California Highway 12

Mullins

Anyone out there ever been over highway 12 from I-80 to Petaluma, ca. via highway 12 with a 5th wheel? ..just wondering what the road is like, never been on it.. Thanks..:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

G_S

Not in a fifth wheel, but I have in a tractor trailer. Not a difficult road to travel, commute hours are not advisable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mullins

We had just about the same thread just a couple of weeks ago from someone going from Pine Grove (Hwy 88 East of Jackson) to Petaluma who was asking about Hwy 12. I couldn't find the old thread with a search.

I thought Hwy 12 would be OK, a lot of RV's take it, but if you wanted a better road you could go West on I-80 to Vallejo, and catch Hwy 37 North over to US Hwy101 at Novato, then a short jaunt Northwest to Petaluma.

Thank you. 12 would have been an alternate route to eventually get to Fort Bragg, Ca. Since I did not know anything about 12 I was going to go 37, I have been on that stretch many of times..

- - - Updated - - -

We had just about the same thread just a couple of weeks ago from someone going from Pine Grove (Hwy 88 East of Jackson) to Petaluma who was asking about Hwy 12. I couldn't find the old thread with a search.

I thought Hwy 12 would be OK, a lot of RV's take it, but if you wanted a better road you could go West on I-80 to Vallejo, and catch Hwy 37 North over to US Hwy101 at Novato, then a short jaunt Northwest to Petaluma.
Forgot to mention; since highway 20 is open now, I'll go that route..

- - - Updated - - -

What are your actual starting and ending points? That would help with the answer.
Since the fire had closed highway 20 due to fires, I was looking for a different way to get to Fort Bragg. it was either 12 or 37, leaning towards 37. 20 is open now, Been over that way a few times,

wdk450

Hwy 12 from Petaluma would get you to Hwy 1 at Bodega BAy. The Hwy 1 route from there North to Fort Bragg is kind of hairy for wider vehicles, being a VERY NARROW ROADWAY WITH A GOOD SIZED DITCH ALONG THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE ROAD most of the way from Jenner to Mendocino.

As windy as Hwy 20 is through the coastal redwood mountains, it is still a wider road with some turnouts that 1 North doesn't have, and a constant flow of traffic if you have trouble. I was once stranded about 7 miles East of Ft. Bragg on 20 and was able to get Verizon cell service - I would expect most of Hwy 1 to be without cell service. OK Hwy 1 is VERY SCENIC, but you can't enjoy the scenery while trying scared to keep your rig on the roadway.