What was that Noise

imchud

A quick question... last night I got up to use the restroom (about 3:00am) I heard what I thought was the Air conditioning coming on but no air was blowing from the vents... I went and listened and it sounded like the compressor was turning on with out the blower running??? It lasted about a minute, then i heard a exhaust sound like a quick woosh noise then it stopped..... At about 9:00am it did it again but right after the air conditioner came on.?.. Could it have been a dethawing mode? could it have been a dethawing mode on the frig?? Everything seems to be working great I just can't figured what that noise was all about or if it was coming from the A/C or the Frig... if it was a dethawing from the AC, wouldn't it have to be running first then go into a thawing mode, hope you can help, thanks...

Tom

Trillium

Do not run your Air Conditioner or damage to compressor could result. It sounds as if your fan motor is not working when cooling starts. What happens is that the compressor when running has a high and low pressure side. The fan motor is a double shaft motor, so you have a fan blade on one side of the shaft blowing air into your trailer and a fan blade on the other side of the shaft blowing the hot air outside from the condenser on the roof of your trailer. If the fan is not turning, what happens is that the pressure on the high pressure side of the compressor continues to build to unacceptable levels. Inside the compressor is an internal relief valve which will open and bypass freon into the low pressure side of the system to relieve this excessive pressure. When this happens this is the hissing noise you hear. If allowed to continue the compressor will overheat and the relief may not reseat itself resulting in your having to replace compressor or complete AC unit.

In either case the unit should be under warrenty judging by your year on the trailer.

imchud

Do not run your Air Conditioner or damage to compressor could result. It sounds as if your fan motor is not working when cooling starts. What happens is that the compressor when running has a high and low pressure side. The fan motor is a double shaft motor, so you have a fan blade on one side of the shaft blowing air into your trailer and a fan blade on the other side of the shaft blowing the hot air outside from the condenser on the roof of your trailer. If the fan is not turning, what happens is that the pressure on the high pressure side of the compressor continues to build to unacceptable levels. Inside the compressor is an internal relief valve which will open and bypass freon into the low pressure side of the system to relieve this excessive pressure. When this happens this is the hissing noise you hear. If allowed to continue the compressor will overheat and the relief may not reseat itself resulting in your having to replace compressor or complete AC unit.
In either case the unit should be under warrenty judging by your year on the trailer.

Thank you, I will have the dealer look into it this next week, I also have a few other small issues for them to look into...

imchud

What was that Noise #2

the noise is confirmed, (i'm thick sometimes) It is the compressor, it won't shut down, it started out coming on without the blower, but soon after the blower would come on... Now as of today the compressor won't shut down? I hit the off switch and it keeps running I even fliped off the breaker and it still won't shut down????? I'm not sure how to turn the thing off... I think the whole things is fried??