Do i need to replace plastic external vent also with new Sharp Convection Combo?

TJ_Mac

Hello All. I have a safety question. Do I need to replace the outside vent hood (plastic) with a metal one when I replace the old microwave with a Sharp convection combo? The Sharp manual says the vent needs a metal duct and the outside needs a metal hood/damper.

Thanks, TJ

Bighorn 2011 39' w Ford 2008 F350

jerryjay11

If part of that combo unit is using an electric element to heat, I will suggest you follow the mfg recommendations. The exhaust with the electric heating element is much hotter than a standard MW would produce. So I would change it or get better RV insurance.

porthole

Retired
Hello All. I have a safety question. Do I need to replace the outside vent hood (plastic) with a metal one when I replace the old microwave with a Sharp convection combo? The Sharp manual says the vent needs a metal duct and the outside needs a metal hood/damper.

Thanks, TJ

Bighorn 2011 39' w Ford 2008 F350

Is the manual referring to the exhaust of the microwave requirement?
Does the micro you are looking at have a "over the range" hood?

On our Cyclone, the outside plastic vent was only for use with the microwave's range hood fan. Heat generated by the microwave itself vented through the frame of the cabinet above the micro.