Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: RESOLVED: Verizon MiFi is slow when streaming

1. Print this Post   #1

RESOLVED: Verizon MiFi is slow when streaming

I've read a lot of threads looking for a clue but to no avail so pardon if the answer is there.

I have an unlimited plan with (3) devices. (2) smart phones, one is mine the other the DW's. I also have a MIFI5510L Jetpack.

The conundrum is that when connecting our Roku to the devices I can get great streaming via my Samsung phone and DW's Iphone, but not the Jetpack. I have tested them all at the same location connecting to the same applications and the phones will outdo the Jetpack every time. I can connect via the Jetpack, and work online with my computer fine, but not do any large data streaming.

Part of the reason I like the (3) device system, is that if I understand how Verizon operates concerning their speed throttling practices, I get 10GB per device before they throttle that device.

Just curious if anyone with similar systems/experiences would like to comment. Thx.
    http://udsresort.blogspot.com/

HOC #3586

2015 Bighorn M-3875FB on a MountainMaster air ride hitch
    2002 Silverado LT 3500 4x4 CC, DRW , 6.6L Turbodiesel with Banks PowerPack bundle and exhaust brake upgrade

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely!

2. Print this Post   #2
    Heartland: Director of Owners Interests jbeletti's Avatar

Re: verizon mifi users...

Is it possible that the MiFi has a different billing cycle date than the phones? Sounds like the MiFi is being throttled.

I stream to my RV Roku from my wired RV network which is fed Internet via a Home MiFi (unless I have good park WiFi).
    Jim Beletti
    Director of Owner Interests
    Heartland RVs

Index of my Sundance 262 RB Modifications

Club membership is free and it's easy to join. Click here to learn more

Check out our Owner-written User Guides and Troubleshooting Guides

3. Print this Post   #3
    Movin' on to the next thing... JohnD's Avatar

I have a Verizon Jetpack 7730L 4G LTE and use mostly computers with it (on it right now).

That is our internet at home and everywhere else.

I had the 'Beyond Unlimited' plan, which throttles down at 15GB to unusable speeds, and Verizon graciously offers another 5GB of high speed for $35 for the remaining days till you roll over.

I just recently upgraded to a new plan (not sure what they call it) for $10 more per month that gives 20GB before throttling down, but to 3G speeds instead of super snails pace speeds.

I've never streamed anything so can't give any advice on that.
    Yuma AZ

Heartland Prowler RV Owners Facebook Page
    -------No Prowler Needed To Join! ^ CLICK HERE! ^

----Where my Heartland's have been:

4. Print this Post   #4

I had, and to some effect still do, have the same problem with AT&T. Seems like we can do most anything with our phones as long as we are actually using them.....like watching a movie. If they sit idle their Connection to what they are hooked to the connection drops.

Our hotspot works good for email and web browsing but many times comes up short when watching a movie.

Sometimes turning it it off and back on helps as we pick up a new connection.

I called tech support and they told me the hot spot was not set correctly on their end and it got better.....not the best....but better.
    Gary Powell

2013 Bighorn 3010 RE
    2015 Chevrolet 3500 SRW Diesel

5. Print this Post   #5

Quote Originally Posted by jbeletti View Post
    I stream to my RV Roku from my wired RV network which is fed Internet via a Home MiFi (unless I have good park WiFi).
    Would you like to expound on that Jim? Are you saying that your Roku is at home and that you connect from your RV network to your home wireless network?

HOC #3586

2002 Silverado LT 3500 4x4 CC, DRW , 6.6L Turbodiesel with Banks PowerPack bundle and exhaust brake upgrade

6. Print this Post   #6

I had the Verizon unlimited data and the throttling after 15 GB made it almost worthless. I switched to 24GB and there is no throttling, plus they gave me a 2G monthly bonus for signing up. One nice thing about it is the unused GBs roll over to the next month so when we are home I can kind of stock up since I don't use the jet pack at home. I can't help you on the streaming because we only stream things like how to videos or short documentaries, no long movies.
    Peg and Mike Finnegan, Faithful Traveling Companion Cameo (RIP), adopted furry friend Molly, San Angelo, TX
    US Army Retired, Vietnam Vet, 2017 F350 King Ranch,
    2018 Landmark Oshkosh.
    Rallies:
    2011: Spring, Canton, TX; 2012: Spring, TX; Thackerville, OK (X2)
    2013; Santo, Montgomery, Canton, Beaumont, TX; Durant, Thackerville, OK
    2014; Carthage, Mo; Amana, IA; Santo, Bullard, Montgomery, TX; Durant, Thackerville, OK
    2015; Goshen, IN; Kinder, New Iberia, LA; Boerne, Kerrville, Sweetheart, Santo, TX; Durant (X2), OK; Carthage, MO
    2016; Sweetheart, Quanah, Weatherford, Canton, Ingram, TX; Henderson, LA; Durant, OK; Mountain View, AR; Branson, Plattes Ville, MO: Las Vegas, NV
    2017; Sweetheart, Alpine, Montgomery, Tyler, TX; Branson, MO; Mountain View, AR; Goshen, IN; Kinder, LA; Vinita, Oklahoma City, OK.

