Verizon Hotspot for internet access . . .

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Anyone out there using the Verizon Hotspot for internet access, how good is it.

I'm used to having Comcast Xfiniti now, but will be moving on soon and looking at Verizon as a solution.

I was at the Verizon store tonight and got pricing, but would like some feedback about it.

Also wondering if I'll need a booster or an external antenna of some kind.

I already am a Verizon customer and have had good cell coverage almost everywhere I go.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have been using Verizon hot spot for years and has served me well.
When I am at my cabin in northern Wisconsin I am in a dead zone and use a booster there, but when we are on the road I have never needed a booster.

Peace
Dave

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
I've used a Verizon Hot Spot for years. I find it very dependable and I have had no issues with reception or download speed. I don't stream or play games while on it, but even on our long western trip last year, I only found one campground where the signal was so weak we had download trouble. All I did was take the laptop into town (about 6 miles away) the day I HAD to get on-line, and had no problems connecting.

rdufek

We use Verizon Hotspot, it serves us well without using a booster. We use it for live stream video so we can keep an eye on our dogs and it works well.

JohnD

I've used a Verizon Hot Spot for years. I find it very dependable and I have had no issues with reception or download speed. I don't stream or play games while on it, but even on our long western trip last year, I only found one campground where the signal was so weak we had download trouble. All I did was take the laptop into town (about 6 miles away) the day I HAD to get on-line, and had no problems connecting.

Thanks for the info!

And it was great meeting you in Vegas at the National HOC Rally while you guys were on that western trip!

Looks like this will be my wifi solution when my new journey begins soon!

- - - Updated - - -

We use Verizon Hotspot, it serves us well without using a booster. We use it for live stream video so we can keep an eye on our dogs and it works well.

Even though I think I am a 'hipster' (aged 57 1/2), I've not really experienced the streaming revolution yet, unless you count my DirecTV at home.

Well, DirecTV is going away in a few days and my Comcast/Xfiniti soon as well, so I may start a little bit of streaming, although most times I'm happy with what I get OTA with my King/Jack antenna on the Prowler.

I am a non-fake news junkie (former newspaper photographer), so will need that fix once in awhile.

jbeletti

John,

I've used a Hotspot with Verizon service for many years, all over the country. They work pretty well. One issue I've had with them at times is "battery swelling" from constantly being on charge.

Speeds will vary based on distance to tower, how much bandwidth is provisioned to that tower and how many users are using that bandwidth. You can have "full bars" of LTE service and still have terrible speeds when too many people are using data from the tower. I've gotten what I'd consider usable signal for email but not web browsing (slowest) to over 50 kbps (fastest for me). It will always be a variable thing.

As you evaluate the hardware, if connectivity to an external antenna will be important to you later, be sure to get a device that has the antenna port on it - not all do.

porthole

Retired
We use a Verizon AC791L.

Seems to work ok. Also have a rooftop omni directional antenna, which doesn't seem to make a difference one way or the other.

THe AC791 is capable of two antenna inputs. So if you were so inclined you could use an omni and a directional antenna together.

One thing to be aware of with smart phones. If you have them set to do automatic updates with apps or software on WiFi only - well you are on wifi when connected to the hot spot.

Gaffer

We use it at home and on the road for all our internet access. Has worked well for us for several years.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
We have been using the Verizon MIFI for the last couple of years. So far the worst service we have received was in Las Vegas at the national rally where we only had one bar of service. Still, we were both able to function quite well work wise. We just upgraded to the newest version yesterday and it is picking up signal off of the tower twice as good as the old one. The down side, they seem to break a lot for us. We are on our third. We have the insurance and Verizon mails us the new one with next day service. We do not use ours to stream movies ever.

JohnD

We have been using the Verizon MIFI for the last couple of years. So far the worst service we have received was in Las Vegas at the national rally where we only had one bar of service. Still, we were both able to function quite well work wise. We just upgraded to the newest version yesterday and it is picking up signal off of the tower twice as good as the old one. The down side, they seem to break a lot for us. We are on our third. We have the insurance and Verizon mails us the new one with next day service. We do not use ours to stream movies ever.

Thanks!

Are you guys still in AZ?

I may be headed down that way in a month or so, although thinking about southern Texas or NM.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I may be headed down that way in a month or so, although thinking about southern Texas or NM.

We enjoyed SE NM last winter...Los Cruces, Elephant Butte. Roswell was OK.
We’re heading back to the S Texas Gulf Coast next month

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mlpeloquin

Last edited:

JohnD

We enjoyed SE NM last winter...Los Cruces, Elephant Butte. Roswell was OK.
We’re heading back to the S Texas Gulf Coast next month

Spent two nights at Monticello Campground at Elephant Butte on the way to the Tucson HOC Rodeo Rally last year and one night there on the way home.

Might stop there when I head that way in the next few weeks.

Took this shot from that campground:

MoonRiseSunSetNM2016-IMG_4633.jpg

porthole

Retired
Winegard was at Goshen
http://www.rvpartsinc.com/Winegard-...7517b1&gdfms=E6A6A4A8324D4C32BC5E3C3BF1E45264
If I was working yet and needed a strong secure connection I’d consider their product

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That winegard product is pricey, especially with the cell option, the service is pricey and they haven't made the antennas flexible yet.

After having non flexible wifi ranger antennas, that is something to consider. Especially if the product has to be sent back to the manufacturer for repair after a tree branch or bird antenna interface.

JohnD

Lots of good info so far . . . thanks everyone!

Keep it coming as this is a very interesting topic!

I own my cable modem and recently bought a new wifi router that I won't need anymore.

Unless there is some way to use that router with the hotspot.

Probably will keep them both just in case I decide to long term somewhere.