Another Generator Question

RossRagan

I recently purchased my first travel trailer and wanted to get a generator for use when camping in state/national parks without electrical. My initial plan was to purchase a Honda 2000 and see how that went and double it up with a second if I found it necessary. Well, I found a deal on a one year old Honda Eu3000i on craigslist (original owner used it this past winter for his icehouse) and I snatched it up. Now to my question...where do folks keep their generator when it is not in use if the travel trailer does not have a storage area for it? I planned to keep it in the backend of my F-150 but will need to replace my tonneau cover with a cap/topper because the 3000i is about an inch and a half too tall. Is it safe to run the generator setting on the tail gate if I go that route? The 150 lbs. wet is a bit much to be lifting in and out each time I want to fire it up. One option that I have considered is reselling the generator and reverting back to my original plan, but this 3000 is just one sweet generator.

Piperflyer

My Honda 3000 is stored in front of my 5th wheel hitch. I still can close my tonneau cover, but you see a small spot where the Honda's Tank Cap pushes on the cover. The only draw back to this is, if I stayed hooked to the 5th wheel I can't reach the generator with the power cord (to short). I had to buy a separate 15' 50 amp cord to make the connection if I go that route. You could always store and run the generator on the back of your trailer if you have a strong enough platform for it on your bumper.
Remember to make sure their aren't any exhaust fumes entering you rig with the generator so close while running.

EWG

Consider a couple of things before mounting on the front or rear of your trailer. 1), make sure you don't excede your tongue weight. 2), on the rear square bumper, make sure it can handle the weight. Heartland will give you the weight limatations for the rear bumper for your model. Mine can only handle 100 lbs. I was told not to put even a bike rack on it. (It is a light weight trailer).

RossRagan

Thanks for your responses. I solved the problem by purchasing a cap/topper for my truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wdk450

Find a way to bolt it down with anti-theft bolts, or use an anti theft chain and lock like they have for motorcycles. These generators are easy to sell for the thieves that see them and go after them. A pin pull "Screamer" alarm might be a good idea, too.

RossRagan

Find a way to bolt it down with anti-theft bolts, or use an anti theft chain and lock like they have for motorcycles. These generators are easy to sell for the thieves that see them and go after them. A pin pull "Screamer" alarm might be a good idea, too.

Sound advice and I had been thinking about that. The truck box has features built in to the inside walls that I can lock the generator on to so I was thinking about a heavy duty cable and lock on each end of the generator.