Generator Purchase

Dan54

I'm trying to get a handle on how a generator would work with my 2011 Landmark Grand Canyon. If I buy a generator would I have the option of tying it into the electrical system so I could start it up & it would power up the 120 volt system or is the most common scenario when firing it up just run extension cords to the appliances you want to run? What size generator should I consider? Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

danemayer

Hi Dan54,

The easiest way to connect would be to use your shore power cord with a suitable adapter to connect to the generator. All 120V AC devices in the coach would then have power available from the generator. But it's up to you to manage the power consumption so you don't overload the generator.

The size of the generator depends on what you expect to run. Some people use a single 2,000 watt inverter type generator. Others run a pair of those connected together. Still others might have a single 3,000 watt generator. All these choices provide much less power than the total 12,000 watts that you'd get from a 50 amp shore power connection. So it all depends on what you want to run and how much power those devices use. Keep in mind that you'll have a hidden load from the Power Converter that supplies 12V DC to the lights and keeps the battery charged. It can use 1-2 amps (120-240 watts) most of the time, but may draw significantly more for short periods.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
As usual Dan gives good advice. Another thing to consider is what situation do you plan to use it the most? There could be a huge difference in what you purchase if you only need it to keep some items operational while boon docking compared to wanting to use everything at a NASCAR race. We have the dual Honda 2000 set up for ease of use as well as each are easy to handle and store weight wise.

Dan54

As usual Dan gives good advice. Another thing to consider is what situation do you plan to use it the most? There could be a huge difference in what you purchase if you only need it to keep some items operational while boon docking compared to wanting to use everything at a NASCAR race. We have the dual Honda 2000 set up for ease of use as well as each are easy to handle and store weight wise.

Thanks for the replies Dane & Shortest. I would like to be able to run most devices with the generator except A/C, microwave. Water heater & Fridg I would just switch to LP. So interior lights, tv & receiver, outlets for coffee maker & toaster, water pump, ceiling fans. Anything else? I'm not sure what's realistic & we can certainly adapt to limitations but since I'm buying a new generator I want to get one with as much capacity as possible. Will not be doing any big events, just want to be able for 2 or 4 of us to be as comfortable as possible if we camp primitive, or suffer a power failure.

danemayer

Thanks for the replies Dane & Shortest. I would like to be able to run most devices with the generator except A/C, microwave. Water heater & Fridg I would just switch to LP. So interior lights, tv & receiver, outlets for coffee maker & toaster, water pump, ceiling fans. Anything else? I'm not sure what's realistic & we can certainly adapt to limitations but since I'm buying a new generator I want to get one with as much capacity as possible. Will not be doing any big events, just want to be able for 2 or 4 of us to be as comfortable as possible if we camp primitive, or suffer a power failure.

The coffee maker and toaster each probably pull as much as 1500 watts, so you don't want to run them at the same time or you'll need a bigger generator. TV and (satellite) receiver together might take a few hundred watts.

A 2,000 watt inverter generator would probably do everything you need.

If you run into trouble with the coffee pot and toaster running, you could always heat water on the propane stove and use a drip coffee maker. You can also save the toaster if need be by getting a campfire toast stand to sit on the gas range.

RoadJunkie

I was just at Costco and they have Yamaha 2000 generators for $499. I just glanced at them, but I think you can "gang" two together. I too use the two Honda 2000 system. You may also want to check out the RYOBI 2300 w/bluetooth. Two units with connection box is about $1200.

shelsay

When we bought our Grand Canyon, we moved the generator from our prior unit. It is an Onan propane 3600. When we purchased it we were told it would run one A/C and the microwave or the microwave and everything else but the A/C. I don't think we've ever tried the A/C plus microwave so can't verify that. We don't use it often, but it's sure nice to have when we need it.

Pat

Dan54

When we bought our Grand Canyon, we moved the generator from our prior unit. It is an Onan propane 3600. When we purchased it we were told it would run one A/C and the microwave or the microwave and everything else but the A/C. I don't think we've ever tried the A/C plus microwave so can't verify that. We don't use it often, but it's sure nice to have when we need it.

Pat

Do they still make Onan's? 3600 watts? I like the idea of propane, is that the most common on an RV? Better than worrying about gasoline.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Do they still make Onan's? 3600 watts? I like the idea of propane, is that the most common on an RV? Better than worrying about gasoline.

Gasoline is not a worry from our experience. Although I can see the convenience of not needing to carry a gas can all the time. In our travels we have found that we have to travel further to get propane than gas. The last three RV parks we have stayed at do not have propane. Where we are now we have to go 15 miles to get propane and 1 mile to get gas. Our honda's need to be filled about every 6-8 hours when running full rpm. When they are running on low idle maybe once a day.

danemayer

Your 2011 Grand Canyon should be able to fit an Onan 5500 or larger propane generator in the front compartment. If your rig came with the generator prep option, installation will be simpler.

An Onan 5500 would allow you to run air conditioners along with nearly everything else in your coach. And as a backup against power outages, it's a very good solution.

The propane models have some great advantages over gas and diesel, but given that your rig has two 40# propane tanks, generator run time has to be considered if you plan on boon docking. Even at 1/2 load, the generator may consume an entire propane tank in 18 hours or less. So if you plan on running the generator for 6 hours max per day, the most you could plan on while boon docking would be 6 days of run time - possibly less