Refigerator, On or off ?

campfire7

The refrigerator in our North Country has not been turned off in almost 2 years until resently, when we dropped the RV off at the dealer for some repairs, So my question is , is it better to leave the refrigerator on all of the time or best to turn it off when we are not using the RV? I am interested to hear what others do, On or Off?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The refrigerator in our North Country has not been turned off in almost 2 years until resently, when we dropped the RV off at the dealer for some repairs, So my question is , is it better to leave the refrigerator on all of the time or best to turn it off when we are not using the RV? I am interested to hear what others do, On or Off?

We turn ours on in early May when we park on our seasonal site and turn it off in late September when we put the rig in storage. We may be gone from the rig for a week or two several times during that time. After 10 seasons, it’s still running fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We leave ours hooked up to shore power year around, leave Refrigerator, on. Also leave air condition on 80 to keep humiduity down in unit. All is well.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
In our 2011 Landmark that we recently traded in, the fridge was never turned off for the 7 years that we owned it and lived in full time. It was never in storage and we always left it running on propane when traveling.

RoadJunkie

I do not know of any technical arguments, in either direction, of leaving refer on or turning it off; Anecdotal evidence exists for both scenarios. I figure that If you’re not supposed to turn the refer off, then they wouldn’t have included a power switch.

avvidclif

I have never turned off a fridge in any RV I've owned except the first one. After several months off it wouldn't work. This was in the old days when you had to remove it and turn it upside down to unblock the ammonia coolant. Once it was going again it never got turned off. I don't know about the newer ones and am not going to find out. On forever.

campfire7

Thanks everyone for the responces, The consensus is ON all the time. Thats pretty much what I was doing and this makes me fell better doing it.

sengli

I am surprised by the responses. We are anytime campers, usually use ours like 6 weeks a year. I have never left our fridge on when not in use.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I am surprised by the responses. We are anytime campers, usually use ours like 6 weeks a year. I have never left our fridge on when not in use.

We do the same. Unless we are going to be camping multiple weekends in a row, we turn ours off and leave doors open to circulate air after every outing.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Ours is on 24/7 unless the rig’s been winterized

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alan_B

...we turn ours off and leave doors open to circulate air after every outing.

ditto

Our present Big Horn has a residential fridge. Before that we had gas absorption refrigerators in travel trailers. We turned them off after each camping trip and propped the doors open to air out.