Courtesy light flash

WalkTheLine

Over the years I have always flashed my low beams on/off (not high beams!) whenever a big rig is trying to move back over into my lane as a courtesy so they'll know it is ok to move over. This is useful especially at night when it can be hard to tell distances. I have been the beneficiary of this as well from other tractor trailer drivers when I am pulling my travel trailer and passing a big rig in the daytime or nighttime. I usually get a "thank you" double flash of both rear turn signals and I do the same when passing.

However, I have noticed that people driving RVs or pulling TT's don't usually practice this. Case in point-- I drove 1400 miles r/t to NW Arkansas last week and not once did it work out with anyone but commercial tractor trailers. I passed probably 10-15 RVs and was passed by about the same number. I was wondering if this is limited just to that segment of vehicles? Do most people even know of this trick? Just wondering....

Mike-n-Justina

My husband always does the light flash trick. It really helps a lot in the dark. He used to be an over the road driver for JB Hunt. I think that is probably where he learned this trick.

ram22

I don't think non-commercial vehicles have a convenient way to flash low beams. I'm guessing the truckers do. I do reach down and cycle low beam off occasionally but sometimes awkward or can't do it in timely manner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lynn1130

I do it but not all truckers do it or give me the "thanks" flash back. Like most everything else, including turn signals some do and some don't.

When I am not pulling, I tend to let trucks out of the right lane when they get behind slow traffic and signal to change lanes for passing, just because I can get back up to speed faster than when I am pulling the trailer. I have been there, trying to get out to pass with a trailer on and jerks in cars will not give me a break.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
I still have the habit of flashing my lights for the big rigs that pass me during the day. I quickly turn my lights on and of a couple of times at night. Speaking from experience, and even though it may be a gesture of kindness, high beams are hard on the eyes when they bounce in the cab of a big rig. Really bad if you have been driving all day. I find most of the drivers will still flash their lights in appreciation.

Sent from my PU-36 Explosive Space Modulator.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I do it as well, although I've noticed that a lot of truckers don't give back the love after you let them back in.

WalkTheLine

Thanks. I'm glad it is not just me. It seems to be one of those common courtesy things that have fallen by the wayside over the years.

PondSkum

I do it too. It's very helpful when someone is courteous enough to give you the flash when you're trying to merge right in the dark pulling the long RV.

Gary521

On my TV, the lights stay on all the time ( headlights that is ). At night, the tail lights come on automatically. TO flash the headlights at a passing truck or RV, just pull the turn signal and this flashes the headlights. To say thank you, just turn the headlight switch on and off a couple times. This turns on the trailer tail lights and side/top marker lights. As far as why it is not done more, this is the generation where the word " consideration " does not exist. Perhaps if we all do this more, the practice will expand a bit.

CarterKraft

I don't believe it has to do with generations or courtesy, it has to do with trades and performance.

My dad has driven a truck his entire adult life as a part of his career (crane operator for a steel erection company).
He has noticed "truck driver" has changed as a career where people with no prior experience of trucks/trailers/loads or general labor are now "truck drivers".

You will also notice this at truck stops, when you look over at them driving by etc. as they usually are unable to back well or at all and don't even notice other drivers passing by.

It is an option for these "drivers" to know and use the light flash signal but it is also an option to use the CB for the same use, and again my dad says you are super lonely these days if you are using the CB to communicate while driving a big rig, and as best as I can tell the CB is still plenty effective for the task at hand.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
When I say thanks (I call it ‘Giving the love’) I generally use my emergency flashers and let them blink two or three times.