Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: RESOLVED: Verizon MiFi is slow when streaming

1. Print this Post   #11

Re: verizon mifi users...

We have the Verizon Unlimited plan with 2 smart phones and the new Jetpack. I was told the Jetpack has up to 15 Gb before hitting the throttle threshold, and each phone has up to 22 Gb before said threshold.

The only time we use either phone on our Jetpack is for security purposes. The Jetpack is dedicated to Chromecasting, printer, 1 laptop, and 2 occasional use tablets.

2. Print this Post   #12

Throughput on any device like a Jetpack or Wisp Router, etc. is going to depend on 1) throughput of the external connection to the internet, 2) throughput of the local WiFi generated by the device, and 3) the throughput from the external connection to the local WiFi.

I think the 5510 is barely ok on 1, barely ok on 2, and less than ok on 3.

Dan and Ann Mayer & fur baby Callie the Rally Dog
    2011 Landmark Rushmore
    • MorRyde 8K Independent Suspension
    • 8K Kodiak Disc Brakes
    • RV Comfort Systems Cheap Heat
    • MorRyde 33x90 Sliding Cargo Tray
    • Torklift Glowstep Revolution Aluminum Steps & Dirt Destroyer

2014 RAM 3500 Laramie
    • Cummins 6.7 Diesel, AISIN Transmission
    • 4x4, Long box, Crew Cab, DRW 3.73
    • Hensley BD3 TrailerSaver Hitch
    • Garmin RV760 GPS

Is club membership right for you? Click here to learn more

Check out our Owner-written User Guides and Troubleshooting Guides

3. Print this Post   #13

Yeah LBR I think VZ up the throttle point 5 GB sometime after our plan conception years ago. I should check to see if anything changed when I upgraded to the unlimited plan.

Jim, I have seen what you're referring to as we tour. I will stop at VZ and see what they say and maybe look at a Jetpack upgrade.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    http://udsresort.blogspot.com/

HOC #3586

2015 Bighorn M-3875FB on a MountainMaster air ride hitch
    2002 Silverado LT 3500 4x4 CC, DRW , 6.6L Turbodiesel with Banks PowerPack bundle and exhaust brake upgrade

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely!

4. Print this Post   #14
    Prolifically Gabby Member JohnDar's Avatar

We use the 5510 in the trailer and it seems to be OK. Two laptops and a printer, sometimes our iPads (not all at once). Since we canít use our Dish set up due to the trees, we still can see our few favorite programs using the MiFi and laptop hooked to the TV with a HDMI cable. The only OTA stations that donít pixelate are PBS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Camp Gotchurwallett
    John & Darlene (with feline fuzzbutts Ally, Merlin & Mickey)
    Max the Cat - RIP
    2009 GMC 3500HD SLT CC D/A DRW
    2009 Bighorn 3670RL

H.O.C. #1225

5. Print this Post   #15
    Caught In A Mosh

We had the older Jetpack and had issues with it. They sent us a new one and our issues went away. Our Jetpack is set up for our "office" network including the printer. We have had both laptops working on the jetpack with one bar of signal strength. We also have the At&t netgear version. When we are in an area that has good signal strength the netgear works better than the jetpack IMO. We use it for our netflix mostly and I use it for my laptop when the jetpack speeds are slow. One thing I like about the Netgear is that it has an Ethernet port so you can hook up to it directly and then it is really fast. We do that with our Wally to play on demand movies.

Mike & Anna McKenzie
    Heidi the water dog.
    2017 F350
    2017 Big Country 4011 ERD

You do not need everything to enjoy life. You already have life, enjoy everything.

2015: CO Camp-out, CO Fall Rally
    2016: West TX Rally, CO Spring Rally, CO Fall Rally, Las Vegas National Rally
    2017: KY Rally, CO Fall Rally
    2018: LA Rally, N Central Regional Rally, IA Rally
    2019: W TX Rally

6. Print this Post   #16
    Movin' on to the next thing... JohnD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LBR View Post
    We have the Verizon Unlimited plan with 2 smart phones and the new Jetpack. I was told the Jetpack has up to 15 Gb before hitting the throttle threshold, and each phone has up to 22 Gb before said threshold.

The only time we use either phone on our Jetpack is for security purposes. The Jetpack is dedicated to Chromecasting, printer, 1 laptop, and 2 occasional use tablets.
    It is 15GB for the Mifi and 2GB for each phone.

I was told 22GB at a Verizon store for the phone, but found that to not be true.

They have a new plan, which I just got for $10 more per month (not sure what they call it) that gives 20GB before throttle down to 3G speeds instead of 'snail speed' like the 'Beyond Unlimited' plan is.
    Yuma AZ

Heartland Prowler RV Owners Facebook Page
    -------No Prowler Needed To Join! ^ CLICK HERE! ^

----Where my Heartland's have been:

7. Print this Post   #17

I do lots of setups for construction and filed based companies - as well as remote homes an cellular internet backup solutions - I have large accounts with all 3 major carriers- att, sprint and verizion - verizion throttling varies across plans and hotspots especially - almost all hotpot devices will themselves reduce or disconnect - also the towers will kick off connections that are intermittent - you need specialty devices for constant connectivity- like streaming or remote sessions- the radios are more like e phones and will keep constant a higher speed connection- often faster than phones with some of the newest modems- verizion has different plans on the business side that have higer data at decent cost - take look a cradlepoint and similar devices
    2017 bighorn 3760

8. Print this Post   #18

Just an update. Went in and talked with VZ and for no charge they swapped out the SIM card which seems to have made the difference.

They also told me NOT to tether to phones for streaming large files and videos as it will eventually kill the phones. Didn't know that. The Jetpack has 15 GB before throttle, and the phones each have 22. Will only throttle in congested areas (airports, etc.) if over the throttle point and others on system who are not. That's their story anyway.

http://udsresort.blogspot.com/

HOC #3586

2015 Bighorn M-3875FB on a MountainMaster air ride hitch
    2002 Silverado LT 3500 4x4 CC, DRW , 6.6L Turbodiesel with Banks PowerPack bundle and exhaust brake upgrade

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely!

9. Print this Post   #19

Quote Originally Posted by uncledon View Post
    Just an update. Went in and talked with VZ and for no charge they swapped out the SIM card which seems to have made the difference.

They also told me NOT to tether to phones for streaming large files and videos as it will eventually kill the phones. Didn't know that. The Jetpack has 15 GB before throttle, and the phones each have 22. Will only throttle in congested areas (airports, etc.) if over the throttle point and others on system who are not. That's their story anyway.

Same as post #11. I feel confident it is correct as we both got the same story.

10. Print this Post   #20

Re: RESOLVED: Verizon MiFi is slow when streaming

here in central/south texas , verizion slams data plan when you reach limit - congested area or not , business , consumer plans - all same - reach plan data amount- so slow you just don't want to use anyway - sprint has truly unlimited if it works your area.
    -
    2017 bighorn 3760

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast