s and smaller pickups and the first lady must have been a newbie and didn't look in the "truck" database.

I'm just assuming here, but I think it is viewed as a MDT thru my agent/underwriter because of said "truck" database....so confusing!!...hahaha

B

BouseBill

From everything I have read, and been told by several insurance companies an F-450 is classified as a MDT. So an amount of searching for insurance is usually required for new owners.

porthole

Retired

From everything I have read, and been told by several insurance companies an F-450 is classified as a MDT. So an amount of searching for insurance is usually required for new owners.

When I bought my F-350 DRW (December 2010) my insurance, allstate at the time informed me that the truck would need to be insured under a commercial policy due to the GVW (over 10k at the time).
You needed to have a business tax ID to get the commercial policy. Fortunately I had one. Unfortunately the policy not only cost about double, but I lost my 2 car discounts.

After a couple of years of paying and being fed up, I called to cancel the policy and low and behold, the agent was able to rewrite the policy under my regular insurance, and reinstate my 2 car discount.

Last edited:

Rhyph

Just a quick update on my search. I called Geico again, they threw me at commercial and they did finally come back with $8500/yr. I had a real good laugh at that one. Called Progressive again and finally got someone who said I have to call an agent, and that agents apparently have more flexibility in writing custom lines of insurance, so I'll try a few numbers they gave me. I'll also try a few others I've seen mentioned here and go from there.

LBR

One main concern I have with my trucks being underwritten on my "business" commercial policy is come accident time and the phone call is made, I wanted to feel comfortable saying I was pulling the toyhauler for pleasure rather than my equipment trailer for work.

The last thing I want to hear in that call is the agent referring to "line item suchandsuch under subsection soandso on page 7 strictly states blahblah, therefore your claim is denied."

Going thru a true RV insurance company with both vehicles on the same policy, even if it is still underwritten on a commercial policy because of the MDT, is satisfying for my peace of mind knowing there won't be a direct conflict pulling the RV when a claim needs to be made.

Rhyph

Well we finally found the secret key to the kingdom, or something like that so I thought I'd put some closure on this and thanks to everyone for helping with the suggestions. I called National General and asked all the prevailing questions I had developed talking to many others. On interesting restriction I ran into was some nonsense of not being able to drive the truck without the trailer attached (eg run an errand and wreck it - not covered). National General came came back with satisfactory answers and initially was higher than our normal insurance, but not the outrageously high rates we were getting through being forced into business/commercial and/or having the weird usage restrictions others were offering. The agent I was speaking to asked at the last minute, oh by the way, do you have any club memberships like Good Sam, Heartland Owners, KOA, etc? I said well I sure do, take your pick. Since they deal in annual policies he went Good Sam and it knocked $1800/yr off the quote. We ended up being net neutral on the policy vs our Ram 3500.

We then moved forward with buying our truck:

724634f402d7b8198264016daa2d3e9a.jpg