Building a WIFI Network Inside My RV

Gaffer

This is a router...that only works with LTE coverage? (meaning...if campground has wifi, this device can't use that) So, if you don't have LTE coverage, then it maintains its LAN, but not a WAN....correct?

What is the value of this over a traditional LTE hotspot?
I plan to use it for cameras while we are away from home. Will keep the hot spot which we currently use for internet for travel. May use the phone for intercom out to the shop. No wired phone, cable or internet at the house.

jbeletti

Time to dust off your Visio skills and map all that stuff out in a diagram for us. :)

I use to love Visio. I don't think it's made anymore. Fun times.

Anyway, below is the closest to a network block-diagram that I have. Differences from it to reality is that I am not using the standard MiFi show in the image, I'm using the Novatel T1114 shown in this thread. I also have a second IP camera on the pinbox, not show below.

The reason I'm using the Home Mifi (T1114) is for the Ethernet. This allows me to place my cellular data onto my RV LAN and feed it to my wireless access point.

RV Network Design - 1-Apr-2017.jpg

TikiDawg

I use to love Visio. I don't think it's made anymore. Fun times.

Anyway, below is the closest to a network block-diagram that I have. Differences from it to reality is that I am not using the standard MiFi show in the image, I'm using the Novatel T1114 shown in this thread. I also have a second IP camera on the pinbox, not show below.

The reason I'm using the Home Mifi (T1114) is for the Ethernet. This allows me to place my cellular data onto my RV LAN and feed it to my wireless access point.

View attachment 56293

Jim,
Looking at your drawing, I am confused.
1.) VZW Jet Pack connected to RaspberryPI USB Port ?
2.) Then RaspberryPI Ethernet Port with Cable to the Voip Port on the USG? But the document for the USG says that port is not active and for future use?? What am I missing here? Did you do some special programming of modification?

Regarding the RaspberryPI... Is there special programming required to make it work for this purpose?

Thanks,
Steve

jbeletti

Jim,
Looking at your drawing, I am confused.
1.) VZW Jet Pack connected to RaspberryPI USB Port ?
2.) Then RaspberryPI Ethernet Port with Cable to the Voip Port on the USG? But the document for the USG says that port is not active and for future use?? What am I missing here? Did you do some special programming of modification?

Regarding the RaspberryPI... Is there special programming required to make it work for this purpose?

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,

That MiFi and the Pi are no longer used. I'm using a MiFi Home with Ethernet ports. Works great!
MiFiHome_002-620x413.jpg

esscobra

look at cradlepoint - you can use wifi as wan as well as any ell provider-

I use/isall these In multiple applictions from rvs to construction trailers to peoples homes in areas with no broadband services- you will want to look at ibr900 or aer1600

Greengas

Get the Hootoo "TripMate" device. I have this and I can't believe what it offers for under $40.

1 - Router (AP mode, bridge mode, router mode)
2 - Battery charger for all USB devices(ipad...iphone...etc)
3 - Media Sharing to anyone you allow (using USBdevice with music or movies on it)
4 - Chromecast fully supported.

This will/can replace your router and it is very easy to setup/connect to internet source. Example...you get WIFI code from campground...you then use the app (free) to connect the HooToo TripMate to campground and then the Tripmate will act as a router and all your devices are connected.

We use this all the time. The best part is it is mobile, so you can move it to a location in your RV with the best coverage.....or even outside if you plan on spending time outside and what phone/tablet with you and have it still online. The battery last well over a day. Just uses standard USB plug to charge it.

I will be adding this to our Blog, with a video in the near future.

Link to Amazon

View attachment 56033

Ok, I know it been a while but at times things are overcome by life. Anyway, I was getting ready to buy this based on your recommendation and I see at their website they seem to have a newer model. I was hoping you could take a look at it and see if it is indeed better, claims to have a faster chipset and can charge more items but the battery is smaller. Anyway, I would appreciate your opinion.

Thanks so very much.

Oregon_Camper

Ok, I know it been a while but at times things are overcome by life. Anyway, I was getting ready to buy this based on your recommendation and I see at their website they seem to have a newer model. I was hoping you could take a look at it and see if it is indeed better, claims to have a faster chipset and can charge more items but the battery is smaller. Anyway, I would appreciate your opinion.

Thanks so very much.

The page says "new chip"...but the page must be old. They both use the same MTK7620 chip.

So, it comes down to saving $20 but having a smaller battery....or spending $20 more and getting ~2x battery. For my needs, I like to have more battery...that always seems to be the issue when dry camping.

Greengas

The page says "new chip"...but the page must be old. They both use the same MTK7620 chip.

So, it comes down to saving $20 but having a smaller battery....or spending $20 more and getting ~2x battery. For my needs, I like to have more battery...that always seems to be the issue when dry camping.

I agree abiut battery size. Placed the order today. another block checked prior to our travel.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I bought this beast for my desktop computer:

ProwlerWifiAdptr-P2151721.jpg ProwlerWifiAdptrBox-P2151723.jpg

This USB wifi adapter ($80 at Micro Center) replaces the wifi card in the desktop, which was the culprit of my desktop being stuck in an endless download loop of Windows 10 (turns out this was an issue with many Gateway desktop computers).

This thing is like having an AC1750 router hooked up!

It is amazing as long as there is good wifi reception.

When I was at my computer guru's house after he figured out my issue and connected to my Verizon Hotspot, it was faster than my desktop was at home hooked up to high speed Comcast internet!

Here at the RV park it is nowhere near as fast, mainly due to the cell tower not being very close, but still way faster than the RV park's wifi.

I am using it right now and is excellent for email, chats and Facebook stuff!