Warranty Expectations...New to Heartland

HHR

We purchased a Big Horn about 4 mos ago out of town because the floor plan and colors where not available in our state. We just took our 5th Wheel to the local Heartland Dealer for some Warranty work and they just called us telling us we would have to pay a diagnostic fee. One of the items they are wanting to charge us for is we noticed the first time that we where using the black clean-out it was leaking all over the ground. They want to charge us a fee to hook up hose to RV to check the leaking.

I've owned 5 new RVs, but all other brands and I have NEVER had anyone tell us we had to pay a diagnostic fee when under warranty. Is this dealership just trying to get some $$ because we did not purchase from them?

danemayer

Hi HHR,

You should NOT have to pay for anything covered under warranty. But at the same time, unlike the way warranties work on cars and trucks, RV dealers are only contractually obligated to do warranty work on RVs they sell.

I'd suggest you call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. You can discuss the situation with them and perhaps they can steer you to another authorized repair location. With prior approval, you can use non-Heartland dealers, independent servicers, and mobile services. On mobile service, you will be responsible for travel time charges, but that's often less than the cost of hauling the RV.

If there's an independent service shop near you, you'll also likely find their turnaround time to be much shorter because the service techs aren't being diverted to support sales.

Last edited:

'Lil Guy'

Could you be more specific as to where the leak was? Was it the drain valve where you hook up the sewer hose or was it at the hose connection in the UDC?

GETnBYE

We purchased a Big Horn about 4 mos ago out of town because the floor plan and colors where not available in our state. We just took our 5th Wheel to the local Heartland Dealer for some Warranty work and they just called us telling us we would have to pay a diagnostic fee. One of the items they are wanting to charge us for is we noticed the first time that we where using the black clean-out it was leaking all over the ground. They want to charge us a fee to hook up hose to RV to check the leaking.

I've owned 5 new RVs, but all other brands and I have NEVER had anyone tell us we had to pay a diagnostic fee when under warranty. Is this dealership just trying to get some $$ because we did not purchase from them?

That’s exactly what they are trying to do, along with not trying to gain a future customer. Do thy really think that if they shake you down on warranty work that you would ever hire them for work you may need after warranty or even consider buying a new unit from them?
We have dealt with both kinds of dealers, the ones making good “possible” future customers and the others that must not plan on being in business to Long.
it takes some looking and investigating to find the good ones. They are there, but I think the Easter bunny hid them. Look under ever rock. Ask around, read reviews.
And most of all good luck.

richheck

Seasoned Member
Purchased a 2017 LM 365 Arlington Back in March of 16 from a dealer in Ohio. We reside in Central California so returning to the dealer for service work is out of the question. Heartland has been fantastic with my warranty work and allows me to use a local Mobil technician when necessary. Heartland has also sent me any parts needed (some even overnight) with just a phone call request. This is my 9th RV and first from Heartland, Heartland has been the best to work with for warranty work period.

DickO

Our Bighorn was only a month old when we had some problems. I called Heartland and they sent us to a repair shop 4 1/2 hours away because one of the problems was stress cracks in the shower. Had a dealer thirty minutes from our home. Never got the shower fixed but other things were fixed but Heartland stuck us with $285 they would NOT pay for warranty work. Will never buy from Heartland again.

DaveTyler

Our Bighorn was only a month old when we had some problems. I called Heartland and they sent us to a repair shop 4 1/2 hours away because one of the problems was stress cracks in the shower. Had a dealer thirty minutes from our home. Never got the shower fixed but other things were fixed but Heartland stuck us with $285 they would NOT pay for warranty work. Will never buy from Heartland again.

My first trip in my BigHorn. Went to flush black tank and water came pouring out the bottom. Behind basement wall. We emptied basement out and turned flush on. Water came out where one end was not crimped. Used pex fitting. Once put the crimp on. Was fixed. You just have end not crimped. No big deal. Hope this helps. Your lucky if only problems you have. Good luck. Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NYSUPstater

danemayer, I hear what your saying about dealers not wanting to fix what they didn't sell, cuz that happened to us last year w/ our new BC. Bought out of state, problem noticed w/ 1 slide and "new" local BC dealer wouldn't touch it. Took it to another "new" local BH dealer who not only made a temp repair after contacting HL, they set it up where there sister location would do more permanent fix 1.25 hours away. Totally blown away by this. Once coach is outta warranty, I'm sure local dealer wouldn't have any problem working the unit, albeit at bottom of pile, which here again is BS as well.

Now here in lies my question/problem w/ all this. Say you live in NY and staying in TX w/ your RV. A problem develops w/it and local dealer won't touch it cuz you didn't buy from them. This is total BS!! Now same case only pertaining to a truck. Bought in NY, but in TX. Problem crops up. Does local dealer says your outta luck cuz he didn't sell it to you? Auto dealers IMO, don't seem to have the same attitude as RV dealers if from outta town. IMO, shouldn't make a bit of difference where you bought it when it come to warranty work if they are a dealer for "X" brand. Would seem to me that a dealer would go outta there way to help a out of towner or even a local as that may translate into a future sale. Again, MO.

Once my coach is outta warranty, going to use our old RV dealer for repairs even if app't is needed. However, I may not get helped right away if last minute prob happens cuz we didn't buy from them as they would in past, then again, they just might. Hard to figure. In fact, will be making an app't soon for end of April for inspection (required in NY) at old dealer. They've always been pretty fair and very good w/repairs to old coach and accommodating. They just don't sell brand we wanted.

Lynn1130

You don't have to use your purchase dealer, or even a dealer. If you are under warranty ask Heartland for repair shops in your area that they approve or find one you like and ask Heartland for approval. I used my dealer once, and never went back. I used a local repair that Heartland approved for repairs. On top of that most of the appliances and add ons in the trailer have their own warranties and most all RV repair shops are authorized to repair them.

So if you are in Texas, find a local repair shop and get it authorized. RV dealers generally sell several brands. They, unlike a GM dealer, have no loyalty to any one brands. They just sell.

DaveTyler

NYSUP, All feel for you because having been there. As mentioned by others Heartland will approve warranty repairs by even Mobile repair guys. Most of these guys are good and not all thieves. Heartland will also send you parts if a do it yourself type. All brands have the same problem. You get on the forum and post your problem and someone knows how to fix it. Dan Mayer and others and if you read the manuals too. We all have been there. Go to a rally and take your list. Help others and they will help you. You get to West Texas, stop by. I am $5.00 cheaper than local park. However do not take Good Sams. Good luck! Dave

danemayer

Now here in lies my question/problem w/ all this. Say you live in NY and staying in TX w/ your RV. A problem develops w/it and local dealer won't touch it cuz you didn't buy from them. This is total BS!! Now same case only pertaining to a truck. Bought in NY, but in TX. Problem crops up. Does local dealer says your outta luck cuz he didn't sell it to you? Auto dealers IMO, don't seem to have the same attitude as RV dealers if from outta town. IMO, shouldn't make a bit of difference where you bought it when it come to warranty work if they are a dealer for "X" brand. Would seem to me that a dealer would go outta there way to help a out of towner or even a local as that may translate into a future sale. Again, MO.

What do you do when traveling? When I was shopping RVs I talked to some dealers about this and was told by several dealers that for travelers away from home, they would handle emergency situations. But for routine repairs that could wait, they would not prioritize that work ahead of their customers.

The other approach when traveling is to use independents and mobile servicers. I've very appreciative of Heartland's support for this. Not every company does so.