Carry Out G2 vs Tripod Mounted Satellite dish

txfnp12

I currently have a Carry Out G2 connected to DirecTV that transmits in standard definition only. I went with this option as I have DirecTV at home. I've gotten spoiled to TV in HD at home and now would like that as well in the RV. My questions are: Has anyone had a combo of Carryout G2 with Dish Network? Is the picture quality worth the upgrade? Does the signal lag at all while changing channels? I might consider switching to Dish, since I don't have a contract obligation with DirecTV. How difficult is it to tune in a tripod mounted satellite if I decided to keep DirecTV? I've seen others at the campground struggle with theirs, does a meter, such as the BirdDog, make it a quick set up after practice? Is there another meter that is better? And insight is appreciated.

NewHopians

I currently have a Carry Out G2 connected to DirecTV that transmits in standard definition only. I went with this option as I have DirecTV at home. I've gotten spoiled to TV in HD at home and now would like that as well in the RV. My questions are: Has anyone had a combo of Carryout G2 with Dish Network? Is the picture quality worth the upgrade? Does the signal lag at all while changing channels? I might consider switching to Dish, since I don't have a contract obligation with DirecTV. How difficult is it to tune in a tripod mounted satellite if I decided to keep DirecTV? I've seen others at the campground struggle with theirs, does a meter, such as the BirdDog, make it a quick set up after practice? Is there another meter that is better? And insight is appreciated.

We have the G2 and love it. We went to Direct TV for a better price. But, DTV told me my G2 would work. Then I found out DTV will not send in the HD signal to it. I have Dish for my RV and love it. The pictures are always good and I get a full screen. Never use DTV again.

RickL

I use a tripod. It takes me about 15-20 minutes to set it up. Yes I have spent upwards of 40 minutes but that was early and I think as I continue to do it and find better ways to get the correct headings I can do it quicker. I use my phone’s compass but have found that if I use my iPad the compass’s don’t match a lot of the time. I haven’t used and actual compass yet but I have one now for the next time I setup the dish.

I’m too cheap to spend for Traveller or the carry out.

DougS

Doug S
We switched from Direct TV to Dish a year ago and there is a major improvement in the picture. We have one of the original Carryouts so we were able to switch to Dish just by changing some DIP switches. The dish is mounted on the back ladder so we can move it to get clear sky. We average moving the dish three times a year.

txfnp12

Is there any excessive lag time changing channels using a Carryout with DISH? I had seen that mentioned as a negative. I also read that if you have two receivers connected, you have to watch programs that are on the same satellite, but thats not a deal breaker though. I also have the Carryout that has the DIP switches.

Lynn1130

I have Direct at home and did not like the idea of not having HD so went with the DISH carryout and receiver. There is no lag that I have noticed. They are very easy to set up. Find a location with open sky to the south and set it down. It does the work from there. I could have gone with the dual but did not really need that. There are too many locations with tree cover to use a roof mounted unit.

Garypowell

We started with tripod single LNB but it was frustrating. Since we worked on the road and moved 2+ times a week it became too much so we went with Winegard auto system until it broke. It was great for about 6 years or so.

Then EM we tried to go back to tripod system with 3 LNB’s and again I proved I did not have the touch.

So we got a G2.

All ll this time on Directv. We flirted with Dish but when we found out we could not see in the bedroom what was recorded in the living room.....we decided against it.

My only suggestion is don’t buy more system than your tv can use. Don’t know your tv but if it is only SD then having HD won’t help.

rjr6150

We have the G2 using a Wally receiver with Dish no issues here. Never noticed lag time when changing satellites either.