AC concerns - 65 coming out of AC but feels humid inside

Hello, not sure if I'm doing this right but here goes. We have a 2014 Bighorn Silverado with the kitchen in the back. we gutted the ground floor of our house and are living in the camper. We have had plenty of issues but I will just address the AC Question here. If you have never taken the plastic cover off the AC unit to clean the unit (the outside cover on the roof) can you tell if it is clogged or dirty without taking the cover off? Having a cuss-cussion about it. I don't think it is cooling properly. The air is 65 degrees coming out of the unit and it is humid in the camper. Thanks for your help. The dogs and cats thank you too!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

carl.swoyer

Hello, not sure if I'm doing this right but here goes. We have a 2014 Bighorn Silverado with the kitchen in the back. we gutted the ground floor of our house and are living in the camper. We have had plenty of issues but I will just address the AC Question here. If you have never taken the plastic cover off the AC unit to clean the unit (the outside cover on the roof) can you tell if it is clogged or dirty without taking the cover off? Having a cuss-cussion about it. I don't think it is cooling properly. The air is 65 degrees coming out of the unit and it is humid in the camper. Thanks for your help. The dogs and cats thank you too!!!
Sounds like your mixing hot and cold air. You might want to check the hot and cold air return at the ac. You can inspect it by opening the panel on the roof top and make sure the hot/cold air is completely separate from each other.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Sounds like your mixing hot and cold air. You might want to check the hot and cold air return at the ac. You can inspect it by opening the panel on the roof top and make sure the hot/cold air is completely separate from each other.

What will I see up there to tell me if it is mixing? I don't know what I will be looking for.
thanks

carl.swoyer

What will I see up there to tell me if it is mixing? I don't know what I will be looking for.
thanks
In the center of the AC unit the return air comes in on one side and the cold air goes out the other side. You should be able to see the divider in the middle. Look for leaks and or unsealed sections of the mixing box.. Sometimes you need to add aluminum ac tape and possibly weather seals to prevent the mixing of the hot and cold air.
You have to remove the AC cover the open the panel that covers the hot and cold air return.

wdk450

Most often this mixing of inflow and outflow air happens in the box BELOW the rooftop air conditioner, accessible by removing the plastic inside grill cover by removing the filter, removing the screws under the filter cover, and removing the 2 other grille screws under plastic caps on the outlet side of the grille. Use metal duct sealing tape (not regular plastic duct tape) to seal all surfaces contacting the air flow on the intake side for your humidity problem, and on the outflow side (into the ductwork) to prevent cold air loss through leaks.

Also, in any appreciable humidity, you should see a puddle of water on the roof around the AC roof shroud after running the air conditioning an hour or more. There are several drip holes for the excess condensation in the metal base of the AC for this. These can get plugged with dirt and debris, so it might be worthwhile to remove the 4 cover screws and inspect (and maybe clean out) the interior of the AC unit. I drilled additional drip holes into the corners of the base unit on mine because of the possibility of other holes being clogged, or inability to exactly level the rig. I normally see condensation water dripping off of one of my corner gutter extensions when the AC has been running for a while, and a larger gush stream of water there when the AC thermostat shuts it down; as the air fans suction in the AC tend to hold some of the condensation in the AC bottom pan until the fans turn off.

carl.swoyer

Most often this mixing of inflow and outflow air happens in the box BELOW the rooftop air conditioner, accessible by removing the plastic inside grill cover by removing the filter, removing the screws under the filter cover, and removing the 2 other grille screws under plastic caps on the outlet side of the grille. Use metal duct sealing tape (not regular plastic duct tape) to seal all surfaces contacting the air flow on the intake side for your humidity problem, and on the outflow side (into the ductwork) to prevent cold air loss through leaks.

Also, in any appreciable humidity, you should see a puddle of water on the roof around the AC roof shroud after running the air conditioning an hour or more. There are several drip holes for the excess condensation in the metal base of the AC for this. These can get plugged with dirt and debris, so it might be worthwhile to remove the 4 cover screws and inspect (and maybe clean out) the interior of the AC unit. I drilled additional drip holes into the corners of the base unit on mine because of the possibility of other holes being clogged, or inability to exactly level the rig. I normally see condensation water dripping off of one of my corner gutter extensions when the AC has been running for a while, and a larger gush stream of water there when the AC thermostat shuts it down; as the air fans suction in the AC tend to hold some of the condensation in the AC bottom pan until the fans turn off.
Mixing of hot and cold below the rooftop is true unless you have ducted ac such as the brisk air.
Depending on which set up you have your application and trouble shooting may differ. Good luck