FYI-True Induction Cooktop Power

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Hi,
We just had to replace our True Induction cook top because it wouldn't heat up as much as it should and its out of warranty. We had only used it a few times. After contacting the company and going through a fairly long series of communications and frustrations, they informed us that the cook top is not supposed to have power power to it all the time. Seems kind of stupid for an appliance that is built in but that is what they said.

We found is strange that we had not been told that in the past so we went into the owners manual again.... In the back in very fine print it states that when the cooking function is finished the unit should be disconnected from power.

Mark is going to install a switch to control the cook top power when the new one arrives. In the meantime, we are on a trip with four weeks left and no stove. Oh well....

Kristy

PS If you have a different brand of induction stove, you might want to check the fine print. Who knows? It may have the same fine print.

Last edited:

Garypowell

I put in a True Induction 5 years ago and the print at that time was not that small. We love it but my belief was since the touch pad is so sensitive you can almost turn it on by looking at it.....they want it powered down to prevent accidents

I used a pnuematic garbage disposal switch as the master off/on.

jbeletti

Sorry to hear this Kristy. I hear you saying that the supplier is suggesting the power to the unit must be disconnected when not in use to prolong the life of the unit. This seems rather odd. Can you please attach a picture of the manual fine print that addresses this?

Gary - I think I hear you saying your understanding of why power to the unit should be disconnected is one of safety, should the cooktop controls be accidentally turned on. Do you still have the larger fine print that you could attach a picture of?

Thanks for providing additional insight on this so we can all learn from it.

Garypowell

Jim,

Here you go. In the "Instruction Manual", first page (Important Safety Information), Item #5 "Unplug from the outlet when not in use and before cleaning. Allow to cool before putting on or taking off parts."

I spent considerable time speaking to folks at True Induction before buying the unit. This fact of "unplugging" was never mentioned. I had planned all along to use the "garbage disposal switch" mainly since we have limited counter space and we did not want work on top of a live heat source.

I have also included a picture of the 5 year old cook top and the pneumatic switch on the face of the cabinetry.

Attachments

• Cook Top.jpg
    Cook Top.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 38
  • On.Off.jpg
    On.Off.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 42
  • Instruction Manual.jpg
    Instruction Manual.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 41

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Sorry to hear this Kristy. I hear you saying that the supplier is suggesting the power to the unit must be disconnected when not in use to prolong the life of the unit. This seems rather odd. Can you please attach a picture of the manual fine print that addresses this?

Gary - I think I hear you saying your understanding of why power to the unit should be disconnected is one of safety, should the cooktop controls be accidentally turned on. Do you still have the larger fine print that you could attach a picture of?

Thanks for providing additional insight on this so we can all learn from it.

Jim,
Here is the section of the manual.
264E5EF5-1B24-4A15-85B4-C56C91D1084A.jpg

I cant find the command to turn the photo so feel free to do it for
me if you would like. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator: