Cleaning the dryer vent area

cbramsey

When we has our last stick and brick, one thing I did on a periodic basis was to clean out the excess lint out of the dryer vent to minimize the risk of fire.

Do I just remove a couple of screws on the vent shown and clean out this vent?

Attachments

• IMG_4024.jpg
    IMG_4024.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 44

MCTalley

Looks like ours (two screws near the two bottom corners?). If so, then that's what I do, remove the outer hood and clean in and around the flap opening as well as the inside of the hood.

rxbristol

You'd be better off to remove the dryer to clean out the vent for two reasons. First, you'll have to break the seal and reseal the exterior vent cover. Second, the interior case of the dyer fills with lint. I had to replace the high-limit switch on the dryer this year and while I had the dryer apart I cleaned out enough lint to build a small blanket. Granted the dryer had not been cleaned for four years, but now it's on a yearly schedule.

MCTalley

You'd be better off to remove the dryer to clean out the vent for two reasons. First, you'll have to break the seal and reseal the exterior vent cover. Second, the interior case of the dyer fills with lint. I had to replace the high-limit switch on the dryer this year and while I had the dryer apart I cleaned out enough lint to build a small blanket. Granted the dryer had not been cleaned for four years, but now it's on a yearly schedule.

I was going to say, might be worthwhile to clean out the hose down to the dryer outlet, as well (I do that occasionally).

I installed my own dryer vent and only sealed the actual through piece (outside). The hood cover just clips over the top of that piece and screws down at the bottom. I didn't see where sealing around the hood would gain me anything. Not to say that factory installations are not sealed around the top of the hood, though.

rxbristol

I was going to say, might be worthwhile to clean out the hose down to the dryer outlet, as well (I do that occasionally).

I installed my own dryer vent and only sealed the actual through piece (outside). The hood cover just clips over the top of that piece and screws down at the bottom. I didn't see where sealing around the hood would gain me anything. Not to say that factory installations are not sealed around the top of the hood, though.

Good to know. My vent was installed at the dealership and they sealed the top cover.

Gerri

When we has our last stick and brick, one thing I did on a periodic basis was to clean out the excess lint out of the dryer vent to minimize the risk of fire.

Do I just remove a couple of screws on the vent shown and clean out this vent?

I will only clean dryer vent when on location doing carpet or vent cleaning ( no price given , we will quote once we see).

Really depends on how long the dryer venting run is and how accessible.

Loads of main floor laundry rooms up my way in tight areas. Hard to pull out dryer and clean from wall to outdoors.

I think yes,just clean out it!

Last edited: