Carrying Spare Bearings & Roadside Repair

gslabbert5119

Does anyone carry spare bearings and the tools to replace them roadside?

I was taking my rig to the storage area and there was a boat with a missing trailer wheel and this reminded me that it may be something that I should consider, also that I need to inspect my bearings prior to this long trip that we are undertaking.

Gavin

Gaffer

I have a complete take off from a disk brake upgrade someone had done at a rally ( One corner only). Drum, bearing, backing plate, magnets, etc. Need to start taking some of it with me when travelling and all of it to my annual service.

Lou_and_Bette

I have carried an extra set of bearings and the tool set from Harbour Freight since day one. I haven’t needed it on the road yet. I do use the tools when I repack my bearings at our winter home. I really carry the extra bearings in case I would have one go bad at night, or on a weekend, when part stores are closed and roadside service doesn’t have one on their truck.

NHCelt

Ditto....

I have carried an extra set of bearings and the tool set from Harbour Freight since day one. I haven’t needed it on the road yet. I do use the tools when I repack my bearings at our winter home. I really carry the extra bearings in case I would have one go bad at night, or on a weekend, when part stores are closed and roadside service doesn’t have one on their truck.

rhodies1

I also carry a complete set of bearings and races and a tube of grease,bearings are no good unless you have grease

Lou_and_Bette

I also carry a complete set of bearings and races and a tube of grease,bearings are no good unless you have grease

You are very correct, I omitted mentioning that I also carry a tube of grease with the bearing kit...wouldn’t leave home without it.;)

brianrobb

Always - I carry and extra hub, left and right drum brake, extra springs, extra wet bolts/grease, and could fashion a rudimentary stick welder out of the RV batteries if I really needed it. My thought is a few hundred in extra parts is better than paying a lot more than that for a mobile mechanic on the side of the highway.

wdk450

One of the nifty gadgets I have in my kitchen is a vacuum bag sealer. Maybe some of you carrying bearings would like to hand grease them well and then put them in vacuum seal bags, so they are ready to go in a breakdown.

Lou_and_Bette

One of the nifty gadgets I have in my kitchen is a vacuum bag sealer. Maybe some of you carrying bearings would like to hand grease them well and then put them in vacuum seal bags, so they are ready to go in a breakdown.

What a great suggestion Bill. While I have never needed the spares I carry, I can see how this would be very helpful. I hadn't thought of the need to grease the bearing, but I really carried these so, in case of break down, roadside tech wouldn't have to go seeking the correct part. I do repack my own bearings but don't carry my repacking tool and now, if I want to change them myself in this scenario, they will be pre-grease. Another example of the useful info this site delivers. Thanks to all members who contribute, and, most importantly, thanks to the core members who keep it running.

jleavitt11

retired Utah Chapter Leaders
It would seem very hard to carry every spare part that might break. In 40 years of towing a trailer I have never had to change a wheel bearing on the side of the road. Only one tire in that time frame. I would think regular inspections of the wheel bearings and other related parts to be an easier approach. JMHO

sengli

If I was in need of changing something this in depth on the road, I wouldnt be able to do it anyway. So I dont carry anything other than tools enough to change a tire. But I dont go that far with my RV.

Lou_and_Bette

It would seem very hard to carry every spare part that might break. In 40 years of towing a trailer I have never had to change a wheel bearing on the side of the road. Only one tire in that time frame. I would think regular inspections of the wheel bearings and other related parts to be an easier approach. JMHO

Jeff, you are correct, to some extent. I inspect brake assemblies and wheel components annually but that doesn't guarantee problem free. We are full-timers so we are in our rig most of the time. I carry some spare parts, mostly those that, if one should fail, I can get to a safe parking area where I can either get some help or repair the problem myself. This is one of those parts and they don't take up much room. When we first started full-timing, 7 years ago, we attended the National rally in Gillet, WY. Glen, from Dexter, was at that rally and gave a most informative presentation on maintain the entire axel assembly. He recommended carrying the extra set of bearings after relating a story about an RV'r who had a problem with the wheel assembly and there was a need to replace a bearing. After his roadside provider arrived, he would have been able to complete the repair but, by the time he arrived and diagnosed the problem, and determined he didn't have the correct set of bearings with him, all the part stores were closed. So, they were forced to leave the RV there, luckily at a rest stop, overnight. Long dissertation, short morale, cheap insurance and more peace of mind. Your choice.