Verizon No-Contract, Month-to-Month EVDO data service

AlexSian

Mobile Broadband Consultant
From a press release this morning:

No Contract Required - New Month-to-Month Agreement Gives Verizon Wireless Customers Even More Freedom
Monday September 22, 10:00 am ET
BASKING RIDGE, N.J., Sept. 22 -- Beginning today, Verizon Wireless customers who want to enjoy the best customer experience in wireless, but don't want to sign a one- or two-year customer agreement have a month-to-month option. The new Month-to-Month agreement is an extension of the company's overall commitment to delivering its customers quality products and services over the nation's most reliable wireless network, while providing the industry's best customer service.Verizon Wireless' new Month-to-Month agreement gives customers the freedom to purchase new devices at full-retail price, or use their own CDMA devices without the commitment of a one- or two-year contract. Additionally customers can terminate their agreement at the end of any month without paying an Early Termination Fee.
The company's Month-to-Month agreement is now available on all Nationwide Voice and Data plans for both new and current contract customers. Current contract customers must fulfill the terms of their current contract before moving to a Month-to-Month agreement.

Pulltab

Is it the same monthly charge? What about those already locked into a contract? Can they change?

AlexSian

Is it the same monthly charge? What about those already locked into a contract? Can they change?
same monthly rates, yes. for the data devices like usb727/etc. -- $59.99/mo for 5GB with overage charges.

those locked into a contract can't change because they were given discounted devices based on contract term.

of course, they could cancel those contracts and pay the ETF, but for most, that wouldn't be in their best interest.

sasha_j

Does the Verizon software have a usage meter to monitor the 5 gig limit? We have Sprint right now but are out of contract and like the idea of Month-to-Month.

boatdoc

So if I get my hands on a U727 I'm good to go on a monthly basis? I can go South for the winter and just pay PER month, then stop when we're back at the stick built?
Thanks

AlexSian

So if I get my hands on a U727 I'm good to go on a monthly basis? I can go South for the winter and just pay PER month, then stop when we're back at the stick built?
i understand your disbelief. reminds me of when apple decided to use intel processors.

yes, you are entirely correct. pigs can fly.

OK. no. not entirely correct. it would be a USB727. the U727 is for sprint.

AlexSian

Do they offer the "unlimited" rather than the 5 gig limit on a month to month?
verizon's 59.99/mo is not "limited" though it comes with overage charges:

http://www.EVDOinfo.com/overage

through what appears to be collusion*, there is no longer any carrier offering new service that is "unlimited" for a fixed rate.

*i am not a lawyer. collusion among carriers is not based on factual evidence. just the opinion of many who wonder how we've arrived at the same monthly rate, for the same limited service, across nearly all carriers.

vangoes

What would it take to go over the 5 gig limit? I am on the computer for several hours everyday monitoring stock market ticker tapes and market news. I do not download music but I do get movie clips sent to me via emails quite frequently. Would 5 gig cover this type of usage?
I talked to Sprint over the weekend and they no longer offer the unlimited plan. What was the word earlier....collusion....Hmmm, I wonder!!!!!!!!!

AlexSian

What would it take to go over the 5 gig limit? I am on the computer for several hours everyday monitoring stock market ticker tapes and market news. I do not download music but I do get movie clips sent to me via emails quite frequently. Would 5 gig cover this type of usage
no, 5GB is not likely going to be enough data per month for you.
the streaming stock ticker is very much like streaming video, and that adds up FAST.

for most others, 5GB is a lot of data: http://www.EVDOinfo.com/5GB

vangoes

Thanks Alex, thats what I thought. Beware of the sales reps at Sprint. On live chat with them they assured me that 5 gig would be enough for my usage. Anything to make a sale!!! Of course I did not sign up.

boatdoc

I was told when I spoke with 3gstore last week that 99.9% of us wouldn't come near the 5 gig limit. Maybe most people like the wife and I who just surf and check email are the 99.9%.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I am using the Sprint 595 PCMCIA card and have connected almost everywhere I have been. It may have been 1x and some EVDO. I have talked to some in campgrounds that had Verizon. The said they had EVDO and I had 1x. I check my bills on line, send email, read 2 or more forums, upload pictures to Photobucket, have watched the last quarter of the Dallas Cowboy game on Slingbox in Dallas TX, talked to my daughter on Skype Phone when AT&T Cell phone had no signal, visited with friends on MS IM live (instant message). Sprint cost $63.76 With Tax. My present usage is shown in the attachment. My previous months usage was a little over 2gig.

I like the idea of a month to month billing. In the future if I do not get a good EVDO with Sprint I will think about using Verizon for another internet source. The cost of having both of them would be less than having Satellite and most likely to cover me in the majority of locations. Of course the exception is off the beaten path in a National Forest or State Park.

Right now between my Sprint and Park WiFi's I am doing pretty good. Biggest problem was when we were in Canada for a month. No Cell, No TV, No WiFi in a couple of places..

Attachments

• Sprint Usage.jpg
    Sprint Usage.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 29

azbound

I don't seem to get it, when my contract ran out I migrated to a Month to Month agreement. So what has changed?

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I don't think it is a problem if you are already a Verizon Customer. However like me I could use their Internet without making a contract for 2 years. That would be good if I knew I was going to be in a place where Verizon was the stronger service.