2018; Abilene, Tyler, TX; Branson, MO; Mountain View, AR; Kinder, LA; Eufala, Oklahoma City, OK.

7. Print this Post   #7
    Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders TravelTiger's Avatar

It could be the jet pack technology is just old? I upgraded to the newest hotspot about a year ago, and haven't had hardly any streaming issues since. But we may be talking apples to oranges, since I'm on AT&T and using a Netgear Unite Explore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Erika Dorsey
    Founding
    Texas - West Chapter Leader
    Erika & Tony with two traveling cats, Mambo and Tango
    2016 Big Country 4010RD
    2010 ElkRidge 34QSRL (gone)
    2008 NorthTrail 21FBS (gone)
    2016 GMC Sierra SLT 3500 crew cab, long bed, DRW, 4X4
    B&W Companion 20K hitch, Reese 5th Airborne Pin Box, 507 TST, Torklift Glowstep Revolution Steps,
    MorRyde SRE4000, Winegard Trav'ler, Furrion High-Speed Observation Camera, SmartPlug 50amp Connector
    Visit our blog at http://mammothtravels.blogspot.com/
    HOC #1733

8. Print this Post   #8

Quote Originally Posted by TravelTiger View Post
    It could be the jet pack technology is just old? I upgraded to the newest hotspot about a year ago, and haven't had hardly any streaming issues since. But we may be talking apples to oranges, since I'm on AT&T and using a Netgear Unite Explore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, my jet pack is several years old, but it has been doing the job so I haven't bothered to upgrade. We only use it in the RV. I use Suddenlink at home and it is high speed and of course unlimited data.
    Peg and Mike Finnegan, Faithful Traveling Companion Cameo (RIP), adopted furry friend Molly, San Angelo, TX
    US Army Retired, Vietnam Vet, 2017 F350 King Ranch,
    2018 Landmark Oshkosh.
    Rallies:
    2011: Spring, Canton, TX; 2012: Spring, TX; Thackerville, OK (X2)
    2013; Santo, Montgomery, Canton, Beaumont, TX; Durant, Thackerville, OK
    2014; Carthage, Mo; Amana, IA; Santo, Bullard, Montgomery, TX; Durant, Thackerville, OK
    2015; Goshen, IN; Kinder, New Iberia, LA; Boerne, Kerrville, Sweetheart, Santo, TX; Durant (X2), OK; Carthage, MO
    2016; Sweetheart, Quanah, Weatherford, Canton, Ingram, TX; Henderson, LA; Durant, OK; Mountain View, AR; Branson, Plattes Ville, MO: Las Vegas, NV
    2017; Sweetheart, Alpine, Montgomery, Tyler, TX; Branson, MO; Mountain View, AR; Goshen, IN; Kinder, LA; Vinita, Oklahoma City, OK.

2018; Abilene, Tyler, TX; Branson, MO; Mountain View, AR; Kinder, LA; Eufala, Oklahoma City, OK.

9. Print this Post   #9
    Heartland: Director of Owners Interests jbeletti's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by uncledon View Post
    Would you like to expound on that Jim? Are you saying that your Roku is at home and that you connect from your RV network to your home wireless network?
    All this gear is in the RV. I have a hybrid network in the RV - both wired and wireless.

Most items are connected to the network via Ethernet. Phones and laptops are connected via WiFi.

The "home" item I referenced is the MiFi. Verizon sells one they call Home MiFi (by Novatel). In addition to being able to generate a hotspot with it, it also has Ethernet ports. I have turned off the hotspot (WiFi) feature and use the Ethernet ports (the reason I got it).

Roku, like most other items that can connect to a wired network is connected to my network via Ethernet.

Cellular Internet gets on the network by being routed out of the Home MiFi via it's Ethernet port and into a network switch.

Hope that helps and is not too much info.

Also, like someone else suggested, consider replacing your MiFi with a more current model.
    Jim Beletti
    Director of Owner Interests
    Heartland RVs

Index of my Sundance 262 RB Modifications

Club membership is free and it's easy to join. Click here to learn more

Check out our Owner-written User Guides and Troubleshooting Guides

10. Print this Post   #10

Thanks for the specifics Jim. Appreciate it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

HOC #3586

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast